U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

12,945 posts, read 4,670,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I am very familiar with his speech. Nowhere in it does he state or imply that one minimum wage income should be enough to support a family. Particularly in an era when most working class households contained two wage-earners.
He's talking about all workers. He didnt make an exception for workers with a family. He made it very clear. And alot of people back in the 1930s had one breadwinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
You don't have to become some "Wall Street guy" or a Doctor but 15 an hour to flip burgers and jack up a food order is ridiculous. Take a Pharmacy Tech as an example, they make on average $14-15 an hour and this person is responsible to make sure you get the correct medications in the correct dosages. If they or the Pharmacist make a mistake they could inadvertently kill someone. They require a higher level of attention, skill and education so if we are going to approve a minimum wage for someone to flip a burger to $15 then I'd expect these people to get a significant raise in salary also but you and I both know that wont happen. Next we'll see people flipping burgers and jacking up orders making the same as someone responsible for someone's life like my above example or maybe that burger flipper will hand you your next dose of meds. Good luck with that.

My point being if you are doing jobs like washing dishes and driving a taxi then maybe you should consider another career path if you are trying to support a family and not ask me and the rest of the country to allow you to do a low skill job and get paid the same as someone that requires higher skills.
Of course people making an average of $14-15 an hour will increase their leverage when the minimum wage is $15. Thats the whole point. Thats a true rising tide lifting a lot of boats. Not simply the people at the rock bottom. It improves the bargaining power of huge numbers of people. Not simply the cashier. How much does an ambulance driver make? Typically $12-13 an hour. Tour guides and travel guides make significantly less than $15 now as well. Same with warehouse workers, recreation workers (on RV camps, civic and social organizations etc), childcare workers etc etc.

Whats so great about these low wages? Time for a big raise.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 138 times
J746NEW: Touche but a lot of folks who know zero about economics will say everything is working well and Ayn Rand is some saintly figure. Because what's good for biz is good for America. Many bad actors are killing the country via collusion, etc. and other companies suffer b/c they get away with it. As if they even care about the public.

Late stage capitalism is proving some writers correct ( that shall remain nameless) even if you don't agree w/the wet behind the ears kids that wish for magical no debt college. The subject is scarcity and if more colleges didn't base prestige on their building fund that would help.

Speaking of moneychangers connotates exchange rates and what could happen to the dollar when the next Implosion comes. We're not Argentina but I fear that scenario is approaching with the malfeasance we're recently seen. Hacks will blame Joe Public, and although their behavior may be part of it, for sure the Wall St boys will be winking at their stooges in DC.

I'm sure some of us who aren't drones would love to stick it to the ones who are still finding ways to hollow out what's left of America. Pay yellow journalism to get us to fight over the crumbs while they decide how to best spend their lucre.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

48 posts, read 70,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course people making an average of $14-15 an hour will increase their leverage when the minimum wage is $15. Thats the whole point. Thats a true rising tide lifting a lot of boats. Not simply the people at the rock bottom. It improves the bargaining power of huge numbers of people. Not simply the cashier. How much does an ambulance driver make? Typically $12-13 an hour. Tour guides and travel guides make significantly less than $15 now as well. Same with warehouse workers, recreation workers (on RV camps, civic and social organizations etc), childcare workers etc etc.

Whats so great about these low wages? Time for a big raise.

Not saying anything is great about low wages but you must be high if you think by simply giving the low wage earners more money that it will automatically give the people above them more money through bargaining power. Companies don't like to part with money and all you are going to do by giving the low earners more money and not taking care of the skilled workers is drive them off to other occupations or they will advance their own skills and earn more money some other way and next thing I know people will be lobbying for $20-25 minimum wage because they don't earn a "living wage" again. See the big circle here? Basically I'm saying develop a skill and advance your self instead of asking the govt to do it for you.

This is not a bash on low earners either, they understand and do what they do because they want to but they all know deep down if they want to earn more money what they need to do, they just choose not to do it.

