U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM

868 posts, read 165,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I just don't buy it. No group of people is subject to being incarcerated without committing a crime. If one group commits more crimes than another, they should be locked up without regard to a "we got enough of those" arbitration.

Income inequality is largely due to differences in competency. I've seen rich kids fall on their face, poor fatherless kids become President and everything in between.

This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
desire and work ethic = $$$$

...and this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM

1,767 posts, read 913,650 times
We need to stop assuming we are all of equal intelligence, equal health and equal backgrounds. The reasons some cannot escape poverty are many, and many of them work, sometimes more than one job.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 PM

248 posts, read 117,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
We need to stop assuming we are all of equal intelligence, equal health and equal backgrounds. The reasons some cannot escape poverty are many, and many of them work, sometimes more than one job.
I agree.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM

12,698 posts, read 12,854,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I believe it. I am poor and have been trying to not be poor since I was 14. Usually, poverty itself keeps me poor. Cant really make money without money.

Crime/loss of property and small convenience fees, poor credit(I avoid getting a credit card now-i feel like I missed the boat-no one taught me what credit was and when bankers offered it to me at 18/19 i was thinking they were trying to swindle me , my mom told me pay in cash when you can), parents and friend needing money, not having a car. I buy clothes once every 4 months and rarely spend more than 200 dollars altogether on it. I dont have any jewelry or a macbook. I have no criminal record. I dont eat out much and when I do its usually with the coupons for fast food that get mailed out my house. I would like to eat at sweetgreen and other more organics spots. I haven't flown anything other than spirit air in 10 years. I have left the country in 5 years and i didn't pay for that.

I work at a warehouse in Baltimore. My job gave me tickets to an O's game. I came on a limescooter as it would be $7 cheaper than an uber (4$ v 11$)and only $2 more than the bus and much faster. I forgot my tickets at home and had to scooter there and back. ON the way back a scooter died, and I had to walk a ways to find another one. It ended up costing me $15 because to reload money on the scooter thy make you pay $5 at a time. By the time I got back to the game the pregame picnic they were holding for us was over. I had been relying on that picnic to be my dinner. I bought the smallest cheapest beer at the game so as to not make myself stick out. I spent another $3.49 on bread to finish grilling the 8 burger patties i had at home. That was supposed to be dinner for Saturday. Instead I had to spend another $6 staurday on a greasy nasty chicken box from Royal Farms. LEaving my ticket at home and coming back to the game cost me an extra $20.49
out of my bank account which stood at $73 before the game. I wasnt supposed to spend more than 12-13$.

Overdraft fees kill me sometimes because on my banking app the expenses dont usually post in real time or even within a few days. I can forget I got the $8 pack of water bottles on Saturdayday instead of the $4pack and be overdrafted 35 dollars on Monday.

Im pretty much ready to give up. Ive been reading on trying to improve but i dont have the luck. Just found out have 2 small learning disabilities as well. Most recently my phone was stolen and I cannot access any of my contacts on iCloud or through my carrier. Thats been a small setback. I cant afford to get a new phone till i get paid next friday.

I am 26 now I would agree that it would take me about 15-20 years to lift myself out of poverty/near poverty at this rate. Id like to focus on more longterm goals but my life is dominated by day to day travesties which are just inconveniences for wealthier people.
Your story is very familiar to me. I have an old friend who lives in utter poverty, except he is 67 years old. He is always sabotaging himself. "Forgetting" the tickets and being late to events is only one example. He has "lost" three cell phones in the last 10 years. He "lost" a $20,000 insurance settlement because he ignored collection letters from the IRS for years.

As I have noted before, it takes planning and discipline to be successfully poor.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM

14,263 posts, read 8,915,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Working 2 full time minimum wage jobs and eating at food banks and sleeping on the street and/or renting a place with a roommate you could maybe invest some money—I have no where near that discipline, personally, but an exceptional person could do it.
2 Full Time jobs in Louisiana would pay 80 X 7.50 = 600/week, $31,200 per year.
You'll make it.

I get it. You're just giving an example of someone who is broke and struggling. But many of us have been broke and we struggled to pay the bills. That doesn't mean it has to be a permanent situation. I remember the feeling of despair and wishing I had just 5$ extra to spend over the weekend. That was long ago. Now I am retired with home paid for, rental property income, and money in amounts I could only dream of in those distant days.
It can be done. Even if things "go wrong".

Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 PM

10,867 posts, read 4,158,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There is discrimination written into many criminal statutes, especially in drug crime areas. Take crack vs. power cocaine.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...-penalties.htm
Yes it's an obvious bias towards the wealthy.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 976,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There is a point past which you can no longer shrink your basic living expenses.

WOULD YOU WANT TO LIVE on $24k?
That's way more money than I'd ever made before. I'd love it.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 PM

7,261 posts, read 6,810,827 times
I just reread my initial post and should have altered it slightly. I don’t buy that most poor people are more lazy than wealthy people. People are lazy, but you are your circumstances more often than not. It takes something extraordinary to break you out of them.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 PM

146 posts, read 32,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your story is very familiar to me. I have an old friend who lives in utter poverty, except he is 67 years old. He is always sabotaging himself. "Forgetting" the tickets and being late to events is only one example. He has "lost" three cell phones in the last 10 years. He "lost" a $20,000 insurance settlement because he ignored collection letters from the IRS for years.

As I have noted before, it takes planning and discipline to be successfully poor.
I think he doesn't care about money, which is a good thing. He's going to die soon as are all of us, and nobody can take a cent with us so after a certain age who cares. He's probably a lot wiser than you, he probably doesn't spend time on forums judging others for financial mistakes that don't matter in the big picture anyway.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:51 PM

12,698 posts, read 12,854,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
I think he doesn't care about money, which is a good thing. He's going to die soon as are all of us, and nobody can take a cent with us so after a certain age who cares. He's probably a lot wiser than you, he probably doesn't spend time on forums judging others for financial mistakes that don't matter in the big picture anyway.
Escaping poverty is a value judgment? Wrong thread to be escaping to some adolescent fantasy of total freedom.

People don't realize how often they sabotage themselves financially. Being poor is not easy. It requires planning and attention.

There are steps along the way. Someday you go from being poor to being broke to having a little padding,and suddenly you aren't poor any more. Except the padding might take a decade of scraping every nickel and squeezing every dollar until the eagle screams.

Yeah, things don't always go right, but at least eliminate those downturns that you can control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or