U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 PM
 
82 posts, read 32,209 times
Reputation: 116

Advertisements

One of the interesting things I learned is that in Europe if say you go to a store the prices listed for the items are just that, no extra when checking out. That it even confuses Europeans that come to America and see a price like say $9.99 and to them they think when they check out it will just be $9.99 and are surprised when it costs more.

What do they do different that allows that but we can't do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 PM
 
3,398 posts, read 2,073,972 times
Reputation: 2634
They are required to post prices with the VAT included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:36 PM
 
6,461 posts, read 4,063,729 times
Reputation: 16667
It hasn't been a custom in the US to show prices with tax included because tax varies from state to state and even county to county and city to city. It would be a real chore to adjust shelf prices for every product in every store that has a presence in areas with varying tax rates, and would be virtually impossible for prices preprinted on tags or on the product itself.

On the other hand, in places where there is one set VAT tax for the entire country, it is easy to list that price on the product or shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 AM
 
2,064 posts, read 699,344 times
Reputation: 5289
Please. Those shelf prices, with taxes, are in the computer and they ARE posted net of the tax on the shelves. The computer would have to be re-programmed to print prices including tax, that's all. A Farmer's Market in my area has prices posted with conspicuous signs saying that the sales taxes are included in the prices (typically prices are in whole dollars or multiples of 50 cents), making it easy for people to pay with dollars and quarters and not have to dig up pennies, nickels and dimes.

I DO want tax %s to be posted on the receipt. I'm unpleasantly surprised by the "special taxing districts" in my area where I can be paying an extra 2% over what I pay at the same grocery chain elsewhere. (Typically it goes to the developer.) I live near a state boundary and in the one where I live they sales tax on food is 3% less than on everything else- the neighboring state charges the full tax on food. I'm in Iowa right now and they don't charge any sales tax on food. I try to avoid buying in areas with higher taxes- not because they make a big difference in my finances, but just on principle.

In a way I think it's good to know see hard, cold numbers that show that for every 9 bags of groceries you buy, you buy another for the gubmint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,742 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Reputation: 31023
We often go to Portland Oregon and save up expensive, but fairly small purchases (like iPad for there, with no sales tax. Ours is 10% now in my city. The state sales tax is only 6.5%, but the various city and county taxes bring them up to as much as 10.4%, while some small towns in the boonies are only at 7.4%. While most grocery store foods are exempt, we do tax "prepared foods" and soft drinks. Prepared foods are like sandwiches, salads, or chicken wings sold at the deli counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,557 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12760
Yes, prices in most of Europe include VAT and have for decades; most people don't need a separate tax line listing because they know it the way American know to tip about 20%. Either the rate or the amount appeared on every Euro receipt I ever got (admittedly, a small and select sample). But it's in no way a mystery or a hidden cost, not to the natives.

US shelf pricing could just as easily include the sales tax, especially since customers are not often the ones required to pay and account for it. A merchant can easily just say "tax included" and maintain sale and business accounting that establishes item price and tax percentage - or just not bother with customer tax accounting at all and pay the due from their profits. Those in between flea-market individuals and established companies, like farmer's market sellers (who typically need to be an established business with tax tracking) can make it easy for their class of customer by doing so.

The real reason sales tax isn't rolled into shelf prices or, indeed, called out anywhere in most American stores is the perceived discount feature. Even car buyers don't really consider that $2-5-10k as part of the price. This benefits who? Sellers, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 AM
 
4,222 posts, read 2,311,061 times
Reputation: 4566
Keep in mind the advertising flyers we receive in the mail or in newspapers. Those are printed for regions and with the multiple taxing levels by city, county, and state, the advertised price would be incorrect for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 07:40 AM
 
13,219 posts, read 17,758,482 times
Reputation: 19874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, prices in most of Europe include VAT and have for decades; most people don't need a separate tax line listing because they know it the way American know to tip about 20%. Either the rate or the amount appeared on every Euro receipt I ever got (admittedly, a small and select sample). But it's in no way a mystery or a hidden cost, not to the natives.

US shelf pricing could just as easily include the sales tax, especially since customers are not often the ones required to pay and account for it. A merchant can easily just say "tax included" and maintain sale and business accounting that establishes item price and tax percentage - or just not bother with customer tax accounting at all and pay the due from their profits. Those in between flea-market individuals and established companies, like farmer's market sellers (who typically need to be an established business with tax tracking) can make it easy for their class of customer by doing so.

The real reason sales tax isn't rolled into shelf prices or, indeed, called out anywhere in most American stores is the perceived discount feature. Even car buyers don't really consider that $2-5-10k as part of the price. This benefits who? Sellers, of course.
Riding your hobby horse again:>)
Tax is a flow through item for a vendor be it WalMart or Miss Mouse. The list of end users not required to pay any or not all sales tax is very short and requires documentation and often payment on their side. Do you have a business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,557 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Keep in mind the advertising flyers we receive in the mail or in newspapers. Those are printed for regions and with the multiple taxing levels by city, county, and state, the advertised price would be incorrect for many.
Given that product pricing itself is often regional and digital printing allows customization of mail pieces down to the copy, this isn't the argument it might have been 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Never Never Land
991 posts, read 761,530 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Given that product pricing itself is often regional and digital printing allows customization of mail pieces down to the copy, this isn't the argument it might have been 30 years ago.
Yes, digital printing does allow customization of mail pieces but at those quantities it wouldn't be cost effective to print digitally .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top