U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 3,675,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Who said panhandlers are ditching their jobs? Maybe it's a second job for them.
We have a few at certain locations and it is their primary job, as they are there every day.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

2,908 posts, read 1,425,653 times
Then how come you all aren't panhandling? If it's so prosperous and easy, why aren't you guys on a corner somewhere??

Did Forbes publish it's lost of America's wealthiest homeless guys? I missed it.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

657 posts, read 196,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
Look at all the benefits panhandling has to offer.

1 You get to work outside.
2 You are able to meet a lot of people.
3 You set your own hours.
4 Switching job locations is easy. Just move to the next street light.
5 Best benefit of all is your 'earnings' are not taxed.
Not only that, but you can come to work under the influence of whatever your drug of choice is, there are no random blood or urine tests, you aren't likely to ruin your back doing manual labor, and you don't have to deal with a Manager, let alone having to do "annual reviews" or other nonsense. You can also tell your customers to "fuggoff" if they give you any lip, try doing that when you work at Home Depot.

Yesterday, a guy with a mournful face came past my car with the standard handwritten "Please help, I'm homeless and very hungry" sign. I recognized him as the same Barry Manilow-looking guy who's been selling flowers on every southwest side intersection for the last twenty years - although he did look a little more down on his luck than when he was selling roses. The change in demeanor is amazing if you watch these guys, they walk "normally" (with vigor) on the side of the road when the light is green - but when the light turns red and the traffic stops, they hunch over their shoulders, stare at the ground, and shuffle slowly between the lines of cars, designed to evoke pity in the minds of the potential givers. Hey, if it makes the people who fall for this stuff happy by giving them money, God Bless, but I'm sure not in their camp.

Another story, by buddy was parked in a lot for some reason, and a guy with one leg was walking with a crutch and a sign, and making pretty good coin. After a while, the guy retreated to a far corner of the same lot as my buddy, put on a prosthetic leg, and proceeded to climb onto a nice mountain bike. My buddy drove over and complimented him on his sales technique, and gave him a buck for talking to him. The guy was all bright-eyed and bushy tailed as he agreed with my buddy that he had a pretty good gig going - nice work if you can get it.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 3,258,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
If the economy is sooo great, why are people ditching their jobs to panhandle? I have never seen so many panhandlers asking for "spare" change. Why work for a crappy job when you can get so much tax free cash?
I knew a couple who did just that. They'd beg at the off ramps, the female would pull in more than the guy did, but he said they'd average $125-$150 a day for 5-7 hours of standing.

I once was at a store, saw a near new car come in and the driver parked way off in a corner. Got out in ragged clothes, milk crate, lunchbox and a CARDBOARD SIGN....Never gave a penny to them afterward...

One of the worst ones was a guy who was begging at the off ramp to Jantzen Beach and this was near the bars which had gambling machines. One guy was there with his "I am a 30 year vet" sign. Well, he was getting a nice pension, but he'd take the begging money and gamble with it. Never spent his own...

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,055 posts, read 54,832,123 times
There was a news reporter that did a story on panhandlers in Seattle, working near Pike Place Market during the summer tourist/cruise season. They were averaging $300/ day tax free cash. That’s $6,000/month, the equivalent of $37.50/hour if they are “working” 40 hours a week. A lot easier than actual jobs, no boss, no chance of layoffs, no need for a degree or experience, no tax to pay.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

3,983 posts, read 1,693,220 times
No benefits, no pension, no self respect.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

113 posts, read 75,322 times
Scammer in NYC

https://youtu.be/PSprgVjLFgk

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

5,326 posts, read 2,834,004 times
Not from me it doesn’t.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

330 posts, read 1,011,231 times
I sat through several cycles of a broken left turn arrow and watched a bum make at least $40 in about 12 minutes. I saw most of the bills handed to him and they were 5's and one ten. There were ones too, but mostly 5's. If it kept up like that all day he made a fortune, although that was rush hour. I'm certain he could have made $800 a day easily, I know he got there at 7 or before and was there until dark. That's awfully good and easy money.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

5,236 posts, read 1,435,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I sat through several cycles of a broken left turn arrow and watched a bum make at least $40 in about 12 minutes. I saw most of the bills handed to him and they were 5's and one ten. There were ones too, but mostly 5's. If it kept up like that all day he made a fortune, although that was rush hour. I'm certain he could have made $800 a day easily, I know he got there at 7 or before and was there until dark. That's awfully good and easy money.
Is my math right? More than $200,000 per year, tax free, working 5 days a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or