U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 692,959 times

Advertisements

H.R. 582, “Raise the wage act” is a good bill, but opponents of the bill will refrain from mentioning the minimum hourly rate will not be $15 until 7th year after the bill's passage.

In the likely case that it's not passed through and added to our federal statutes, I urge U.S. Congressional members to continue striving and pass a bill that would increase the minimum wage rate by 12.5% of its purchasing power until it attains 125% of its February-1968 purchasing power. Thereafter the rate should be monitored and annually adjusted to retain that purchasing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,760,180 times
I guess 7 years will allow most businesses to react and replace those jobs.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 PM

18,958 posts, read 7,367,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most likely 75% of McJobs are done by robots within 5 years.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM

13,979 posts, read 7,446,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
McJobs already pay close to that in my zip code.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 692,959 times
Quote:
GeoffD, BobNJ1960, Jrkliny, automation has always been of net benefit to our nation's economy. Wages of lesser purchasing power do not promote the need for automation. Poor wages and slower adoption of automation is characteristic of the very poorest national economies.

Respectfully, Supposn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Geezerrunner, ...Higher minimum rates accelerate automation. Lesser per-unit production costs and/or other improvements due to automation have been net beneficial to our nation.
To the extent lesser minimum rate delays or otherwise hinders automation in the USA, those lesser rates are additionally net detrimental to our nation’s economic and social wellbeing. ...

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

6,357 posts, read 2,700,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Those McJobs would have been in China using Communist labor if they could have figured out a way to have the American Customers teleport to China and back in the flick of an eye.

Workers having in power under capitalism is frowned upon by the moneychangers.

We should flood Washington DC with labor advocates and working Americans going in as politicians from many industries in order to give the corporate and banking elite a taste of their own medicine.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,760,180 times
I guess I will never understand why some people think totally unskilled, entry level jobs should pay a "living wage" that will support a family. Working in a McD's should be a job for a teenager or retiree working part time to pick up some spending money. It should not be considered as a career.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

5,218 posts, read 2,785,192 times
lolololololololololol

the people they are trying to help are going to get crushed. All these low wage people will be out of jobs and we will be paying mexicans under the table to do them.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

22,745 posts, read 28,807,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
H.R. 582, “Raise the wage act” is a good bill, but opponents of the bill will refrain from mentioning the minimum hourly rate will not be $15 until 7th year after the bill's passage........

At some point are people ever going to figure out that politicians are buying votes, not taking care of the population? All I'm seeing here is "vote for me, I raised your wages for you". (But, not really. I kicked the can down the road but I want credit for it right now. Vote for me.)

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

12,915 posts, read 4,662,023 times
Quote:
I guess I will never understand why some people think totally unskilled, entry level jobs should pay a "living wage" that will support a family. Working in a McD's should be a job for a teenager or retiree working part time to pick up some spending money. It should not be considered as a career.
Tell that to FDR, the father of the minimum wage who said that it should be a living wage that will support a family.

A dishwasher typically makes $11 an hour, a taxi driver makes $12.50 an hour, a restaurant cook makes $12.80 an hour, a hair dresser makes $11.90 an hour.

These are typical jobs in America. You can complain all you want that the wages are too high and that these workers need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but it doesnt change reality. Not everyone can be some big shot Wall Street guy or a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or