U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are you better off now in 2019 than you were back in 2009?
Yes, I'm better off 134 80.72%
No. I'm worse off. 20 12.05%
I'm about the same. 12 7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM
 
12,279 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Reputation: 19102

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Maybe an observant citizen not pretending to believe what's being served.
What is being served exactly? If anything is being served to the population by the media or the partisan government - it's just the opposite. Doom and gloom, as that is what sells newspapers (or click revenue as the case may be), or gets a candidate nominated by his party. No one is pretending here, on the contrary there are many personal accounts.

As far as "observant citizen", said "citizen" resorted to personal insults here (which got moderated out it looks like), which doesn't make him "observant" exactly. Quite the opposite in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Reputation: 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
By every relevant measure, the economy is much, much better off today in 2019 than it was a decade ago in 2009? (The recession officially ended June, 2019).

Of course, that doesn't mean every individual person is better off today than they were a decade ago -- hence this poll. Are you better off now in 2019 than you were back in 2009?
Oh hell yes...Making $8.70 an hour now making $17 an hour.....

Credit is repaired and enjoying benefits of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,106 posts, read 13,790,331 times
Reputation: 6473
Sure, but it's more to do with my stage in life rather than the economy. I just graduated high school and was starting college. Now I am more than five years into my career and just purchased a condo last year. The area I live in is making a slight comeback but is certainly not what is was prior to the 2008. Who knows what the future will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,591 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Worse off. 2009 had Saturday morning cartoons, cell phones weren't as addictive, people would still go out to get food and not just use GRUBHUB, Amazon didn't require one day shipping, people didn't have access to all instant gratification markets and still had to talk to each other.


The suburbs had less strip malls and outlets meaning more non-economically beneficial activity, less people meant less traffic.

It has been an endless march to worse for a long time and all politicians right or left want to expand market access and economic activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,591 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
How can most be better off? We are all paying more for the corruption and schemes that seem never ending in this country.
Yes, it has been getting worse.

The 90s were awful, and yet with the tech economy, corporate consolidation, and less social activities that are not profitable, society has been getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 06:11 PM
 
Location: North East
31 posts, read 8,843 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes, in 2009 we had the "damaged goods" economy the repubs usually leave for dems to spend their term cleaning up.




it's hard watching your country turn fascist...


Thx

LMAO hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,106 posts, read 13,790,331 times
Reputation: 6473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Worse off. 2009 had Saturday morning cartoons, cell phones weren't as addictive, people would still go out to get food and not just use GRUBHUB, Amazon didn't require one day shipping, people didn't have access to all instant gratification markets and still had to talk to each other.


The suburbs had less strip malls and outlets meaning more non-economically beneficial activity, less people meant less traffic.

It has been an endless march to worse for a long time and all politicians right or left want to expand market access and economic activity.
Yes, there's been a significant social and cultural decline. 2009 seems like the "good old days" in that sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,591 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yes, there's been a significant social and cultural decline. 2009 seems like the "good old days" in that sense.
Yes, while 2009 still had computers and TVs, you could still opt-out by taking a walk in the park. Now everyone is connected to the market economy at all time.

And even the internet was slower meaning more time had to be dedicated to accomplishing tasks and TV shows had schedules, not just on demand streaming.

Now people don't have to wait or invest time in anything, they get anything they want instantly and simplicity, peace of mind, and human emotional contact have decline.

Even going to a national park or light house has become about sharing your experience on Instagram rather than the physical experience of the place your in now.

There is no more anticipation for good shows as I can watch them any time and people have been further separated from the immediate present and want to experience everything all the time.


2009 wasn't great, but we have fallen far in a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 06:59 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,095,603 times
Reputation: 5608
In 2009 I owned a condo and lived in a crappy city. That condo which I bought in 2005 was worth half of what I paid for it. I was gainfully employed but I had real estate debt, automotive debt and student loan debt. I was not happy with my living arrangements.

Fast forward to 2019 and a house I bought in 2012 has a value more than double what I paid for it. My salary has increased roughly 40%, the student loan and automotive debts are gone. I own two vehicle outright now. My retirement funds have more than doubled since 2009 and I have settled on an investment strategy that I like whereas in 2009 I had no strategy. I am now happy with my living arrangements.

Things are much better for me in 2019 than 2009 but I have to assign most of the credit to my decisions made over the intervening 10 years rather than the improvements in the economy. The economic changes have played a role in the improvement but said improvement would not have been nearly as significant if I made different decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM
 
2,735 posts, read 1,751,953 times
Reputation: 5962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yes, while 2009 still had computers and TVs, you could still opt-out by taking a walk in the park. Now everyone is connected to the market economy at all time.

And even the internet was slower meaning more time had to be dedicated to accomplishing tasks and TV shows had schedules, not just on demand streaming.

Now people don't have to wait or invest time in anything, they get anything they want instantly and simplicity, peace of mind, and human emotional contact have decline.

Even going to a national park or light house has become about sharing your experience on Instagram rather than the physical experience of the place your in now.

There is no more anticipation for good shows as I can watch them any time and people have been further separated from the immediate present and want to experience everything all the time.


2009 wasn't great, but we have fallen far in a short time.
I trust you have a comprehensive study that shows the statistically significant change in all these factors you’re babbling on about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top