Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I can't disagree much with any of the above posts and interpretation. I think the root of the designation may have come from the offspring of the socially elite (particularly from about 1700 on) getting a classic "liberal education," which involved Latin, the study of Greek culture and philosophy, and other "worldly" subjects that broadened their viewpoints far beyond the parochial and narrow views of the lower classes. There has always been a certain amount of backlash against the highly educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I can't disagree much with any of the above posts and interpretation. I think the root of the designation may have come from the offspring of the socially elite (particularly from about 1700 on) getting a classic "liberal education," which involved Latin, the study of Greek culture and philosophy, and other "worldly" subjects that broadened their viewpoints far beyond the parochial and narrow views of the lower classes. There has always been a certain amount of backlash against the highly educated.
I think you're spot on. People want to educate themselves, yet the majority of people that I know who are lower middle class use the term educated as an insult basically like saying privileged. That's why I thought it meant private school graduates as opposed to college graduates in general because its used in the same way that people say millionaires.

The majority of Americans now have some college background. My friend was talking about how Hoboken, New Jersey, was ghetto yet affordable in the past but has thence been gentrified by highly educated people. Now this guy went to Rutgers so he wasn't talking about himself he was talking about millionaires.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:01 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I keep hearing people throw around the word "educated" to describe people who are rich in some capacity or who are gentrifiers in my area, as opposed to the salt of the earth common people in society.

Does this simply mean one who has a college degree, or does it mean someone who has a college degree from an elite school? I don't consider myself "educated" but I have a degree due to living in a state that has a low cost 4 year college program (not every state has cheap "city" colleges).
I think it’s another way to say “professional” as in doctor, lawyer, accountant...more white collar than blue collar. Those sorts of careers require usually not only a Bachelors, but further education.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:26 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was educated before I went to college. What matters is intellectual curiosity and the ability for critical thought. I didn’t magically acquire that at my university. I know lots of people with degrees from 3rd tier state schools who aren’t intellectually engaged and who have zero capability for critical thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There seems to be an inconsistency between your first three sentences and your last. Is it possible you left off three more?
I don’t understand your question to that poster, so now I have to wonder if I didn’t understand his post. Three what?

I remember when universities attempted to teach ‘critical thinking’ (maybe they still do?) & it doesn’t work. It’s not something you can teach someone; they either have it or they don’t. Many highly educated people do not critically think. Many uneducated people do. Critical thinking is not necessary for educational attainment but it could theoretically make it harder. In fact, I’d bet it does.

There is a reason the group of people considered ‘well educated with status in their community’ are considered to be the most susceptible to government propaganda & therin lies the origin of some of the contempt that other groups seem to have towards them.

I think that Einstein was a good example of both high intelligence & critical thinking capabilities. Yet it couldn’t be said that he ever acknowledged or even desired, any level of social status.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:34 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
I think educated refers to people who are knowledgeable in the liberal arts subjects. They have read and understand many of the great books, poets, and philosophers and studied European and eastern history as well as some ancient history. Have a fair knowledge of religion and science. Probably have taken math up to at least calculus. No college degree necessary. FYI, Zuckerberg went to an elite prep school and covered those topics in high school. Some people learn by self study and travel. Some are lucky enough to be born into a family that discusses these topics around the dinner table.
Many colleges require a general education as part of the graduation requirement. It helps inform career related coursework.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
I'm curious why this is in the Economics forum.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:25 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
I keep hearing people throw around the word "educated" to describe people who are rich in some capacity or who are gentrifiers in my area, as opposed to the salt of the earth common people in society.

Does this simply mean one who has a college degree, or does it mean someone who has a college degree from an elite school? I don't consider myself "educated" but I have a degree due to living in a state that has a low cost 4 year college program (not every state has cheap "city" colleges).
Educated means having been educated, which usually implies having learned while spending time in some school or other educational venue.

Rich is about having financial assets and has no connection with being educated. Many uneducated people are rich, some educated people are poor.

Gentification is to renovate, improve or upgrade a neighborhood. Again, that has nothing to do with education and the only connection to wealth is it takes more money to make the improvements and to live in a neighborhood after it has been improved. It typically refers to improvements that bring a neighborhood to acceptable middle class standards.

Salt of the earth is a term from biblical lore that refers to people who are simple and good.

Common people, also called commoners, is an old term referring to people without titles.

I cannot understand why you "throw around" so many words in just a couple of sentences. If you want to be understood and have an intelligent conversation you might want to be more careful in choosing your words and organizing your thoughts. Otherwise I think you can expect more gibberish in return.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

Usually educated translates to a 2/4 or more year learning at a college or university after grade 12. Rich doesn’t necessarily mean educated. But usually rich people have opportunities to go to better schools and that usually turns out a person who simply had a better learning opportunity. There are rich people who are crap bags too.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:36 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Rich is about having financial assets and has no connection with being educated. Many uneducated people are rich, some educated people are poor.
There is in fact a strong correlation between educational attainment level and lifetime earnings in the United States.

Highly educated people definitely earn more money, on average, than less educated people.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
None of it matters once you turn 35. Schools are then in the background. About skills in real life after 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics