Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Was there ever a time or place in human history where citizens could not work for a year? Or 3 months?
Way to stay on point!
But if you don't care for the earlier example... come up with one that suits your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's not really the point. What I'm saying is that a lot of people who should be more stable - as in have a sturdy financial foundation, and probably think they do - would end up utterly destroyed economically by a moderate setback. The pious rule is that you should have three months' living expenses on hand, just in case; I'd bet not one in ten families does. An established family with two workers should be able to ride out a really bad year without losing everything; I don't want to quote real odds on that.

I read the OP as challenging the idea that "most" people and families are financially stable, when only a small fraction really are... despite a large middle ground of those who think they are but would end up in reduced circumstances from one hard financial blow.

So I agree: yes, I think a great majority of us are 'living on the financial edge,' including many (here) who would smugly claim otherwise.
I’ve not read a single “smug” claim in this thread. Why do you always seem to have such a disdainful attitude towards other posters?

Old 06-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I look a these posts and have a difficult time understanding what people expect.
Expect? Hope for? Call it half a chance.

From the Link I included earlier:
Attached Thumbnails
Is almost everyone living on the financial edge?-price-income-index.png  

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
it's true though, most couldn't afford to go without 4 paychecks. It's tough for most starting out but you overcome it. ..find a niche.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:12 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Marketing of everything has become so very effective that it's difficult for most not to slip into over-consumption keeping up with the wonderful lifestyles the marketers push.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I’ve not read a single “smug” claim in this thread. Why do you always seem to have such a disdainful attitude towards other posters?
I didn't mean just this thread, but pretty much every thread about why we have any kind of underclass at all. Just wait; the worthy argument will appear if this thread continues very long.

And 'disdainful' is a polite expression of what I think of those who can sit on their little pile of luck and accumulation and insulation from reality and proclaim that anyone not doing as well is just a loser not worth being concerned about. I can PM you the real words if you like.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Marketing of everything has become so very effective that it's difficult for most not to slip into
over-consumption keeping up with the wonderful lifestyles the marketers push.
Before we get to the gee-gaw level of weak-spined consumerism... there's plenty of actual meat to cut.

Focus on the big and obvious categories like real estate (as already mentioned) and maybe medical.
Almost no one can really "afford" either; even those with a good net of everything second income to help.
The share of income hemorrhaged to manage these doesn't leave much for any of the rest.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Marketing of everything has become so very effective that it's difficult for most not to slip into over-consumption keeping up with the wonderful lifestyles the marketers push.
A pale statement of the situation but an entirely accurate one.

We do not play personal finance marbles on a level surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Before we get to the gee-gaw level of weak-spined consumerism... there's plenty of actual meat to cut.
Focus on the big and obvious categories like real estate (as already mentioned) and maybe medical.
Almost no one can really "afford" either.
No, he's nailed the major point. The vast number of people who should be more stable, including the many who think they are for all the wrong reasons, are standing on a loose gravel foundation precisely because of fostered consumption. Don't dismiss it as irrelevant to why people don't/own houses etc.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:28 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't mean just this thread, but pretty much every thread about why we have any kind of underclass at all. Just wait; the worthy argument will appear if this thread continues very long.

And 'disdainful' is a polite expression of what I think of those who can sit on their little pile of luck and accumulation and insulation from reality and proclaim that anyone not doing as well is just a loser not worth being concerned about. I can PM you the real words if you like.
Thankfully I’ve not read those posts that proclaim others to be said “losers not worth worrying about”. I think the great majority here really do try to be helpful, and hopefully, honest too.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 PM

120 posts, read 65,255 times
Trying to play the game in an already popular area will not make it easy.
I got my degree prior to the university deregulation back in the 90's, so my cost to go to school was peanuts compared to today's costs. I doubt college would interest me today knowing how much debt I would need to incur to to finish.
The key for me was to get a job in a city and buy in a city that was not hyped to the point of ridiculousness, but was still really fun. Also, make sure that your career wont suffer because of where you live.
Live modestly, even when you have money.
Those things will allow you to get ahead much faster and have money too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics