U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM

3,356 posts, read 858,335 times

Advertisements

I see some great explanations, but once you realize that tax is totaled at the register, it becomes easy to do the mental math, if the exact number is important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM

8,641 posts, read 3,053,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maybe your bill is high because you're buying taxable, non-food items like paper goods, cleaning products, and toiletries at the grocery store. Supermarkets always overcharge on these types of things. Try Wal-Mart if you want to save money on them.
Careful. When I expressed boggle at people who bought $2-300 in bulk quantity stuff at my grocery store, I was chastised for thinking I was smarter than them for saving $5k a year buying my bulk stuff elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 2,581,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Politically, I prefer to know what portion of what I'm paying is tax, rather than have that amount hidden. The ire of having to pony up more money at the last minute will ride with me to the polls on the next election day, if my local representative doesn't successfully calm me down with a good rationalization.

And that's the way it should be.

And sales tax can also be tax deductible.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I see some great explanations, but once you realize that tax is totaled at the register, it becomes easy to do the mental math, if the exact number is important to you.
Sure, but there's a persistent tendency to "forget" that addition - even, as I noted, on things like car purchases. It's always an unremarked Oh Yeah at the end... and then forgotten again.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
And sales tax can also be tax deductible.
Not for most individuals. For some business purchases, yes.

And businesses that buy outside the retail loop are required to calculate and pay equivalent use tax on all goods they don't resell.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:50 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,946,610 times
In addition, in Europe companies don't pay VAT so they get actually pay around 19 - 23% less than the sticker price. But only afterwards that amount is refunded in the VAT declaration each month or each quarter. They like to make things complicated in Europe.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 AM

18,362 posts, read 23,541,961 times
ive seen at gas pumps.....they will list how much state and federal tax is in the price..

also keep in mind...tax rates vary on different items.... lodging tax is more than food tax..

most states have a tax rate...on items...but some do not...like new Hampshire,,,,they have no state tax....

but very good point on the thread....we should know...
buying a car.....you can pay hundreds of sales tax...then beyond that pay the town an excise tax.....again....hundreds of dollars

we are very much over-taxed

Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 AM

20,167 posts, read 11,172,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive seen at gas pumps.....they will list how much state and federal tax is in the price..

also keep in mind...tax rates vary on different items.... lodging tax is more than food tax..

most states have a tax rate...on items...but some do not...like new Hampshire,,,,they have no state tax....

but very good point on the thread....we should know...
buying a car.....you can pay hundreds of sales tax...then beyond that pay the town an excise tax.....again....hundreds of dollars

we are very much over-taxed

But in the US you do know!

This is the trade-off:

In Europe, you know from the price tag exactly how much you're going to pay, but you don't know how much of that is tax.

In the US, you don't know until the cashier rings up the bill exactly how much you will pay, but you do know how much is tax.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:21 AM

944 posts, read 261,200 times
In other countries and in the U.S., I always knew how much the sales tax or VAT was. It was never hidden or some secret thing. And if I forgot, it was reflected on the receipt. Sure, if you're traveling between areas and make a purchase or two on vacation, you might not know, but are there people who really don't know the sales tax/VAT rate where they live?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 AM

20,167 posts, read 11,172,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
In other countries and in the U.S., I always knew how much the sales tax or VAT was. It was never hidden or some secret thing. And if I forgot, it was reflected on the receipt. Sure, if you're traveling between areas and make a purchase or two on vacation, you might not know, but are there people who really don't know the sales tax/VAT rate where they live?

Total VAT or final VAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or