U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,544,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Even with activities all day long, and a Las Vegas-type show every night? And all the food...

Probably what you and other millennials would hate is no internet for 2 weeks. Unless you pay an exorbitant fee like $30 for 15 min. for spotty reception. I've never seen so many people with a book, LOL.

If nothing else, it is a civilized, totally relaxing way to cross the Atlantic, as opposed to flying!
I don't mind something like that in small doses. I went to a hole in the wall bar when I was in Maine last month, talked to the locals, and had a full English breakfast on a rainy evening for $12. That was one of the best meals of the trip. I'd much rather walk the streets and talk to locals than take in some elaborate show.

I had fresh off the boat lobster and clams several times. If I'm going to spend some money on food, I'd much rather have that than a buffet or something.

I would like to go on some themed cruises. There's a heavy metal cruise I'd love to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,756,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
As others pointed out it seems to depend on the cruise type.

One that stands out is Viking River Cruises, we've seen their tour groups shuffling past in a few locations around the world and I'd be surprised if any of them were under age 70. I've no idea what specifically about that cruise line draws in the older crowd but it's definitely something.

LOL, I think all of my uncles took one of those Viking River cruises around age 70. They LOVED them! Rite of passage I guess. From their marketing and prices, it's clear who the customers are for those. People who want to be pampered, sit around and sip drinks most of the day, stop around mid-day and walk around a town, leisurely

There are European river cruise companies that undercut Viking's prices by about 40% and it's on their website that their boats have playrooms for kids, etc.. so the younger people may be going that route. They used older ships, remodeled.

I suspect the Alaska cruises offer a lot of stops where you can do things like kayak with the whales, do some rock climbing at a call port, etc... so they attract more young people.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

15,104 posts, read 13,787,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
LOL, I think all of my uncles took one of those Viking River cruises around age 70. They LOVED them! Rite of passage I guess. From their marketing and prices, it's clear who the customers are for those. People who want to be pampered, sit around and sip drinks most of the day, stop around mid-day and walk around a town, leisurely
I'm 28 but gotta say that sounds pretty appealing haha.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,756,859 times
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...-soars-to-228m

"Authentic" travel companies like the Intrepid Group are doing quite well. They expect to hit $1 Billion in revenue by 2025.

G Adventures also doing record sales: https://www.adventuretravelnews.com/...des-in-the-usa

Old Today, 10:44 AM

12,009 posts, read 16,758,787 times
Cruises just seem like travel for people who don't really want to travel to me.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Cruises just seem like travel for people who don't really want to travel to me.
They are traveling by just about any definition. On a boat? Check. Moving from place to place? Check. I'm not sure how anyone would think they don't really want to be doing what they are doing.

Not my style, but they often visit more places in two weeks than we do in two months of travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or