U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM

14,057 posts, read 16,063,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
New vehicles do not lose 20-30% of the value when you drive it off the lot.

You can't go pick up a house or solar panels like you can a car. Car loans are typically shorter term as well.

I can't see anyone being 50% underwater on any vehicle. That is about a 1 in a million shot.
I guess it depends.

My car had an MSRP of around $25,000 before TTL. I bought it for $20,400 before TTL. If you paid MSRP that's an instant 18% of the value right off the bat. Plus there's some additional loss of value when the vehicle is titled. Doesn't matter if you actually drive it off the lot or not. It the registering of title that causes that loss as there's a good chance it's already literally driven off the lot on test drives. So that's not entirely unreasonable based off MSRP.

But that's the problem with "residual value" type calculations. As a previous poster commented, he bought a new truck for $2,000 more than a year old one with 20,000 miles on it because of the $11,000 off MSRP or whatever it was. That's common on pickups. It's fairly nonsensical that the used one with 20,000 miles is only $2,000 less than new but again not uncommon. I was looking at four-year-old cars with 100,000 mile and it was tough to find them at even 14,000 -- around 6,000 less than I paid new for a car with 100,000 miles on it. But a lot of people don't think for themselves. They just go rules of thumb such as new cars depreciate 20-30% when driven off the lot. That's occasionally true if you go off MSRP and since those people just won't think for themselves they're the ones that do end up buying year-old vehicles for 95% or more of the actual cost of a new one.

50% is a lot but you'd be surprised. I had a coworker who was complaining because she couldn't trade in her Nissan sedan. She still owed around $28,000 on a car she bought almost two years ago for $22,000. Negative equity rollovers. Bought a Jeep Wrangler, had a kid, rolled over the negative equity to a cheaper sedan, got bored of the sedan and wanted a new crossover. At that point the financing just wouldn't approve rolling over more negative equity.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-26-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM

4,791 posts, read 11,967,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I guess it depends.

My car had an MSRP of around $25,000 before TTL. I bought it for $20,400 before TTL. If you paid MSRP that's an instant 18% of the value right off the bat. Plus there's some additional loss of value when the vehicle is titled. Doesn't matter if you actually drive it off the lot or not. It the registering of title that causes that loss as there's a good chance it's already literally driven off the lot on test drives. So that's not entirely unreasonable based off MSRP.

But that's the problem with "residual value" type calculations. As a previous poster commented, he bought a new truck for $2,000 more than a year old one with 20,000 miles on it because of the $11,000 off MSRP or whatever it was. That's common on pickups. It's fairly nonsensical that the used one with 20,000 miles is only $2,000 less than new but again not uncommon. I was looking at four-year-old cars with 100,000 mile and it was tough to find them at even 14,000 -- around 6,000 less than I paid new for a car with 100,000 miles on it. But a lot of people don't think for themselves. They just go rules of thumb such as new cars depreciate 20-30% when driven off the lot. That's occasionally true if you go off MSRP and since those people just won't think for themselves they're the ones that do end up buying year-old vehicles for 95% or more of the actual cost of a new one.

50% is a lot but you'd be surprised. I had a coworker who was complaining because she couldn't trade in her Nissan sedan. She still owed around $28,000 on a car she bought almost two years ago for $22,000. Negative equity rollovers. Bought a Jeep Wrangler, had a kid, rolled over the negative equity to a cheaper sedan, got bored of the sedan and wanted a new crossover. At that point the financing just wouldn't approve rolling over more negative equity.
Why would anyone base the depreciation hit on MSRP instead of what people actually pay for a vehicle? That is a huge part of why people get the misconception that a vehicle depreciates 20% the second you drive it off the lot. (oops, just read your 2nd paragraph which covers this). This is why I dispute this claim heavily, so that the clueless can potentially be slightly more informed.

My buddy's wife just bought a Subaru Outback up here in MN. He has always been in the "I would NEVER buy new camp". I asked if he at least priced out the new ones. He said they bought brand new as the used ones were not all that much less than the new. Wise decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or