Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,469,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
OK... at the risk of hijacking this thread...

What's your favorite burger chain? From Wikipedia, here are a couple good lists:

Hamburger Restaurant Chains

and

Fast Food Burger Chains

I like both In-n-Out and 5 Guys when I'm in the mood.
Five Guys is another chain that is overrated, IMO. Went there with a friend when I lived in Raleigh because she liked it. Burger was OK, but nothing special, and pricey for its size. I didn't think the store had any atmosphere at all. Red and white tiles on the wall and high ceilings painted black. Big deal. The high ceilings actually seemed to make the whole place noisier and it was difficult to have a conversation at normal speaking level. I'd rather just go to Red Robin, where you're in a nicer environment and you get good service and they've actually got some variety in their burger offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
At a more reasonable 60 hours a week, that's $36 an hour. Did you have a point?
I'm assuming he meant that 70 hours a week is a lot to work in any job, regardless of pay. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned in my thinking (I can remember when it was normal to work a 9 to 5 job, and that included the employer paying for an hour's lunch), but when did working a 12 hour day 5 days a week become "reasonable"? Personally, I value work-life balance, and working 12 hours a day all the time is just too much sacrifice from my personal life. Once in a while when things get busy is one thing, but to do it all the time, no thanks. I work in order to live, not live to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Five Guys is another chain that is overrated, IMO. Went there with a friend when I lived in Raleigh because she liked it. Burger was OK, but nothing special, and pricey for its size. I didn't think the store had any atmosphere at all. Red and white tiles on the wall and high ceilings painted black. Big deal.
That pretty much describes every gore-met burger joint in existence: we're really old fash and kewl and bare bones, which is why our 19-ingredient burgers are $11.

Oh: Jake's Wayback Burgers in the Hartford area is worth a stop.

Quote:
I'm assuming he meant that 70 hours a week is a lot to work in any job, regardless of pay.
I'll take that kindly interpretation, but my point was that not all jobs hit the intersection of short hours, high pay, stability and satisfaction. I assume no one pulling down six figures to keep making Animal Fries feels exploited, not at somewhere north of $30 an hour, even for the more extreme number.

It's the "assistant managers" who work those kind of hours, at crew pay, and have responsibility for every screwup on top of that, who need to rise up.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Five Guys is another chain that is overrated, IMO. Went there with a friend when I lived in Raleigh because she liked it. Burger was OK, but nothing special, and pricey for its size. I didn't think the store had any atmosphere at all. Red and white tiles on the wall and high ceilings painted black. Big deal. The high ceilings actually seemed to make the whole place noisier and it was difficult to have a conversation at normal speaking level. I'd rather just go to Red Robin, where you're in a nicer environment and you get good service and they've actually got some variety in their burger offerings.

Five Guys is quite expensive, but quite good as well. Of course, they likely need to throw in a coronary bypass with each meal

I'll disagree wholeheartedly with you on Red Robin.. Nastiest thing I've ever had. Truly awful.

We have a place here, not a chain.. It's a bar.. Anyone familiar with the Spartanburg, SC area will tell you.. Ike's. best burger you'll ever have.. BUT.. You go in that place, you'll smell like it the rest of the day. It's not a greasy spoon, because the knife, the fork, the plate and the walls are greasy, too.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:05 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
The thing is, I would suspect an average In-N-Out is pulling in $350K-$450K/week, with some like the one on the Las Vegas strip doing a cool million a week easy.

$113K/year for running a $15-20M/year (and up) business isn't terribly outrageous. Helps to work for a great company.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:25 AM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I attribute it to fresh food consistently prepared well at a reasonable price. The employees seem happy and do their job. And I try to support any business that pays their employees a decent salary.
Yeah, I agree with you and Labonte....reasonable, some might say even cheap.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:43 AM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
OK... at the risk of hijacking this thread...

What's your favorite burger chain? From Wikipedia, here are a couple good lists:

Hamburger Restaurant Chains

and

Fast Food Burger Chains

I like both In-n-Out and 5 Guys when I'm in the mood.
In-N-Out is one of my faves (I've been to a number of them...in 5 states IIRC (CA, NV, UT, AZ, and TX). I'm not really a fan of Five Guys, but I think I've only been to one of them (the one closest to Memorial City in Houston).

I like The Habit (a chain in Northern and Southern California that I think has about 25 locations....I've only been to the one in Stockton and the one in Livermore).

I believe there's been one burger that I liked from each of four major chains (Burger King, Carl's Jr., McDonalds, and Jack-in-the-Box), but it's been so long since I've been to any of those for a burger...I don't remember which choices those would have been (I don't eat meat very often).

Old 05-18-2019, 01:14 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
Most of the burger chains are garbage. Five Guys has good fries, their burgers are crap, unless you like thin patties, pressed on the flat top until they are over cooked. I guess you get the benefit of adding toppings to cover up the half ass burger taste.

As for the OP content, fast food store managers work insane hours and deal with a difficult work force. They also dedicated their lives to the chain in ways most can't even begin to fathom.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 AM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
The thing is, I would suspect an average In-N-Out is pulling in $350K-$450K/week, with some like the one on the Las Vegas strip doing a cool million a week easy.

$113K/year for running a $15-20M/year (and up) business isn't terribly outrageous. Helps to work for a great company.

..... I think your being a little ambitious, actually very ambitious, with those figures. $25k-40k/week is more realistic. Most locations are probably doing 1.5-2M/year with a few outliers doing more. Nevertheless, with a max potential of $113k/year that's a good deal. I doubt they work less than 60hrs a week and likely 6 days a week.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:45 AM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Most of the burger chains are garbage. Five Guys has good fries, their burgers are crap, unless you like thin patties, pressed on the flat top until they are over cooked. I guess you get the benefit of adding toppings to cover up the half ass burger taste.

As for the OP content, fast food store managers work insane hours and deal with a difficult work force. They also dedicated their lives to the chain in ways most can't even begin to fathom.

I went to to Five Guys once, and I was truly unimpressed. I'm almost sure I went to In-N-Out when a visited California a few years ago. I doubt the burgers were impressive since my memory is foggy about it. The best burger, I've had to date was in some small restaurant in San Francisco not to far away from the Golden Gate bridge. One day I'll find it on google.

Being a fast food store manager is not for the faint of heart. Yes, their lives revolve around the chain as each locations is really it's own small business. Assistant managers probably get shafted the most in most fast food restaurants. Slighty higher pay than shift leads, when you factor in the hours, less pay/bonus than the Store manager, with about 90% of the same responsibility.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I came to believe that In-N-Outs came from the factory with a line of 20 cars for the drive-up.

Never understood the rabid obsession with the chain. Decent burgers, a little pricey, but absolutely nothing special. I chalk it up to cult status, like Coors beer before it went national.
Completely agree. I've had it a few times, even tried it in twice in California (just cause there's always those saying it's better than the ones in TX). Still wasn't impressed. The burger is actually pretty good. But the fries are absolute garbage. Yes, I know they cook them fresh right there, I've seen them do it. But they still taste stale by the time I eat them. Been that way at every single location I've been to. I now live a mile from one in TX. Went there once when I first moved, haven't been back.

For the salary, I wonder how much of that is because so many locations are in some of the highest COL metros in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics