U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 AM

18,373 posts, read 20,110,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
An InO run for burgers and fries was always 20-25% higher than one to BK or even Wendy's. They're not outrageous like the premium burger places, but they're not cheap, either.

So people are obsessed with them, expect to wait three times as long for the goods and tend to be all squee about things like the secret menu. If that's not cult fandom, I don't know what is. I also saw 10:1 more InO bumper stickers than even the most prevalent McD, BK or other chain stickers. Of course, a large percentage of the stickers that were issued reading "In N Out Burgers" are edited to "In N Out urge"... more culty behavior.

They're okay burgers and an okay company. I just never much cared for them over good burger shacks.
Ok so you’re the 1% In and Out hater crowd. This discussion isn’t gonna change your or my mind but hey some like Fords some like Chevys right? I’m sure the owner is tossing and turning because a few people don’t like her food or prices. As far as waiting....yeah it’s a long line. So are ride lines at Disneyland and people wait in those too. I have received a wrong order once. In 30 years of going to in and out. I called their main office and they sent me free meal coupons.

Hey I get it you don’t like in and out but Jesus Christ do some research before you spout off prices.

IN AND OUT
Singles
Double-Double Burger $3.45
Cheeseburger $2.40
Hamburger $2.10
Combos
Double-Double Burger $6.70
Cheeseburger $5.65
Hamburger $5.35

BURGER KING
Single Whopper $4.19
Double Whopper $5.29

Combos
Whopper – Meal $6.49
Double Whopper – Meal $7.59

For fast food type burgers In and Out is better than BK, Wendy’s, McDees, etc. but to each his own. Lots of people go to in and out because they like the food. That’s why you keep going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 AM

8,579 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok so you’re the 1% In and Out hater crowd.
Nope. But you pretty much proved my point that the 20% religiously-converted crowd can't stand anyone that doesn't idolize the place. 'Minds me of the early Starbucks crowd that couldn't be arsed to go to a real, indie coffee house because they weren't by the malls and highway exits. They never shut up about the holy wonders of their new chain home, too.

For one thing, I don't compare them to the other chains. I've simply found one-off burger shacks that are far better. And rarely have lines. Or drive-thrus, for that matter. You actually have to get out of your car (gasp! in California!) and walk to the counter. Shocking, I know.

Last edited by Quietude; 05-24-2019 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM

3,900 posts, read 2,742,272 times
Quote:
Nope. But you pretty much proved my point that the 20% religiously-converted crowd can't stand anyone that doesn't idolize the place.
There is no religiously converted crowd, no idolizing, no hatred or dislike of people who eat somewhere else.

It's a burger place.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There is no religiously converted crowd, no idolizing, no hatred or dislike of people who eat somewhere else.
I'm sorry, I lived in North California when they rolled in, bringing their hordes of squee Bay Area expats with them, and for several years of listening to adoring talk about it.

Maybe it's gotten better. But when even Bosch winks at their absurd secret menu, y'know...

Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,762,574 times
Quote:
Nope. But you pretty much proved my point that the 20% religiously-converted crowd can't stand anyone that doesn't idolize the place. 'Minds me of the early Starbucks crowd that couldn't be arsed to go to a real, indie coffee house because they weren't by the malls and highway exits. They never shut up about the holy wonders of their new chain home, too.

For one thing, I don't compare them to the other chains. I've simply found one-off burger shacks that are far better. And rarely have lines. Or drive-thrus, for that matter. You actually have to get out of your car (gasp! in California!) and walk to the counter. Shocking, I know.
An what does all your bashing here have to do with what a manager makes?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
An what does all your bashing here have to do with what a manager makes?
I haven't done any bashing... merely countered the squee claims about how incredibly wonderful they are.

I've said about four times they're okay-pretty good burgers and stores. Just not the best by any means.

See also: thread drift after dozens of posts. I didn't bring up InO's food etc.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:11 PM

1,827 posts, read 738,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's something to be said for staying the course with jobs that society generally considers less desirable.

Young people seem to want something glamorous, with an instant big payday. Not to mention the common tossing around of the word "loser", towards people who hold these jobs, that tends to exert peer group pressure to avoid said occupations.
Yes. It's embarrassing being a manager at a fast food restaurant. It looks and sounds a lot better to be a manager in an office, doesn't it? People always claim they work for the paycheck only; well, why don't those people become an In-N-Out manager? It's often higher pay than their office job.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,060,015 times
My wife is an employer defense attorney and we both agree that good store managers are well worth their compensation. Imagine all the waste, inefficiencies, sexual harassment, violated protect-class protections, shrinkage, turnover, and lost customers if you have an ineffective manager in place. The store's success and a company's profits is dependent on that position.

As for comments assuming the manager works 70+ hours a week, why don't we find one and ask them. 70 hours sounds a bit extreme considering most In N Outs are open 108 hours a week (10:30a-1a).

Now for pricing, yes they've increased prices over the decades. I remember burgers was $1.15 back in 2001. My order:
regular hamburger - whole slice grilled onion with chopped chilis

wife's order:
lettuce-wrapped grilled cheese, mustard instead of spread, both grilled and raw onions, and chopped chilis.

We just had that last night with an order of fries.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,216,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Take those salaries with a grain of salt. I'm sure most of those managers are expected work 60 to 70 hours a week, and that puts it from low to mid $30 an hour. I doubt the benefit package is all that robust as well. Also, there's not a lot of job security for these people, and they have to manage some of the dregs of society as it's really hard to get good people to work for minimum wage these days.

I agree, they work there butt off for there 113k, long hours, employee issues, stress, nasty customers, working weekends and holidays when someone quits or is sick, no thanks.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 PM

5,440 posts, read 4,083,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I agree, they work there butt off for there 113k, long hours, employee issues, stress, nasty customers, working weekends and holidays when someone quits or is sick, no thanks.
Have you ever been to an in and out? The place is so well run you donít ever see nasty customers. They also get the cream of the crop of employees so there are far fewer issues with them. I agree some other fast food places will have those issues though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or