U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,070,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Sydney has almost 5 million people and is extremely culturally rich and ethnically diverse. It has great food too. Also much nicer nature and weather than NYC.
Melbourne also has nearly 5 million people, and many of the same qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM

25,958 posts, read 28,355,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
It’s merely in proportion to the overall high COL
I don't think it is, which is why I made the comment.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM

25,958 posts, read 28,355,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
But yes, whinge we may but we have the highest median wealth per capita of a major country last time I checked it.
That's because of your superannuation plans that effectively force people to save. I wish we would do that in America. And it's also because of overpriced real estate. It's unfortunate, but if you don't force people to save, most won't build any significant wealth on their own.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 AM

838 posts, read 306,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's because of your superannuation plans that effectively force people to save. I wish we would do that in America. And it's also because of overpriced real estate. It's unfortunate, but if you don't force people to save, most won't build any significant wealth on their own.
Yes, our tax regime encourages the ownership of investment properties. I think about a quarter of Aussies own or partly own IPs. One of the reasons the Labor Party did so badly in the recent elections was that they wanted to cut back on the tax perks regarding IPs. I think they forgot that many of their previous followers, be they ordinary working people, are landlords. And then there was the issue of imputation credits. They pretty well lost the retirees vote on wanting to cut that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics