Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
little pricey? You’re kidding.
An InO run for burgers and fries was always 20-25% higher than one to BK or even Wendy's. They're not outrageous like the premium burger places, but they're not cheap, either.

Quote:
As far as cult status....yeah 20/30 cars in a drive through as soon as they open till they close tells me it’s more than cult status. One in and out in Irvine is doing three drive throughs.
So people are obsessed with them, expect to wait three times as long for the goods and tend to be all squee about things like the secret menu. If that's not cult fandom, I don't know what is. I also saw 10:1 more InO bumper stickers than even the most prevalent McD, BK or other chain stickers. Of course, a large percentage of the stickers that were issued reading "In N Out Burgers" are edited to "In N Out urge"... more culty behavior.

They're okay burgers and an okay company. I just never much cared for them over good burger shacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,041,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Wish some In and Out moved out here to NJ. Not that I'm lookin to work at one, just love them burgers is all.
Girl I went to grammar school with. Her mom was working at our local McD's. Girl heard a lotta flack from her fellow students about the employment her mother chose. Long story short. About 20 years ago we heard she was one of the regional managers or something like that. No idea what kinda income she was bringing in, but word on the street was she was living a very comfortable life.

What a wonderful post Joee5, I enjoyed reading the whole of it. You certainly have an interesting "style" as to where you place periods in order to indicate the end of a complete sentence.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
little pricey? You’re kidding.
As far as cult status....yeah 20/30 cars in a drive through as soon as they open till they close tells me it’s more than cult status. One in and out in Irvine is doing three drive throughs.
I tried In 'n Out once. As burgers go, it was pretty average. I liked that it was a basic burger without a bunch of slop. Like all fast food burgers, the bun was not toasted. I liked that they did not salt the fries. I had my mini dachshund with me, and could feed her fries without killing her kidneys. The fries themselves were nothing to write home about. The menu was limited, but burgers are their business model. Forget a crispy chicken or fish sandwich, they don't sell them.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:29 AM

9,343 posts, read 6,889,769 times
Yes I&O is disgusting trash as are all of the other fast food burger joints. If I had to pick one I'd take Culvers but it's not great either.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM

1,156 posts, read 930,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
some of the dregs of society as it's really hard to get good people to work for minimum wage these days.

People working hard jobs for little money are the dregs of society? Besides, the In-n-Out workers are very good at what they do...always energetic, friendly and orders are always accurate.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 AM

10,297 posts, read 8,462,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
People working hard jobs for little money are the dregs of society? Besides, the In-n-Out workers are very good at what they do...always energetic, friendly and orders are always accurate.
I agree. When you watch in an out those people hustle. Other fast food places they look like they done want to be there and are annoyed yo placed an order. Just a random idea, I bet most of those people at in and out 10 years from now will be more successful in life than the other fast food workers. You can just se it in their work,ethics and attitudes

Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,212,854 times
Fast food is unappealing to me. I live in a small town with some great little mom&pop restaurants. Most of them struggle to keep the doors open.
The masses here complain there are no good restaurants yet the lines to McDonald's, Taco Bell, Starbucks are always long.
Do they even KNOW what a good restaurant looks like?
ETA: I agree with those who say fast food managers earn their pay. I'd be willing to bet many of them do have business degrees.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:21 PM

10,013 posts, read 7,155,230 times
I worked at Sonic Drive-In when I was 18-19. The manager was about 30. He had started when he was 18 as a cook. He was making around $45k per year + some profit share & this was in the early 2000s. So like 60k+ in today's money. He was planning to go in with some other area managers and start their own group of franchises. I'm sure he's well off now.

Yes, you can make a decent living in fast food. If you're halfway competent it's hard not to move up by attrition alone. After 3-4 years everyone you started with will have moved on & you will be an Asst. Manager. A college degree isn't needed to be a general manager but I'm sure it helps. Sonic doesn't do much in the way of scholarships although some franchise owners have small ones. Burger King has some decent scholarships available.

But the downside is, you have to work a crappy job your whole life.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-19-2019 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
But the downside is, you have to work a crappy job your whole life.
Maybe it's not a crappy job to the people who do well at it. Yes, long hours. Continual staff headaches. Smelling grease 8-10 hours a day. On your feet. Never a task that doesn't need doing. Regulatory compliance.

But I've known several restaurant (not fast food) owners who absolutely didn't know what to do with themselves when they weren't cheerfully bossing the staff and schmoozing customers. Great restaurants all.

Not everyone limits the idea of a good job to $100k for 40 hours with lots of PTO and assignments they can cruise through and leave at the door.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:37 PM

10,013 posts, read 7,155,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Maybe it's not a crappy job to the people who do well at it. Yes, long hours. Continual staff headaches. Smelling grease 8-10 hours a day. On your feet. Never a task that doesn't need doing. Regulatory compliance.

But I've known several restaurant (not fast food) owners who absolutely didn't know what to do with themselves when they weren't cheerfully bossing the staff and schmoozing customers. Great restaurants all.

Not everyone limits the idea of a good job to $100k for 40 hours with lots of PTO and assignments they can cruise through and leave at the door.
That was a quote from one of my good friends from high school who worked at PetsMart for almost 10 years, starting her senior year of high school, when she explained to me why she spontaneously quit. She quit when they were about to train her to be a salaried manager making about $60k.

I had a similar experience at Wal-Mart. If I was still working there I'd be a 15 year veteran now, probably in the mid-range of a management team, making in the neighborhood of $70k + quite nice bonuses. More than I make now.

Most of us who worked those kinds of jobs competently - certainly all the ones I ever held - came to a certain point where we realized we could make a middle class living by sticking with them & becoming a lifer. The question is, do you want to?

Last edited by redguard57; 05-19-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics