U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,622,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I really have no problems now and have 2 accounts my bank but the thought of changing banks means a nightmare of other changes I would have to make regarding electronic deposits and bill pays but I'm really worried about the bank going under after a major event occurs for me in less than 2 years. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have all my money in the same place.

Your money should be fine so long as it remains in an FDIC insured account. As others have said, I would imagine the bank will make every effort to make this seamless....because this is when they potentially lose accounts.

Changing banks now is more difficult than it used to be. Those nice autopay options....all have to be switched and not every bill happens every month.

If you prefer to open a new account anyway, the best strategy is to open the new checking account first, but DON'T close the old one. As you get your bills for the month, begin transferring them to the new account. Now, you'll have to have enough money in both accounts, but if you keep track, you should be ok. After you've switched over what you know, just go through your old bank account statement every month. See which items you may have missed. You'll likely want to do this for a few months, and some may even go an entire year to catch things that may happen once a year (income taxes or property taxes). At some point, the old account will just sit there with no activity, then you know it's ok to close that account and move the remaining money over to your new account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics