U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 PM

5,448 posts, read 3,754,329 times

Advertisements

They will "magically" find fixes for Medicare by the time it starts to hit crisis point.

When it starts to go under will be when Millennials are about 50, prime voting age, & actually thinking about retirement. They are not going to vote for anyone that lets Medicare go under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 PM

2,139 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Nobody is going to take health care away from seniors on social security.
No one has proposed that. Why bring it up?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sure. Because pizza, virtually unknown in the US before WWII and a specialty restaurant thing until well into the 1960s, has become a universal quick- and takeout food... loaded, when not overloaded, with cheese.
I think maybe you missed my point, but whatever.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 PM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It has been stated over and over again that the poor are more likely to be obese because of their diet. Cheap and easy-to-prepare food is generally much less expensive than whole grains, most lean meats and fresh seafood, fruits, and vegetables. (Our previous food bill for a so-so diet was about $300 a month, while our new healthy diet costs us about $500 a month -- food only, btw, meaning not counting things like soaps, pet food, and wine.)

And, then, there is the fact (??) that some people have led a crusade against 'body shaming', making it okay for people to be fat without feeling bad about themselves. (And, yes, I do agree with not bullying anyone because of their weight, but saying that it is perfectly okay for a 5'5" woman to weigh over 200 pounds or for anyone to weigh over 300 pounds? I don't think so!)
Yes...but these folks were NOT "poor". Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you were someone that attends drag races, you would not make the assumption that these folks don't have money. They do. A LOT of it.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 PM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes...but these folks were NOT "poor". Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you were someone that attends drag races, you would not make the assumption that these folks don't have money. They do. A LOT of it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was connecting going to drag races with being poor; as I do not make any kind of judgment about people who go to drag races. My ex-husband owned his own business, and he was a drag racing fan, and he was not poor by a long shot. I was just pointing out two of the main reasons why I think so many Americans are obese. (However, it is true that poor Americans are more likely to be obese than rich Americans.https://www.stateofobesity.org/socioeconomics-obesity/ )

Last edited by katharsis; 06-18-2019 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 2,269,793 times
If the government had any interest in cost controls, they would have never dreamed up Obamacare. They'll screw up both Medicare and SS if you give them enough time.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
If the government had any interest in cost controls, they would have never dreamed up Obamacare. They'll screw up both Medicare and SS if you give them enough time.
Obamacare was about letting the insurance companies keep their sugar teats, which is its ultimate problem.

Insurance is designed to cover statistically rare catastrophes. The insurance model does not work for risks that have a 100% chance of occurrence.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Insurance is designed to cover statistically rare catastrophes. The insurance model does not work for risks that have a 100% chance of occurrence.
High deductible plans and copayments were supposed to keep costs down, but it doesn't work as well in health insurance. I just read an interesting interview with a couple of Wharton professors who pointed out that that just means that the sicker people, including those with chronic issues beyond their control, get hit harder and, of course, costs aren't transparent so the insureds can't make intelligent spending decisions. One point made in the article: you may want your insured to keep costs down by getting a generic substitute. You don't want them to keep costs down by skipping doses of insulin.

There's a "predictable" component in health insurance that we need to cover, unlike, say, homeowner's insurance, where a high deductible makes more sense.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It actually goes beyond mere price support.
I'm aware of that. Most, I suspect, are not.

We've been conditioned, basically to benefit dairy supports, that cheese is a wonder food that belongs everywhere and in everything. It's natural, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think maybe you missed my point, but whatever.
Did I?

Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's a "predictable" component in health insurance that we need to cover, unlike, say, homeowner's insurance, where a high deductible makes more sense.
And (addressing a number of comments so far)... just maybe national health coverage is more than a matter of dollars and cents. Controlling costs - of an insanely greedy provider structure, to start with - is essential for long-term viability, but other than that, trying to put QOL and lifespan up against a spreadsheet is the worst of the worst "death panel" sort of thinking. The kind only those with high-level governmental coverage, gold-plated corporate coverage or lifetime pension/retirement coverage can smugly discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or