Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM

7,822 posts, read 11,708,343 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...chains-compare

$113k? Wow, that is quite a salary to manage a fast food restaurant, no need to get Bachelor's or Masters degrees in rocket science accumulating 6 digits of student debt and where wages are falling like a rock due to globalization and outsourcing, become an In N'Out manager instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
It's not a secret that fast food management can be a very lucrative career, even without points or ownership. It was pointed out to me long ago that a McD's or equivalent is one of the few industries where someone in their 20s can be handed the keys to a plant with multimillion dollar revenue.

The crappy nature of crew jobs, and even crappier reputation of most "assistant manager" positions masks that the person or persons actually in charge and responsible are very well compensated for their talents. (I have a stepson who went from part-time pizza maker to owner of one of the flagship stores... simply by dedication and grit.)

Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,267,368 times
Take those salaries with a grain of salt. I'm sure most of those managers are expected work 60 to 70 hours a week, and that puts it from low to mid $30 an hour. I doubt the benefit package is all that robust as well. Also, there's not a lot of job security for these people, and they have to manage some of the dregs of society as it's really hard to get good people to work for minimum wage these days.

This is not the description of a great job regardless of the annual salary.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 PM

23,884 posts, read 10,251,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...chains-compare

$113k? Wow, that is quite a salary to manage a fast food restaurant, no need to get Bachelor's or Masters degrees in rocket science accumulating 6 digits of student debt and where wages are falling like a rock due to globalization and outsourcing, become an In N'Out manager instead!
There are plenty of jobs in that range with do not require an academic degree. Fast food store managers earn their pay!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Take those salaries with a grain of salt. I'm sure most of those managers are expected work 60 to 70 hours a week, and that puts it from low to mid $30 an hour. I doubt the benefit package is all that robust as well. Also, there's not a lot of job security for these people, and they have to manage some of the dregs of society as it's really hard to get good people to work for minimum wage these days.

No job paying into six figures is a "great job" by the standards of anyone who chafes at hour 41 in a week, or any aspect that goes out the front door.

It's a lot of money for a lot of responsibility and effort.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM

32,801 posts, read 12,086,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

In-N-Out employees start at a higher than average salary of at least $13 an hour.

Benefits include 401(k), paiid vacation, dental, and vision for part and full time employees--a rarefied package in the fast food industry.

In a Glassdoor ranking of the best places to work in 2018, In-N-Out earned the Number 4 spot and beat out tech giants like Google and Microsoft.

It was the only restaurant chain in the top 50.

https://www.businessinsider.com/in-n...yee-pay-2018-1

One thing the link doesn't mention, but that those of us who are familiar with In-N-Out know, is that they don't franchise. The chain is owned by Lynsi Snyder (her grandparents were the founders).

Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,676,847 times
Wish some In and Out moved out here to NJ. Not that I'm lookin to work at one, just love them burgers is all.
Girl I went to grammar school with. Her mom was working at our local McD's. Girl heard a lotta flack from her fellow students about the employment her mother chose. Long story short. About 20 years ago we heard she was one of the regional managers or something like that. No idea what kinda income she was bringing in, but word on the street was she was living a very comfortable life.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM

17,376 posts, read 14,901,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In-N-Out employees start at a higher than average salary of at least $13 an hour.

Benefits include 401(k), paiid vacation, dental, and vision for part and full time employees--a rarefied package in the fast food industry.

In a Glassdoor ranking of the best places to work in 2018, In-N-Out earned the Number 4 spot and beat out tech giants like Google and Microsoft.

It was the only restaurant chain in the top 50.

https://www.businessinsider.com/in-n...yee-pay-2018-1

One thing the link doesn't mention, but that those of us who are familiar with In-N-Out know, is that they don't franchise. The chain is owned by Lynsi Snyder (her grandparents were the founders).

I'm a little surprised that Chick-Fil-A isn't in that list.. But they do things differently.. I believe the store 'manager' is actually the owner..

They have a really strange, but effective, franchise process.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 PM

I came to believe that In-N-Outs came from the factory with a line of 20 cars for the drive-up.

Never understood the rabid obsession with the chain. Decent burgers, a little pricey, but absolutely nothing special. I chalk it up to cult status, like Coors beer before it went national.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM

42,710 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I came to believe that In-N-Outs came from the factory with a line of 20 cars for the drive-up.

Never understood the rabid obsession with the chain. Decent burgers, a little pricey, but absolutely nothing special. I chalk it up to cult status, like Coors beer before it went national.
I attribute it to fresh food consistently prepared well at a reasonable price. The employees seem happy and do their job. And I try to support any business that pays their employees a decent salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics