U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,083 posts, read 2,816,523 times
Reputation: 12061

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Most of us who worked those kinds of jobs competently - certainly all the ones I ever held - come to a certain point where you can make a middle class living by sticking with them & becoming a lifer. The question is, do you want to?
You're again implying that these are placeholder or second-rate jobs, and for many - especially up to the junior management level - I'm sure they are.

But maybe you don't make a good retail or fast-food manager without it being something of your preference. Many people like hard, challenging work and don't much care about its status or cachet; being yet another office manager or software developer might bore them to tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,415 posts, read 3,725,158 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You're again implying that these are placeholder or second-rate jobs, and for many - especially up to the junior management level - I'm sure they are.

But maybe you don't make a good retail or fast-food manager without it being something of your preference. Many people like hard, challenging work and don't much care about its status or cachet; being yet another office manager or software developer might bore them to tears.
There were certain advantages, challenges, and rewards, to be sure. Some people I worked with did get excited about the business of retail or food service & are still in it.

Personally I hated it. I was not the kind of person who could easily let negative interactions with customers roll off my back. It would ruin my whole day & cause me to lose sleep that night whenever it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,704 posts, read 2,513,117 times
Reputation: 2910
Average in n out brings in $4.6 million in revenue that salary is less than 3% total store revenue. That's double the revenue of the average McDonald's. Both were started in California of course showing the greatness of California started companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 6,004,945 times
Reputation: 1414
The averages are a bit skewed comparing In and Out to national chains. The vast majority of In and Outs are in very high COL areas. Every podunk town in the country has a Taco Bell, McDs and Wendys where the cost of living is drastically less. Regardless, good for them for paying their people a reasonable wage. Working 60+ hours a week, managing dozens of people and helping make the corporation a few million $ a year deserves reasonable compensation. They are obviously making money and retaining good people from what I can tell. I enjoy getting a burger there when I am in CA or AZ for work and they are always clean, well run and consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 06:51 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 574,096 times
Reputation: 3713
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Fast food is unappealing to me. I live in a small town with some great little mom&pop restaurants. Most of them struggle to keep the doors open.
The masses here complain there are no good restaurants yet the lines to McDonald's, Taco Bell, Starbucks are always long.
Do they even KNOW what a good restaurant looks like?
ETA: I agree with those who say fast food managers earn their pay. I'd be willing to bet many of them do have business degrees.
And here's the kicker: food at a diner is only about 20% more expensive and that's with leaving a tip. You'll likely get a just as large if not larger portion, better nutrition, and infinitely better quality.

A "meal" at most fast food places is between $6-9, not exactly cheap, which is mind-boggling considering that most of their patrons are poor. Do they not know how to cook? Middle class and better people do not purchase fast food often (if at all), and we're healthier and wealthier for it. Food cooked at home is always cheapest.

I'll admit that I sneak in a couple sandwiches at Chick-Fil-A about once a month, one on the fly, and one to save for later, but I always consider the number of minutes that I end up working to pay for those sandwiches and obviously a loaf of bread + some fixings is way, way cheaper.

Last edited by InchingWest; 05-20-2019 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling / Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,559 posts, read 8,386,623 times
Reputation: 29100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I came to believe that In-N-Outs came from the factory with a line of 20 cars for the drive-up.

Never understood the rabid obsession with the chain. Decent burgers, a little pricey, but absolutely nothing special. I chalk it up to cult status, like Coors beer before it went national.
Me neither. I found their burgers mediocre at best. But Texans have high standards for beef and Mexican food. I don't think we even have In 'n' Out here. I ate it a few times out of state. As for the pay for the fast food managers, they work a crazy number of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
2,772 posts, read 977,830 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
And here's the kicker: food at a diner is only about 20% more expensive and that's with leaving a tip. You'll likely get a just as large if not larger portion, better nutrition, and infinitely better quality.

A "meal" at most fast food places is between $6-9, not exactly cheap, which is mind-boggling considering that most of their patrons are poor. Do they not know how to cook? Middle class and better people do not purchase fast food often (if at all), and we're healthier and wealthier for it. Food cooked at home is always cheapest.
This is just ignorance. How is a burger at a diner better quality? My family and I eat fast food way more often than restaurant food and we are upper middle class. I wasn't always so though and I worked in fast food and in swanky joints. The reality is the food is the same "quality" healthwise. The fast food place had very strict health standards compared to the restaurants I was at. Its really just prepared and served in a much more fancy way in a restaurant, but when its first being prepared it looks the same. This is probably one of the few areas I agree with Trump on. I shake my head at people who only eat in restaurants because of some ignorant belief that fast food is inferior healthwise. But the main reason we don't bother with restaurants very often is we have better ways to spend an hour than sit in a noisy place waiting for someone to bring us food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM
 
18,719 posts, read 13,492,794 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Me neither. I found their burgers mediocre at best. But Texans have high standards for beef and Mexican food. I don't think we even have In 'n' Out here. I ate it a few times out of state. As for the pay for the fast food managers, they work a crazy number of hours.

We don’t have one in Houston but there are a number of them in Texas. Mostly the DFW area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
5,284 posts, read 4,025,019 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Average in n out brings in $4.6 million in revenue that salary is less than 3% total store revenue. That's double the revenue of the average McDonald's. Both were started in California of course showing the greatness of California started companies.
And yet chick fil a, a company not started in California blows them all away with sales per store exceeding everyone else including McDonald’s and is only open 6 days a week instead of 7. In an out had 575 million in sales. Not sure why you had to throw the “California is great” comment.

The top three fast food franchises for yearly U.S. sales, according to the 2018 QSR Magazine Report, which breaks down sales numbers from the previous year, were McDonald’s, Starbucks and Subway. Here’s how the numbers shook out:

McDonald’s -- 14,036 units, $37,480,670,000 in sales, or $2,670,320 in sales per unit.
Starbucks -- 13,930 units, $13,167,610,000 in sales, or $945,270 in sales per unit.
Subway -- 25,908 units, $10,800,000,000 in sales, or $416,860 in sales per unit.
Now, if you were starting your own business, you’d be pretty happy with any of those numbers. The worst of them, Subway, is reeling in nearly $11 billion in sales each year.




https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/320615
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 AM
 
4,797 posts, read 3,196,015 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
The averages are a bit skewed comparing In and Out to national chains. The vast majority of In and Outs are in very high COL areas. Every podunk town in the country has a Taco Bell, McDs and Wendys where the cost of living is drastically less. Regardless, good for them for paying their people a reasonable wage. Working 60+ hours a week, managing dozens of people and helping make the corporation a few million $ a year deserves reasonable compensation. They are obviously making money and retaining good people from what I can tell. I enjoy getting a burger there when I am in CA or AZ for work and they are always clean, well run and consistent.
exactly. I live in Los Angeles area and make around that amount. If you have a family then 113k is not going to be enough to own a house, probably not enough to own a condo in a area with good schools and not enough have anything left over to save towards retirement. If you are young and single it could be a decent salary but for others it's barely middle class. I'm sure In N Out managers in AZ/NV are making closer to that base of $83k. I will say that In N Out and Chick Fil A have the best and seemingly happiest crews I've ever seen in a fast food restaurant so managing one of those probably isn't nearly as stressful as managing a McDonalds or Taco Bell.

Chick Fil A is really the best deal. You can become a franchise operator for $10k investment and the operators in big markets like LA can make over $1 million/year. But getting a franchise is very competitive and nearly impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top