U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 257,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Educated means being "woke" and a social justice warrior obtaining numerous advanced degrees in gender studies and angry white male studies while paying $200K+ for your "education."
Right but gender studies majors are broke as a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:28 PM

1,827 posts, read 738,468 times
Educated definitely means a college graduate to me. I'm a college grad even though I've forgotten 95% of what I learned there.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:09 PM

5,448 posts, read 3,754,329 times
It doesn't have much to do with any specific information you have in your brain at a given moment.

"Educated" means a person's capacity to:

1) process a large amount of complex information in any given subject, evaluate it/critically analyze it, put in in context, make it useful or valuable somehow (add value) [STEM, arts, and humanities classes]
2) be able to "read between the lines" of said information or communication they receive - related to the critical analysis piece.* [Arts & humanities classes]
3) independently complete complicated, multi-faceted projects or accomplish tasks without constant direction [STEM, arts, & humanities classes]
4) work with a diverse group of people successfully & be able to recognize & adapt to cultural differences [Arts & humanities classes]
5) communicate intelligently in writing and speaking in your native language & at least mediocre competency in another language [Arts, humanities classes]
6) demonstrate quantitative literacy; be able to solve quantitative problems [STEM classes]

It's funny how many people today only want to focus on #6... as if they will never have to deal with another human in their life, or interpret what another human communicates to them. *This is why subjects like literature are important. Often what people communicate on the surface is not what they actually mean. An educated person should be able to figure that out, and one way you practice that skill is by analyzing literature.

See how a liberal, well-rounded education is supposed to work? An educated person should be able to learn how to do almost anything & work with almost anyone. They should be able to do it given enough time and on their own through self-study. College is supposed to train & teach you to do these things. Odds are if you have a college degree on your resume, it's more likely you can do those things than with just high school alone.

You don't necessarily need college for that; intellectual rigor can be practiced on your own. E.g.: my grandfather was a farmer, but he read so many books that his vocabulary was off the charts. He talked like a professor even though he never took a college class. He was more than capable of college but missed his chance to go, although he very much wanted to. He'd ask for my course syllabi, check out the books from the library or purchase them himself, that way he could do the readings and discuss with me when I visited. He would blow me out of the water with his level of analysis.

But these days, college is associated with that kind of person & it's a surprise to find an intellectual person who did not go.

Culturally, "educated" tends to mean someone who has been exposed to & has at least a passing acquaintance with a certain curricula. This used to be the "western canon" but now is a somewhat more nebulous array of information.

Last edited by redguard57; 06-17-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 PM

6,945 posts, read 3,855,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Educated definitely means a college graduate to me. I'm a college grad even though I've forgotten 95% of what I learned there.
Does that mean the five percent retained makes one "educated" while someone who has spent twenty years or more reading nonfiction and can discuss it with historians, economists, scientists and philosophers is not if they never spent an hour in a college classroom?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 AM

5,530 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Educated to me - sorry for those in student loan debt - doesn’t mean or have anything to do with formal education. Sure, if you have a Ph.D you’re obviously educated, but the reverse isn’t also true. Just because someone doesn’t have a degree doesn’t mean they’re uneducated. It depends on the person. I graduated summa c*m laude from an ordinary state university but the reason I count myself as highly educated is because I continue to learn and read and grow the 15 years after college. You don’t need to be in a class to learn, you can learn all of the time from numerous sources whether that’s Wikipedia, books, movies, journal articles, news, etc. Educated people continue to pursue knowledge and understanding and if anything, they don’t tout their education in public discourse because they know how much they still want to learn.

It’s almost like uneducated people often think they know everything, but educated people have a grasp of how big the world is and how little they truly know about it. Learning is a never-ending and wonderful pursuit. I’m not going to judge someone’s intelligence or knowledge by where they got a piece of paper.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Learning and education are different. You can learn on your own. You can learn from experience. When you are educated that means you have been taught by someone else and the term is typically applied to be taught when in some sort of school or institution of learning.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 AM

1,171 posts, read 463,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This. The classic notion of a university education involved learning Latin and Greek, reading the classics, studying philosophy, history, science, etc. I got through a Math degree without studying a bit of history and with only 2 quarters of English (placed out of regular English due to my ACT verbal score). I did take German after taking French in HS, but it was my decision to maintain fluency in both languages, which I still do at age 66. I learned most of what I know of history from my late husband, who was a history buff, from travel, which motivated me to learn more, and from my own independent study.

I find a depressing lack of ability to think critically among my former HS classmates, most of whom have college degrees. It's OK that we disagree on issues- it's a free country- but they blindly repost any idiotic thing on FB that fits their world view without thinking if it makes sense or fact-checking.
Great post Athena.

And also, I like learning languages also. I still do it as 50 nears.

I'll never stop.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM

2,139 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it’s another way to say “professional” as in doctor, lawyer, accountant...more white collar than blue collar. Those sorts of careers require usually not only a Bachelors, but further education.
Definitely not.

Professional training is, well, training -- not education. Professional degrees - MD, JD, DDS, CPA and the like are training designations. They show mastery of the skills necessary to practice their respective disciplines.

Note that an educated person can go on to professional school to receive training; they are not mutually exclusive.

Think about it this way: most public schools offer classes & segments on sex education. Sex training is a different thing altogether - licensed sex surrogates, for example, receive specific training to treat their patients.

Education is different from training.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
While others spent 4-5 years perusing an education and saddling themselves with student loans I worked and saved over 100k while others sat in a classroom. I have a great job with no debt while many are still paying back loans in their 30's with a worse job than mine. I consider myself "educated".
Intelligent! Intuitive! That's what they call people like you!

The role of any formal education is to over-utilize the left hemisphere of the brain (reason/logic/egotism), leaving the right hemisphere of the brain (rules intelligence/intuition) starving.

Much of my most recent "education" has come from reading Rajneesh/Osho!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM

7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have a 4-year degree from a respected but not elite state university. I consider myself educated since, to me, that term means at least a 4-year college degree. Ivy League or advanced degrees would qualify as "highly educated".

My assessment of people is still based on what they've done with what they had. I remember a guy from my grade school whom I met at a 50-year reunion. He hadn't been a great star in school; I think he was probably average intelligence. He now owned his own plumbing contracting firm and told me he made a point of providing health insurance to his employees. I was impressed and I told him that. On the "highly educated" side, I once interviewed a guy for an actuarial trainee position- Ph.D. in Physics from Princeton. Dullest interview ever; answered mostly in monosyllables. He spoke the English of someone who was born and raised in the US, so it wasn't that he struggled with the language. It was a phone interview and we didn't even bring him in for an in-person interview.

And then there are the dime-a-dozen diploma mills offering on-line or other easy-peasy advanced degrees, especially for teachers who get more pay if they have a Master's. I'm not saying that every Master's in Education is easy to get, but I wouldn't grant it a lot of value without finding more about the program and the institution.
Good post, and I agree about the Master's in Education--probably the easiest degree to obtain, and requires virtually no effort, and no real ability, either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics