Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 04:36 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Probably an adjunct at best. With that kind of attitude you shouldn't be anywhere near one.
Nope, full professor. Nice try though. I teach in an area that actually produces jobs and is in demand in the job market. I am tired of seeing so many students sold a false bill of goods and ruin their futures with worthless degrees and loads of debt. And then given more faulty advice to pursue advanced degree programs that only exacerbate the aforementioned problems. The universities don't care they are selling a fraudulent product because they keep raking in the money.

Unfortunately there are way too many individuals like yourself giving students bad advice to major in worthless degree tracks because you "believe in the arts" or whatever other tripe you spew out of your blowhole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I know many undergraduate students with over $60K in debt, multiple current graduate students with over $100K in debt, and numerous graduates with PhDs with over $100K in debt. Having worked in higher education for so many years, and having seen these debt totals skyrocket especially over the past 5 years, from my personal experience I believe the average loan totals put out are much lower than reality. It is a much bigger problem than many think.
I wish a lot of these undergrads and graduate students understand that college is very much a business and they are the customers. They are guaranteeing a bill of charges for themselves, without the guarantee of a job. College is part gamble: how much a risk, exactly, depends on major, willingness to relocate, previous experience, and tolerance for low starting income, in some fields.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Nope, full professor. Nice try though. I teach in an area that actually produces jobs and is in demand in the job market. I am tired of seeing so many students sold a false bill of goods and ruin their futures with worthless degrees and loads of debt. And then given more faulty advice to pursue advanced degree programs that only exacerbate the aforementioned problems. The universities don't care they are selling a fraudulent product because they keep raking in the money.

Unfortunately there are way too many individuals like yourself giving students bad advice to major in worthless degree tracks because you "believe in the arts" or whatever other tripe you spew out of your blowhole.
Bull.

What journals have you published in? The "screw half of human knowledge quarterly?"

Have you burned down your institution's library yet? Because the only information any students need is what you "teach."

Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I wish a lot of these undergrads and graduate students understand that college is very much a business and they are the customers. They are guaranteeing a bill of charges for themselves, without the guarantee of a job. College is part gamble: how much a risk, exactly, depends on major, willingness to relocate, previous experience, and tolerance for low starting income, in some fields.
Yes, it is 100% a business and that is lost on many students. They falsely think degree equals jobs, and this couldn't be further from the truth these days. That is why parents and students alike need to do a tremendous amount of research on what degree tracks actually produce jobs, and avoid the ones that have no market demand.

Higher education is really strange if you think about. Many professors especially in liberal art tracks have no real-world experience outside of academia yet they "profess" to be experts in their field. Many of these same individuals offer really bad advice to students in planning their next move after their undergraduate education. For example, Johnny majors in Sociology and has no job prospects upon graduation so he meets with his Sociology professor and the professor tells him the answer to all of his programs is getting a Master's degree in Sociology. Johnny gets a Master's degree in Sociology and still has no job prospects and now has loads more debt, lost earning potential, and is back at square one.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye1015 View Post
Setting aside the graduate students for a moment, please tell me more about the undergraduates with $60k-plus in loans. Are they traditional, dependent students younger than 26 years of age on a full-time, four-year schedule using federally-backed student loans? Or are they non-traditional students on a six-year or longer schedule, who are using private lenders?

Traditional, dependent students younger than 26, full-time, 4-year schedule that routinely turns into 4.5-5. Many are out-of-state. I am assuming they have a mixture of federal and private.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Traditional, dependent students younger than 26, full-time, 4-year schedule that routinely turns into 4.5-5. Many are out-of-state. I am assuming they have a mixture of federal and private.
Out-of-state tuition is one of the WORST possible deals in education. Often inflates the rate to what a private college would cost. Assuming that there is SOME state in which you would qualify for in-state tuition, why would you not either 1.) stay in-state if you want a state college experience, or 2.) spring for the private college if you're adamant that there is a better fit for you outside of your state's offerings?

I self-impose a limit on my higher education to what my employer reimburses. This isn't always so limiting. there is an annual limit, say, $8000. This doesn't limit you to a school that costs $8000 a year. You could attend a $16,000/year program for one semester a year. You have to get creative sometimes.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Out-of-state tuition is one of the WORST possible deals in education. Often inflates the rate to what a private college would cost. Assuming that there is SOME state in which you would qualify for in-state tuition, why would you not either 1.) stay in-state if you want a state college experience, or 2.) spring for the private college if you're adamant that there is a better fit for you outside of your state's offerings?

I self-impose a limit on my higher education to what my employer reimburses. This isn't always so limiting. there is an annual limit, say, $8000. This doesn't limit you to a school that costs $8000 a year. You could attend a $16,000/year program for one semester a year. You have to get creative sometimes.
I agree. The problem is that some universities will "hook" out-of-state students by giving them funding packages for the first year or two, and then drop the hammer on them. Many of these students feel locked-in at this point.

I strongly encourage 95+% of students to avoid out-of-state tuition if they are taking out loans or paying on their own dime (bank of parents usually). The only case is when a student is attending a school for a very specific course of study that is not offered elsewhere or there is a large discrepancy in the quality. And to make sure the area of study will produce results later in the job market.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I agree. The problem is that some universities will "hook" out-of-state students by giving them funding packages for the first year or two, and then drop the hammer on them. Many of these students feel locked-in at this point.

I strongly encourage 95+% of students to avoid out-of-state tuition if they are taking out loans or paying on their own dime (bank of parents usually). The only case is when a student is attending a school for a very specific course of study that is not offered elsewhere or there is a large discrepancy in the quality. And to make sure the area of study will produce results later in the job market.
I don't really understand the logic behind "in-state" and "out-of-state" tuition. The student hasn't paid much in taxes up to this point, anyway. And I don't see there being a contract to live in-state for X number of years after graduating.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I understand the situation because we're paying our daughter's loans. With regard to what the student must repay--and that's the point of this discussion, the debt burden on the student--it's irrelevant to the student's burden which part was subsidized and which part was unsubsidized.

The issue is the great percentage of students who were not prepared for college but were encouraged by government, the education industry, and the banking industry to go into college anyway who eked through remedial classes to a degree that had no immediate or direct marketability.

For sure, the top students in some of those degrees are still able to market themselves because they always were truly highly capable individuals.

But far too many only limped through to get the paper and don't have that individual capability.
And their parents? Anyone taking on loans is over the age of 18 is an adult and should be responsible for their own decisions. It's not the banks fault or the governments fault for handing out the loans. Just like it's not the tobacco companies fault for selling cigarettes to legal adults.

Blame the parents for not being educated/informed/raising their children correctly or the students that chose to take out loans and go to college. Don't need any more nanny state coddling people.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You see, here is the problem, baby boomer retire with a nice salary and possibly a good pension based on their salary, but companies and government don’t want to give the same to millennials, and when you do that, the whole economy suffer simply because these millennials have no money to spend. Simple as that.
I'm a millennial. I make more money at 33 than my mother or father (baby boomers) ever did. I don't want a pension that keeps me tied down to one company. I would rather have the money in a 401K where I get to chose how to invest the money and have the freedom to move around to other companies that are willing to pay market rate.

Last edited by bad debt; 06-24-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics