Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:03 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Laid off coal workers, laid off auto workers and the politicians seem to make a big deal out of it, but retail workers? From January thru mid-June of this year, U.S. companies made plans to close down 7,000 brick-and-mortar stores, 160,000 retail jobs lost since 2017 and more to come. And a great number of these retail workers are women. Unfortunately, Trump's tariffs are kicking these companies while they're already down.

Trump has cushioned the impact of the trade war for other industries through taxpayer funded bail-outs and subsidies, but no such rescue seems in the offing for retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Laid off coal workers, laid off auto workers and the politicians seem to make a big deal out of it, but retail workers? From January thru mid-June of this year, U.S. companies made plans to close down 7,000 brick-and-mortar stores, 160,000 retail jobs lost since 2017 and more to come. And a great number of these retail workers are women. Unfortunately, Trump's tariffs are kicking these companies while they're already down.

Trump has cushioned the impact of the trade war for other industries through taxpayer funded bail-outs and subsidies, but no such rescue seems in the offing for retail.
I'm guessing that the fate of retail labor is tied to the myth of what the media, and now the masses, call--"entry level work" In that tale of how low compensation allowed the inexperienced to gain job skills, and the merchant to gain profits, everyone was characterized as a winner. Retail jobs for the newly emancipated teen was the norm, and that class of worker never had the kind of representation that allowed the organized workers to flourish.

It also has to do with what one poster has called the worthiness doctrine, summed up as the idea that some people are worthy of our compassion---but not others..Retail workers are regarded as unworthy for the most part..They are just one segment of our national labor force that gets little respect, we have tons of work out there that is considered way beneath the average American's expectations of what is socially acceptable work, and the pay is usually commensurate with that view.

But that view isn't surprising considering our infatuation with higher education posturing as a ticket to ride. And conversely, those who have no such credentials are deemed as the "lesser ones" in society. We like to think of ourselves as having little to no class consciousness issues as frictional class fodder in our great egalitarian society, but we do indeed have such thoughts deeply embedded in American culture.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Maybe because most retail jobs are considered unskilled entry level and part time jobs. Same with fast food. Jobs like these aren't met to support a family like a coal worker, auto worker, etc.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:

If I were a laid-off retail worker, I think I would hot-foot it over to the nearest Amazon distribution center to look for work.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Tariffs have zero to do with it.

The way in which Americans shop has changed. That change is permanent, and you cannot alter it.

Two generations of Americans have grown up shopping on-line. That is how they will shop for the rest of their lives, and so will all subsequent generations.

Given those facts and realities, only a moron would actually believe there's a career in retail.

You, and only you, are responsible for your job.

I'm in no way responsible. It is not my job to waste my time searching on-line for journal articles and a plethora of other resources discussing the affairs of your sector of the economy, or your particular industry, or your particular company, or your particular job.

That's your responsibility, not mine.

Anyone who is so pathetic that they cannot devote a few minutes each day to reading about the economic affairs of their economic sector, or industry or field, or the company they work for, and use that information to their advantage is totally undeserving of any sympathy.

10-Q Reports are available for free on-line. If you work for a publicly-traded corporation, then you need to spend a whole freaking 5 minutes once every 3 months to read those reports, to see how your company is faring.

Layoffs/closures are not last-minute decisions, rather they're the result of long-term effects, and anyone who isn't reading through Pollyanna rose-colored glasses can see the writing on the wall.

And, if people are too stupid to understand that society has changed, not only are they undeserving of sympathy, they're undeserving of a job as well.

But, look at the bright side: those people get to stay home and spend even more time playing video games or watching inane reality shows, because that's really what's important to them.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If I were a laid-off retail worker, I think I would hot-foot it over to the nearest Amazon distribution center to look for work.
I'm sure many retail workers have heard of the horrors that go on in Amazon Distribution Centers!

Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Instead of blaming Trump you should blame everyone who orders online for home delivery.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:05 AM

120 posts, read 65,302 times
Retail jobs rarely require skills beyond human interaction. Retailers regularly get money for participating in Govt programs. Ask yourself - What does a retail worker contribute? These jobs should be primarily held by high school kids learning how to manage time and deal with others outside of school.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
I'm sure many retail workers have heard of the horrors that go on in Amazon Distribution Centers!
Retail work is no walk in the park either.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
Retail jobs rarely require skills beyond human interaction. Retailers regularly get money for participating in Govt programs. Ask yourself - What does a retail worker contribute? These jobs should be primarily held by high school kids learning how to manage time and deal with others outside of school.
What does a retail worker contribute? And how about a coal miner? Putting more carbon into the atmosphere and destroying the environment!

I'm old fashioned and I still shop at brick-and-mortar stores and I truly appreciate having retail workers around to answer questions.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-02-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics