Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Manufacturers partner with banks to subsidize the sale of new cars to offer below par discount rates for financing. Ford and GM are always running huge discount APRs off to incentivize people to finance their vehicles. How else could they move $60k F150/F250s all day long?
Well, those enormous bulldozers used in landfills come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
If the loan goes south even if they are upside down its a lot easier to repo a car than foreclose a house.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
One thing I really can't fully comprehend how you can get super low interest on Cars from 3rd Party Lenders. I have seen 0.99%, 1.99% APR form Banks, Credit Unions for New Cars. Furthermore, some allow no cash down, over 100% financing for Sales Tax, Extended Warranties, etc. It is also very easy to get approved for one.

The thing with New Cars you easily are losing 20-30% of the value as soon as its bought. It is a depreciating asset, which means you are easily underwater on your car loan.

My next problem is there is a couple another type of loans available for appreciating assets or one that doesn't depreciate as much. But those are hard to finance. I am talking about Home Mortage, land, real estate investment, home improvement, solar panels, pools, etc.

I can easily see someone being 50% underwater on a Car loan, which means the borrower will have pony up that much if car gets totaled. A car loan for financial institution seems to me at least more risky than real estate loans, possibly close to 'personal loans' or maybe even Credit cards.

Can some give me a detailed explanation of how the financial institution is justifying such low rates and great terms?
The low rates correspond to low risk. People will default on their mortgage and credit cards before they will fall behind on their car payments. However, in recent months, auto loan delinquencies have been at or near a record high, so expect interest rates to move upward on these loans once the actuaries/analysts recalculate to the new baseline.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:14 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Something to consider is the car will have a chip installed so it can be tracked. Makes it easy to reposess. Also some cars can be stopped by remote control so that motivates the buyer to make the payment.
True but I don’t think a chip is needed to find the house

Old 06-21-2019, 08:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
One thing I really can't fully comprehend how you can get super low interest on Cars from 3rd Party Lenders. I have seen 0.99%, 1.99% APR form Banks, Credit Unions for New Cars. Furthermore, some allow no cash down, over 100% financing for Sales Tax, Extended Warranties, etc. It is also very easy to get approved for one.

The thing with New Cars you easily are losing 20-30% of the value as soon as its bought. It is a depreciating asset, which means you are easily underwater on your car loan.

My next problem is there is a couple another type of loans available for appreciating assets or one that doesn't depreciate as much. But those are hard to finance. I am talking about Home Mortage, land, real estate investment, home improvement, solar panels, pools, etc.

I can easily see someone being 50% underwater on a Car loan, which means the borrower will have pony up that much if car gets totaled. A car loan for financial institution seems to me at least more risky than real estate loans, possibly close to 'personal loans' or maybe even Credit cards.

Can some give me a detailed explanation of how the financial institution is justifying such low rates and great terms?
If you’re getting a .99 to 1.99 rate I can tell you one thing. That person actually WILL pay back the loan. The reason you get such rates from banks is because your credit history shows you are a low risk for default.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:35 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
I've often wondered the OPs question as well. It doesn't seem to make sense that I can get a loan for a lower interest rate than the US government. I've often wondered who's buying these loans.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:10 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I've often wondered the OPs question as well. It doesn't seem to make sense that I can get a loan for a lower interest rate than the US government. I've often wondered who's buying these loans.
Generally this doesn't happen unless the lender is doing it purely for promotional reasons. Even for borrowers with excellent credit, the average rate quoted by this site is 3.60% on 60-month loan:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-lo...interest-rates

In contrast, the current rates for 2-year, 3-year, and 5-year treasury securities are less than 2%:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...spx?data=yield

Old 06-22-2019, 07:55 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
I still don't think people in this thread truely appreciate the power to debt/credit to distort a market. The entire US consumption economy is predicated on access to vast amounts of cheap and readily available credit. Manufacturers are riding this trend to subsidize rates and keep the proverbial foot on the consumption gas pedal.

Any small shift in the credit markets to either reduce access to capital or reduce quantity and the whole shebang collapses inward. None of this is "real".

Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Something to consider is the car will have a chip installed so it can be tracked. Makes it easy to reposess. Also some cars can be stopped by remote control so that motivates the buyer to make the payment.
What chip? Are you saying every dealer that sells a financed car is putting a repo chip in the vehicle?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What chip? Are you saying every dealer that sells a financed car is putting a repo chip in the vehicle?
Many (approaching most) new cars have active monitoring and reporting built in. It is inherently a security/tracking/repo device if the maker (and bank) chooses to use it that way. They can even watch for a pattern of non-use and come take it when it's 'safely' parked in the in-law's back alley.

Most used cars from bigger dealers have a security lock installed and can't be driven without inserting a dongle/chip card. They don't remove those, just disable them on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics