U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 01:14 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times

Advertisements

I'm put off by the name Dress Barn. Are they calling me a cow?
Even so, I tried to visit one once, but they were closed for inventory.
I shopped their website, but couldn't find anything I wanted, and their prices were higher than I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:18 PM

170 posts, read 67,803 times
I really don't know where to shop anymore. I used to like Macy's until they started resembling Wal Mart in style and quality. Other big chain department stores also sell overpriced low quality clothing. I loved Gymboree and Crazy8 when my kids were little and even saved a few cute outfits which are of great quality, and I was shocked to see them go. They were great for everything - pjs, dresses, t-shirts, shorts. I hope Carters will stay around.
Recently, my daughter and I bought some summer essentials at Kohls - the shorts are falling apart after two washes! TJMaxx and Marshalls are overflowing with polyester or paper thin items that do not hold up.
I give up. Where do we go for affordable clothing that's going to last at least two (cross it off - ONE) seasons?
Every store we go to is filled with cheaply made fast fashion items that are gone two weeks later if you come back to that same store. None of them fit right. None of them look like something we'd want to buy.
It is very frustrating.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM

797 posts, read 1,094,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
I really don't know where to shop anymore. I used to like Macy's until they started resembling Wal Mart in style and quality. Other big chain department stores also sell overpriced low quality clothing. I loved Gymboree and Crazy8 when my kids were little and even saved a few cute outfits which are of great quality, and I was shocked to see them go. They were great for everything - pjs, dresses, t-shirts, shorts. I hope Carters will stay around.
Recently, my daughter and I bought some summer essentials at Kohls - the shorts are falling apart after two washes! TJMaxx and Marshalls are overflowing with polyester or paper thin items that do not hold up.
I give up. Where do we go for affordable clothing that's going to last at least two (cross it off - ONE) seasons?
Every store we go to is filled with cheaply made fast fashion items that are gone two weeks later if you come back to that same store. None of them fit right. None of them look like something we'd want to buy.
It is very frustrating.

That's because China is dominating the manufacturing market, and knows you'll be back for more sooner when it wears out quicker. This is by design, keeping the money flowing in.
Watch Frontlines article, China has a goal of raking in 90% of the WORLDS manufacturing.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,677,613 times
I think the problem especially with women's clothing is the chains have to keep up with being trendy. I am a male but I didn't see Dress Barn staying trendy and losing ground to places like Forever 21 and Torrid.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 PM

3,122 posts, read 801,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the problem especially with women's clothing is the chains have to keep up with being trendy. I am a male but I didn't see Dress Barn staying trendy and losing ground to places like Forever 21 and Torrid.
As a guy whose wife shops at Torrid, I can say, much better selection.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:12 PM

18,644 posts, read 7,250,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Can you say "too much debt".
All these buyouts have created huge debt service loads.

The buyouts occur , most often, when the retailer is down and out, in need of anyone willing to buy it.

So while I detest private equity, I will not overlook how their opportunities usually surface-desperation.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The buyouts occur , most often, when the retailer is down and out, in need of anyone willing to buy it.

So while I detest private equity, I will not overlook how their opportunities usually surface-desperation.
Everyone loves a good fixer-upper. Businesses. Homes. And for some people, Partners!

Oftentimes, though, we don't find out until after signing on the dotted line, that what (or whom!) we intend to fix has a mind of their own! Imagine that.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:59 PM

170 posts, read 67,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
That's because China is dominating the manufacturing market, and knows you'll be back for more sooner when it wears out quicker. This is by design, keeping the money flowing in.
Watch Frontlines article, China has a goal of raking in 90% of the WORLDS manufacturing.
All the defunct now brands were made in China, and the quality was so much better. I guess that's because the companies were American and had quality control in place. Chinese brands manufactured in China are taking over the market, and these products are horrible. Many people shop on AliExpress and Wish, but I never had and do not want to. I do not need more cheap throw away stuff. I need affordable good quality clothing and shoes.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,205,475 times
my wife told me: Dress Barn is for when i do not have to "dress".
casual or maybe casual +, but never, ever more than that.
she is all about Amazon now. i am guessing that is the hammer.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
my wife told me: Dress Barn is for when i do not have to "dress".
casual or maybe casual +, but never, ever more than that.
she is all about Amazon now. i am guessing that is the hammer.
Can't blame her.

Not having to deal with traffic, parking lots (and potential door dings), lines... none of that.

Some people I know will even order 4 pieces at once, fully intent on returning 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics