U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 AM

7,140 posts, read 1,791,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
One of the interesting things I learned is that in Europe if say you go to a store the prices listed for the items are just that, no extra when checking out. That it even confuses Europeans that come to America and see a price like say $9.99 and to them they think when they check out it will just be $9.99 and are surprised when it costs more.

What do they do different that allows that but we can't do?

I would rather see how much I am being taxed instead of it being hidden in the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 11:09 AM

37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I noticed that restaurants in England have no place to put a tip on the bill. I guess they donít really tip in GB.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not for most individuals. For some business purchases, yes.

And businesses that buy outside the retail loop are required to calculate and pay equivalent use tax on all goods they don't resell.
Until last yearís tax change sales tax was deductible from federal tax for us. In fact, we bought a truck and a 25í trailer, and all new windows, so had a great deduction using actual rather than estimates.

Many businesses will have a sale advertising ďwe pay the taxĒ which here, is simply a 10% discount. It just makes people feel better thinking they didnít have to pay tax.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 PM

6,523 posts, read 4,085,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many businesses will have a sale advertising ďwe pay the taxĒ which here, is simply a 10% discount. It just makes people feel better thinking they didnít have to pay tax.
Call it whatever you want; I'll take the 10% off.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 AM

4,246 posts, read 2,324,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't know of a state with sales tax that doesn't have local/regional/special district taxes as well.

Since stores don't have to move around between tax zones much, I don't see programming a completely computerized/bar coded/semi-automated pricing system with tax info to be an insurmountable chore. It's not the reason stores (and customers) resist integrated prices.

Massachusetts has a flat 6.25% sales tax on merchandise across the entire state - no city or counties levy extra sales tax.

Meals can have another .75% tacked on by individual cities and towns.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 8,112,623 times
In Montana, the shelf price is the price you pay. No sales tax here.

Old Today, 01:02 AM

18,558 posts, read 9,592,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
One of the interesting things I learned is that in Europe if say you go to a store the prices listed for the items are just that, no extra when checking out. That it even confuses Europeans that come to America and see a price like say $9.99 and to them they think when they check out it will just be $9.99 and are surprised when it costs more.

What do they do different that allows that but we can't do?
Their VAT tax is national tax while our sales taxes are for the states and variable. If you have spent at least a day or two in a place, you should know what the sales tax would be when you buy anything.

We also have a huge tipping practice which I think is out of control

Old Today, 01:37 AM

5,588 posts, read 5,923,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We often go to Portland Oregon and save up expensive, but fairly small purchases (like iPad for there, with no sales tax. Ours is 10% now in my city. The state sales tax is only 6.5%, but the various city and county taxes bring them up to as much as 10.4%, while some small towns in the boonies are only at 7.4%. While most grocery store foods are exempt, we do tax "prepared foods" and soft drinks. Prepared foods are like sandwiches, salads, or chicken wings sold at the deli counter.
Yeah Iíve lived in Portland most of my life (unfortunately; I leave for good 9/07) and Iíve never gotten used to sales taxes even visiting other places and living in LA for 5 years. Still annoying. I bought a bunch of stuff before this upcoming move because itís still cheaper to transport the stuff to another state (Nevada) than to pay the tax there. I even got an 85Ē TV and left it unopened because it was $500 off one day and the sales tax savings were too compelling not to do it. Got two more Apple TVs, a Roomba, lots of stuff that Iíll need there. No way around the sales tax on washer / dryer though haha. Got my fiancť a new MacBook Pro before the move too.

Iím not complaining though, Nevada has no income tax which is way more substantial so Iím happy to pay the sales tax once Iím a resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or