U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are you better off now in 2019 than you were back in 2009?
Yes, I'm better off 139 80.35%
No. I'm worse off. 21 12.14%
I'm about the same. 13 7.51%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,603 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Reputation: 2551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You donít say?
Yeah, a lot of people benefited from the rising price of gold back then.

Now it is far worse, both in infrastructure development, increased access to markets/consumerism, and the fact that you need 'high-skilled' global labor to have value.


No one thinks its a good thing yet that is what has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 525,639 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yeah, a lot of people benefited from the rising price of gold back then.

Now it is far worse, both in infrastructure development, increased access to markets/consumerism, and the fact that you need 'high-skilled' global labor to have value.


No one thinks its a good thing yet that is what has happened.
of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,603 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest
All one can do is try, its one of the blessings in life.

You can believe that winning and getting ahead in life is a moral virtue, but what has it done to our country?

There is no great victory in life, nor is there any ultimate meaning, all we can do is get up everyday and try.

If kindness and not wealth was what our society believed in, the world would be a much better place.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eY7bGaccWI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Reputation: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
All one can do is try, its one of the blessings in life.

You can believe that winning and getting ahead in life is a moral virtue, but what has it done to our country?

There is no great victory in life, nor is there any ultimate meaning, all we can do is get up everyday and try.

If kindness and not wealth was what our society believed in, the world would be a much better place.
Try this spiel next time you're about to get fired for ser *******.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,603 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Try this spiel next time you're about to get fired for ser *******.
I work well.

In fact people have been working since the beginning of time; nothing wrong with it.

The type of 'productive' globally competitive work expected of people today is what has destroyed society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 525,639 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I work well.

In fact people have been working since the beginning of time; nothing wrong with it.

The type of 'productive' globally competitive work expected of people today is what has destroyed society.
If you work well then you must provide the productive globally competitive work you decry, since it's expected of people (you didn't enumerate any exceptions to that rule). So you contribute to the problem apparently.

Someone should alert the MSM, society's been destroyed and they haven't been airing it 24/7 as would be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,603 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
If you work well then you must provide the productive globally competitive work you decry, since it's expected of people (you didn't enumerate any exceptions to that rule). So you contribute to the problem apparently.

Someone should alert the MSM, society's been destroyed and they haven't been airing it 24/7 as would be expected.
Why?

Why must people all collectivize their skills and off-shore all the extra cost labor? To increase profits on a spreadsheet?

Just in the past 10 years we've seen an acceleration of job growth being centered around a few metropolitan areas, and for what?

Its ok to work for your local community without the jobs being transplanted by more efficient international supply chains.

I think its a horrible thing. People in a society should make that decision, not technocratic officials, business leaders, and intellectuals who see the world in a list of numbers.

I do work well. No one has the right to tell me otherwise, just because people in power have decided to devalue what I give, does not make it worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 525,639 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Why?

Why must people all collectivize their skills and off-shore all the extra cost labor? To increase profits on a spreadsheet?

Just in the past 10 years we've seen an acceleration of job growth being centered around a few metropolitan areas, and for what?

Its ok to work for your local community without the jobs being transplanted by more efficient international supply chains.

I think its a horrible thing. People in a society should make that decision, not technocratic officials, business leaders, and intellectuals who see the world in a list of numbers.

I do work well. No one has the right to tell me otherwise, just because people in power have decided to devalue what I give, does not make it worthless.
not going down this rabbit hole with you. Keep that glass 99% empty spirit alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
5,549 posts, read 8,892,941 times
Reputation: 11061
Considering that back in 2009 I was laid off and living on Tennessee's maximum unemployment check of 249 dollars per week it is an unqualified yes.

It wasn't too bad back then since I had no bills other than electric service,insurance (Homeowners and auto liability) and internet. There was little room in the budget for much more than the basics.

2009 validated my previous theory of living unleveraged. House was paid for, car was paid for, no credit card debt. It sure made job loss more survivable for me compared to my coworkers. Many of them suffered greatly and a few chose to end their lives. Crappy times.

Now I am not tied to an employer for income and am satisfied with life other than the insane amount of money it costs for health insurance. They outlawed catastrophic insurance for older folks and I am forced into a "bronze" plan @ 870 dollars per month with a 6500 dollar deductible. A typical mortgage payment around here is close to 800 per month. BTW I have no health issues at this point (knock on wood) and have been paying a health insurance for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,456 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Reputation: 9262
It's not really relevant to my situation. I was in grad school then, 26 years old. My only previous job I took seriously had been my years in the Army. I had graduated the year before with a bachelor's degree. I looked for adult jobs for a couple months.... but it was 2008. Things were falling the heck apart. Employers everywhere were laying off workers in huge numbers, not adding them. It was abundantly clear it would not be easy for a young graduate starting out. That was a motivation to do grad school.

That investment ended up paying off by 2019 several times over, given that my job now hinged on the graduate degree. Then I bought a house which I sold for more than double what I paid for it, got married to a wife who has contributed nicely to my net worth, and my income has risen decently in the past 5 years.

Here's the thing - someone trying to do what I did circa 2009 would be worse off in 2019. Since then, the college I went to has skyrocketed in price to more than double what it cost 10 years ago - so a student would be in about twice as much debt as I was. The timing of the housing market is bad - that student today would not be able to buy a house anywhere nearly as cheaply as I did in the early 2010s, so would see none of that growth.

There are more jobs, yes, but they are mostly crappy jobs. Yes they will enable you to get by. But getting ahead is not easier, it is harder.

Entry-level salaries at my workplace are up about 30% over 2009, with most of those increases coming in the past 3-4 years. But housing in my area is up about 100%, and the cost of the education required to compete for the jobs is up about 140%.

The entry level salary at my work in 2009 was 38.5k. That was enough to qualify you to rent a 2br apartment or small house. Today, the entry-level salary is 50.5k, but a problem we've had is that does not qualify our new hires for the 3x rent that most property managers want, and on top of that, they have heavy student loan payments. We recently hired an IT manager and he had to search an hour out to afford a house big enough for his family; I don't know what salary he negotiated but it was a heck of a lot more than entry level - but I suspect he has student loans and he needed a house with more space.

Last edited by redguard57; Yesterday at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top