U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,046,843 times

Advertisements

My first job was in 2002 working at an event planner company during the recession. We literally had out-of-work engineers and college grads working for $10/hour doing pretty simple tasks. Unemployment was probably around 6% at the time and skilled workers were seeking jobs *below their potential out of need for a paycheck. Fast-forward to 2006 where unemployment was under 4% and business owners struggled to find workers to fill positions. After the Credit Crash, many people found sanctuary in the gig-economy. College educated folks were working odd-jobs here and there to make ends meet until the economy improved.

Well the economy has improved and now employers (including the gig-economy) are struggling to fill positions again with record-low unemployment. Not to be too judgey, but I'm sure we all think of a handful of recent-hires as under-qualified, lack a good work ethic, or are "unemployable." Now we're seeing it in the gig-economy too where we might have hit rock-bottom. There are cases of Uber Eats drivers consuming their customer's food before delivery, ride-share drivers doing horrible things, and now this petsitter inviting relatives/getting naked/and probably having sex all over the client's home:

https://youtu.be/wDMNBeeflP4

I'm glad I'm not an employer. Thoughts?

*I typically hate the idea of being "over-qualified" because too many workers think they are better than their job...which inherently proves them wrong in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM

8,079 posts, read 2,816,523 times
One of my touchstones for very low employment is complete morons, walking zombies, in customer service positions. I remember it well in low-unemployment times past. Very frustrating.

Have not seen it this round. I suppose bottom-end CS and gig jobs will start showing some strain, sooner or later.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,507 posts, read 54,051,619 times
I haven't seen that, but in our office we have been having a lot of trouble finding qualified people to fill vacancies with many retirements and several good people being poached by Amazon and others. For example, an Accountant opening that pays about $80,000 resulted in 30+ applicants, with only 4 that actually met the requirements. We interviewed them and selected the only one that was suitable based on the interviews, negotiated the starting pay and date, verified references, then the day before the start date the applicant called and bailed. We now have to re-announce and start all over. Currently we have 20 openings in progress, and a backlog waiting for HR to get to them.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:35 PM

23,305 posts, read 17,347,832 times
In my neck of the woods, there are plenty of jobs available in the $10-$12/hr range. The challenge is finding people who are literate, can pass a drug test (sans pot), and who show up.

There aren't enough decent jobs in the $50k+ range that people can live off of.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM

435 posts, read 262,632 times
Once went to an Economist lecture where he explained his "iced tea test" to confirm his data. He'd land, rent a car at the airport and drive to a fast food place and order an iced tea. Typically a dollar and change cost. He'd pull up to the window and hand them three ones and like 47 cents in mixed change. He'd time how long it took them to figure it out. The longer it took the better the economy. He said the very best economies were where after five minutes the manager opened the window and handed him both the tea and all his money because no one could figure it out.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,666,982 times
Will be nice when we get these AI bots programmed correctly.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM

676 posts, read 175,030 times
The ten dollar an hour jobs are still available for the less educated to perform. Full employment means the dumbest of the dumb are now working.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:51 PM

8,079 posts, read 2,816,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
The ten dollar an hour jobs are still available for the less educated to perform. Full employment means the dumbest of the dumb are now working.
Not in my experience; see above. I find it worrisome that there aren't any walking dead at fast food counters etc., with the unemployment rate at nil and jobs going wanting. Supposedly.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM

21,552 posts, read 14,180,052 times
We are hearing that local police jobs are going unfilled.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM

676 posts, read 175,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are hearing that local police jobs are going unfilled.
Most people would not pass the background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or