But to be honest I don't understand their situations or your logic because I chose to forecast my life and where i wanted to go at a young age and have continued to work towards that goal and I'm teaching the same to my kids. I tell them McD's and dishwashers is not a career job and you have to develop in-demand skills and work towards your goal.....but maybe I have it all wrong.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

30,716 posts, read 49,511,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Living wage means enough to provide food and shelter and maybe a new pair of shoes once a year. It does not mean enough money for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house, a new car, and all the latest electronics.

Even in the high cost areas, you can get shelter and food on a minimum wage. Lots of people do it. They complain that they don't get the 3 bedroom 2 bath house, the 72 inch TV, and a brand new car, but they are living, fed, and out of the rain.

Nowhere in America can you drive around and see starving people with all their bones showing and their clothing in taters ... unless you find a nest of meth addicts and they seem to have enough cash to keep themselves supplied with drugs.
I agree.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 836,263 times
As a low-wage earner myself, it would be nice to make $ 15.00 an hour at my government office job. However, that does not mean I am under the illusion that it would change my life. For one thing, rents would probably rise drastically, washing out the increase in wage (and we aren't the ones buying homes).

I am not opposed to raising it, I just think there is some naivety as to how it is going to effect people.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
Not saying anything is great about low wages but you must be high if you think by simply giving the low wage earners more money that it will automatically give the people above them more money through bargaining power. Companies don't like to part with money and all you are going to do by giving the low earners more money and not taking care of the skilled workers is drive them off to other occupations or they will advance their own skills and earn more money some other way and next thing I know people will be lobbying for $20-25 minimum wage because they don't earn a "living wage" again. See the big circle here? Basically I'm saying develop a skill and advance your self instead of asking the govt to do it for you.

This is not a bash on low earners either, they understand and do what they do because they want to but they all know deep down if they want to earn more money what they need to do, they just choose not to do it.

But to be honest I don't understand their situations or your logic because I chose to forecast my life and where i wanted to go at a young age and have continued to work towards that goal and I'm teaching the same to my kids. I tell them McD's and dishwashers is not a career job and you have to develop in-demand skills and work towards your goal.....but maybe I have it all wrong.
You are saying that if the minimum wage is $15 an hour and ambulance drivers and tour guides typically make $12.50 an hour now, it wouldnt benefit them with a higher minimum wage? If the employer sees that the tour guide would rather be a hair dresser or store clerk earning $15 an hour, the employer has to give the tour guide a better wage to retain staff. Its a rising tide lifting a lot of boats.

We have to have tour guides, ambulance drivers, store clerks, taxi drivers, bakers, hair dressers, cooks and childcare workers. Even if they typically make less than $15 an hour now, we cant expect everyone to just be some big shot highly skilled worker. All workers should be able to reap the benefits of the work they do through a decent standard of living. An increase in minimum wage means, they'll pay more in taxes, be less dependent on government assistance and will increase domestic consumption and demand for goods and services.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,639,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
THere isn't a single McDonald's that I have been two in the last year that doesn't have the automating already starting.

Until there is a robot handing you the food and taking the change and cooking the food (someone has to wrap them until a robot does it), there will be people working there. Just fewer of them.

In 20 years McCorners will be vending machines...with an employee on a route to clean them out and restock them and landing spaces for drones to deliver the last mile.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
For one thing, rents would probably rise drastically, washing out the increase in wage (and we aren't the ones buying homes).
But this hasnt proven to be the case. A small rise in prices and rents happen, but washing out the entire increase never happens. Its a way mainstream media tries to scare people.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 836,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But this hasnt proven to be the case. A small rise in prices and rents happen, but washing out the entire increase never happens. Its a way mainstream media tries to scare people.
Then that would be a great thing and would actually help people. I just look at how rapidly rents have risen in my area and that is without a raise in the min. wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or