U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 1,618,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Private Placements (generally speaking) are only available to accredited investors because they are very risky and the securities laws don't want them marketed to people without the means to evaluate the investment opportunity themselves and withstand the loss of capital if it doesn't work out.

LOL

Sure, that's the "official" line. In the real world, these are some of the best investments going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,826,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL

Sure, that's the "official" line. In the real world, these are some of the best investments going.
The smallest minimums I've seen for those types of allocations are over $20k, and that's before the ~5% fee. For some of the real desirable ones, minimums are $100k - $500k, and you're still probably paying a premium over the valuations that the VCs are getting. For the non-accredited investor, having that much tied up in a single company (and without the liquidity or visibility that you would have with a public company) is risky.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 PM

136 posts, read 65,179 times
This is a pretty good site to get all kinds of statistics. The link below will get you there and then you can look for specific criteria / data sets.

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/

Excerpt(s) from one of the articles

1) "Am I in the top one percent of income?

To reach the 1% you’d need an individual income of $300,577. The top .5% of workers made at least an income of $435,550.

What is considered a good income?

Around $43,500 is a good income in most of the United States. That is the median earnings for an individual working 40 hours per week.

Another good income goal is $100,000 per year or “six-figures”. Around 13% of people made $100,000 or more in 2018."

2) How many millionaires are there in the United States?

We estimate that there are 14,814,453 millionaires in the United States. A million dollar net worth for a household is the 88.24% wealth bracket in the US in 2016: 11.76% of all households.

Note: for this stat and the subsequent ones, we are only discussing household data. Remember, net worth isn’t generally divisible between household members (short of court-assisted situations).

Additionally, all data includes the value of any primary home.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 PM

5,530 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If it doesn't impact that many people (and they're all rich by multiples), it shouldn't be a problem to raise their taxes back to where they used to be, right?
Where they used to be? Taxes fluctuate but there’s no good reason to raise taxes on wage earners haha talk about a low blow. You’re talking about raising taxes on my doctor friend who works overnight shifts for 12 hours sometimes 9 days in a row. Meanwhile my dad pays capital gains taxes only, and at that rarely, keeping his ordinary income very low. Same with me. You aren’t going to affect the wealthiest with raising taxes haha their gains are mostly capital gains.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:40 PM

90 posts, read 19,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Private Placements (generally speaking) are only available to accredited investors because they are very risky and the securities laws don't want them marketed to people without the means to evaluate the investment opportunity themselves and withstand the loss of capital if it doesn't work out.
As someone who works in RE private equity, this is exactly correct. It is extremely risky for an "average investor" to be putting 50% of his/her net worth in an investment that doesn't even cash flow for 3+ years, has a 7 year lock out, and is completely illiquid. Don't tell me that's not risky lol.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:08 PM

2,138 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL

Yeah. Just ask people who put money into Lyft and Uber a couple years before they went public. Best investment! That's a good one.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yeah. Just ask people who put money into Lyft and Uber a couple years before they went public. Best investment! That's a good one.
I actually put money in Lyft last year and I'm still up over 40%. My shares are still locked up until September, but there are ways to hedge.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 AM

2,138 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I actually put money in Lyft last year and I'm still up over 40%. My shares are still locked up until September, but there are ways to hedge.
Wow. I put money into Uber a few years ago, and of course I'm locked up until September as well. I'm under water.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wow. I put money into Uber a few years ago, and of course I'm locked up until September as well. I'm under water.
Palantir is another still-private decacorn where those who invested in it a few years ago are probably underwater. It's at a place now where I recently decided to take a flyer on it, but their valuation has dropped a lot.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 AM

11,646 posts, read 3,186,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the whole idea that we can pay for all of these social programs by taxing these millions of people making millions of dollars is just pure fantasy. There aren't that many of them and taxing them at 50% won't make a dent in paying the bills.
The OP lives in Norway.

IIRC, the OP is not Norwegian, but his wife is, and they have no plans to leave Norway.

Why he seems to care quite a bit what we do......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or