U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The country with the best economic system is:
Canada 6 8.00%
Japan 5 6.67%
Germany 11 14.67%
China 2 2.67%
United States 39 52.00%
Denmark 2 2.67%
Norway 6 8.00%
Australia 4 5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 10,675,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If the U.S. had universal health care, I would consider it to have the best system in the world. But it not only doesn't have that, it has a health care system that kicks you when you're down by tying health insurance to employment.

If you're a productive worker you are probably healthy. If you're not healthy it's going to be hard to hold a job. If you lose your job you lose your health insurance. If you get sick without health insurance the system will bankrupt you quickly.

To add insult to injury, only about half of U.S. health insurance plans are even good. The other half don't pay out on claims if they can help it, using all kinds of excuses to avoid paying. Even many employer plans are not good, and have such high out of pocket costs that they can still bankrupt people.
Sadly, I agree. The system is riddled with complexity and self-serving interests, nor is it anything akin to a transparent free market system.

I am no expert, but, simplistically, I think we should either go full-out free market system, or at least provide a single-payer, tax-funded option without eliminating private-sector options.

In any case, there is no relief in sight.

As it stands with this complicated uber-hybrid mess, I am afraid to go to a doctor or in any case get involved with the system in any way, and my spouse usually goes abroad for non-emergency medical services.

The upside is that I do the best I can to take care of myself, for its own sake of course, but also to avoid getting involved for as long as possible and hopefully one day die in my sleep with the least amount of stress to others, like my grandmother did at age 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 AM

10,515 posts, read 8,762,464 times
Switzerland: liberal social benefits and a flexible labor market, plus low unemployment, strong currency and strong Central Bank.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM

115 posts, read 61,654 times
America is a failed economy. It's very corrupt. There are very vew economic opportunities here except for low wage jobs. On the other hand, I have never seen a poor Australian or Norwegian. They always seem to have plenty of money to live and travel. I've never been paid more than $16/hr in this country despite having years of work experience. That's close to their minimum wage!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
America is a failed economy. It's very corrupt. There are very vew economic opportunities here except for low wage jobs. On the other hand, I have never seen a poor Australian or Norwegian. They always seem to have plenty of money to live and travel. I've never been paid more than $16/hr in this country despite having years of work experience. That's close to their minimum wage!
$16 an hour is pretty low for anybody with years of work experience.

How old are you and what kind of work do you do?

Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 AM

7,921 posts, read 5,039,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
By "open to (and respectful of) the world" do you mean being walked all over.
Yes.

The world is more stable and prosperous, and thus better for business and investment, when the US sustains the majority of the risk and burdens, but enjoys the minority of the benefits.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM

12,255 posts, read 12,503,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What is so special about Cayman Islands?

Arenít they kind of small to have much of an economic system?
They are the underground banking capital of the world. Any rich person who wants to evade taxes parks their money in the Caymans. Like Monaco, there is so much money there that it really does trickle down.

Singapore, OTOH, has a vibrant trade economy.

https://www.heritage.org/index/country/singapore

Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,760,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Sadly, I agree. The system is riddled with complexity and self-serving interests, nor is it anything akin to a transparent free market system.

I am no expert, but, simplistically, I think we should either go full-out free market system, or at least provide a single-payer, tax-funded option without eliminating private-sector options.

In any case, there is no relief in sight.

As it stands with this complicated uber-hybrid mess, I am afraid to go to a doctor or in any case get involved with the system in any way, and my spouse usually goes abroad for non-emergency medical services.

The upside is that I do the best I can to take care of myself, for its own sake of course, but also to avoid getting involved for as long as possible and hopefully one day die in my sleep with the least amount of stress to others, like my grandmother did at age 95.
I also avoid the doctor except when it's absolutely necessary. I have about $17k in my HSA, but that would probably be gone in a heartbeat if anything happened.

The U.S. has a great system if you're on the winning side of it and nothing goes wrong. Generally speaking I think it has a better system in general than Europe for upward mobility, especially on the high side. In Europe they have it set up where the kids can emulate their parents and things are pretty good; it's harder for the kids to outdo the parents. They have a kind of institutional class system as a result. If your parents were worker-bees, it's not easy for kids to not be worker-bees. On the plus side they will probably do as well as the parents did.

In the U.S. most generations also track the one behind them, but there's somewhat more opportunity to outdo your parents significantly.

But the U.S. is much worse at catching people when they trip or fall. A health emergency or extended job loss practically ensures financial destruction that the person will never recover from.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 AM

1,002 posts, read 750,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Switzerland: liberal social benefits and a flexible labor market, plus low unemployment, strong currency and strong Central Bank.

...and no resources wasted on war, well at least not in the last 170 years or so.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM

1,153 posts, read 526,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
so I take it you're going to give up your citizenship and move, where to Norway or Australia?

Old 07-08-2019, 05:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 1,754,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
...and no resources wasted on war, well at least not in the last 170 years or so.
I guess they were fortunate that operation tannenbaum wasn’t launched, eh?

It’s only a “waste” until it’s needed for survival....or when you’re protected under the American security umbrella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or