U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM

11,036 posts, read 3,934,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've been sued twice for car wrecks where I was not at fault, so I'd like to give you some thoughts.

Was anyone injured? Was there significant damage to the cars? Do you have significant money?

If no one was injured, and there wasn't significant damage to cars, and you don't have real assets, and you don't have insurance, you're pretty much in the clear but I'd still hire a lawyer. What they're trying to do is go after your insurance company or your assets - if you don't have either, it's not worth their time and they'll go away.

An aside, I've never heard of a wreck where no one was at fault. Are you sure that's true?
FYI...………………...if you have no assets they can garnish your paycheck until the settlement is paid in full.

GET A LAWYER! Whether it was your fault or not they are trying to make it that way and you were driving a vehicle you were NOT authorized to drive and had NO insurance.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM

31,745 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtrynasurvive View Post
Yes I'm absolutely sure no one's listed at fault on the police report. The cop didn't issue any tickets and stated, let the insurance figure it out. YES I HAVE LICENSE!!!

I was the only person injured in the accident (fractured my arm) yes there was significant damage done to the rental car. It was totaled. Let me be clear the other drive HIT ME!!!!! I have been trying to find and attorney to take my case but its been over a year since this happened and thought everything was fine. The rental car was covered and fixed, so really don't understand why I'm being sued.
This is the last post by OP from 2 days ago and the odds are (just like her lack of Insurance) she'll never be back to respond to any sage advice.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 PM

20,296 posts, read 16,471,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If you qualify as low income wherever you live, there may be lawyers who take on pro bono clients in your area. If you don't have auto insurance at all, you shouldn't have been behind the wheel. And if that's the case, how did you manage to rent a car in the first place?

https://legalbeagle.com/5123208-pro-bono-lawyer.html
She didnít it was someone elseís rental and she was not put on as a driver.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 PM

207 posts, read 70,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiRetiredAt60 View Post
She never requested sympathy, actually read her posts. She is afraid of being sued.

I have. They have been disjointed and not answered any of the questions posed. I've also seen no acceptance of guilt, so can only view her somewhat incoherent story as an attempt for sympathy.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM

20,975 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I have. They have been disjointed and not answered any of the questions posed. I've also seen no acceptance of guilt, so can only view her somewhat incoherent story as an attempt for sympathy.
Why do you assume she's guilty when she said she wasn't? It's entirely possible the other driver lied, that happens all the time. Just because the insurance company is going to try to get money doesn't automatically mean that the OP actually did something wrong. I'm not saying she didn't, just that there isn't sufficient information to know.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 PM

45 posts, read 12,848 times
Quote:
She is here for help, not to grovel or admit guilt to you. Also you should'n't expect it since she's stated she is innocent.
Another driver caused the accident. I guess you missed that, too? let's lay off the blame game and false accusations and provide what the thread is intended for, info about whether she could be sued.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 PM

20,542 posts, read 13,576,401 times
Quote:

Maybe, but given spelling, grammatical, and usage errors one's first thought was OP is not an American citizen. Someone who was educated elsewhere and learned English as a second language. Only other explanation would be a very poor education, but we're not on that right now.

A person unfamiliar with American legal system might naturally turn to the internet for advice on such a serious matter instead of seeking assistance via proper channels. If any of us received such a notice from Allstate or whatever we likely would contact our attorney, and or at least realize that sort of advice is necessary. This or at very least turn to an older family member (parent, grandparent, uncle, etc..) or even sibling for advice. Anything but write long disjointed missives on a public forum for "advice".

OP's story is suspect, and subsequent posts evasive. Basic questions that want answers are still unknown, and even if the blanks were filled in there is nothing anyone here could say that already hasn't been said; *Get An Attorney*.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM

7,184 posts, read 12,577,443 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter. It is done with and she doesn't owe you a motive. She has only requested assistance AFTER THE Fact. Somehow you've missed that
I didn't miss it. I was answering her question (which I quoted including highlighting the relevant parts -- I guess you missed THAT) about WHY she was being sued.

Several people had asked her why she was driving when she hadn't told the rental car company that she would be a driver. She never answered that. It's odd that she doesn't realize that could be a problem.

Quote:
Self Righteous finger wagging is unnecessary and not helpful to the thread
No self-righteousness -- just unanswered questions from the OP. And she clearly isn't going to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or