U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 01:33 PM

1,186 posts, read 542,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
TDS, so many afflicted.
how so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM

2,258 posts, read 959,458 times
Not a ďjobĒ I would want to try, especially if most people are like me and donít give them a nickel.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:45 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,002,550 times
It's the subject of this classic short-story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma...he-Twisted_Lip

Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 PM

2,379 posts, read 555,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Yes, the dems are so concerned about how well the IRS is doing its job they're considering getting Trump's NY information because they can't get his federal returns. So much for the purpose being to monitor how the IRS is auditing the president.

Or better yet, they want to look at the returns to see if additional legislation is necessary. Nice that they want to craft laws around one individual's tax returns.

As for how you perceive the IRS's efforts in auditing a sitting president, he's only been president for 2 years. The IRS has been auditing his returns for what, 20 - 25 years.

Or maybe you just view the entire agency as incompetent and they let everyone off Scot free in their audits.
The purpose is not to monitor how the IRS is auditing Trump - as I said, itís outlined for you by the House Democrats. Considering his bizarre behavior in refusal to release his tax return (after his own promise to do so) as well as refusing to divest or put his organization into a blind trust (relative to conflict of interest), the reason for the continued interest is painfully obvious. Then there is the issue of the $40M home he allegedly flipped - for twice the amount - to a Russian business leader. At what point is it fair to make the assumption there is something to hide - when the treasury secretary spends so much time safeguarding Trumpís return?

That said, ironically enough, back to panhandling.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:53 PM

Just to clarify my point, this is the relevant portion of the letter Neal sent to Rettig requesting the returns.

April 3, 2019
The Honorable Charles P. Rettig
Commissioner
Internal Revenue Service
1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20224

Dear Commissioner Rettig:

The Committee on Ways and Means (“Committee”) has oversight and legislative authority over our Federal tax laws. With this authority comes a responsibility to ensure that the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) is enforcing the laws in a fair and impartial manner.

Consistent with its authority, the Committee is considering legislative proposals and conducting oversight related to our Federal tax laws, including, but not limited to, the extent to which the IRS audits and enforces the Federal tax laws against a President. Under the Internal Revenue Manual, individual income tax returns of a President are subject to mandatory examination, but this practice is IRS policy and not codified in the Federal tax laws. It is necessary for the Committee to determine the scope of any such examination and whether it includes a review of underlying business activities required to be reported on the individual income tax return.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM

2,379 posts, read 555,419 times
Quote:
Just to clarify my point, this is the relevant portion of the letter Neal sent to Rettig requesting the returns.

April 3, 2019
The Honorable Charles P. Rettig
Commissioner
Internal Revenue Service
1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20224

Dear Commissioner Rettig:

The Committee on Ways and Means (“Committee”) has oversight and legislative authority over our Federal tax laws. With this authority comes a responsibility to ensure that the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) is enforcing the laws in a fair and impartial manner.

Consistent with its authority, the Committee is considering legislative proposals and conducting oversight related to our Federal tax laws, including, but not limited to, the extent to which the IRS audits and enforces the Federal tax laws against a President. Under the Internal Revenue Manual, individual income tax returns of a President are subject to mandatory examination, but this practice is IRS policy and not codified in the Federal tax laws. It is necessary for the Committee to determine the scope of any such examination and whether it includes a review of underlying business activities required to be reported on the individual income tax return.
I know you can’t honestly believe it’s about the IRS (other than as a means to an end i.e. legislative purpose). We can’t know what we don’t know - and that’s the point!

Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I know you canít honestly believe itís about the IRS (other than as a means to an end i.e. legislative purpose). We canít know what we donít know - and thatís the point!
Yeah, see the problem is, that's the stated "legitimate legislative purpose."

But you're right, dems have been making other statements about other uses, principally releasing the returns. Unfortunately, it's all of that talk that is likely to impede their access to the returns, since it an reasonably be viewed as abuse of Congressional authority.

Their best bet at finding out anything about the things you mention is the impeachment process since that would provide them with a broad subpoena power, but brings its own perils with it.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 AM

5,511 posts, read 2,812,559 times
Quote:
You're really hung up on others taxes aren't you? Shame you don't understand any of it except the cliche drivel that's put out to stoke class warfare.
Well, no. I mean, if we're going to talk taxes, then let's talk taxes for everyone, panhandlers and CEOs alike. But I'm not the one hung up on panhandlers not paying their taxes. That seems to be everyone else's bugaboo.

I just know I paid my taxes fair and square and some of those big corporations hide their money so they don't have to pay their fair share of taxes and get tax cuts at the same time. That's not cliche drivel, those are facts. And the tax the panhandlers don't pay on their "income" is like a drop in the bucket compared to big business. So much for class warfare.

Let me put it this way: when was the last time you saw a panhandler register his yacht out of the country so he wouldn't have to pay taxes on it?

Edited to add: OK, let's go one further. When I worked at the local bank here, there was a landscaper who would come in with checks his customers wrote him and he would cash them instead of depositing them. Now, if you have a registered business account, customers are supposed to make checks out to you in the name of the business and you are supposed to deposit those in your business account. If a business owner comes into the bank and wants to cash a check made out to, say, Don's Dry Cleaning, as tellers, we couldn't legally cash those checks. Those checks were supposed to go into Don's Dry Cleaning account so at the end of the year (or quarterly), Don would pay his taxes based on what he declared for income, which could be backed up with his books.

So this landscaper ran a little scheme. He'd tell his customers to make the checks out to him personally and he'd cut a certain percentage off the price. Then he comes into our bank maybe twice a week and cashes out $5000 at a time of "personal" checks. That's $10,000 a week that doesn't go into his account to be declared as income. That brings his taxes way down.

Then, he pays his workers (illegal) under the table and no, they're not paying taxes either.

My manager knew what was going on. The landscaping customers had to know what was going on. But nobody cared. So yeah, when people complain because a panhandler might be making $24,000 a year in cash and doesn't pay taxes on that, do you see why I wouldn't bother to get all wound up about that compared to the other swindles I see businesses do on a daily basis for hundreds of thousands of dollars more?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 08-07-2019 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 10:05 AM

7,194 posts, read 1,837,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Who said panhandlers are ditching their jobs? Maybe it's a second job for them.
I used to run a sales business in Texas. There was a guy who was working in the Utah office and wanted to relocate to my office in Texas. I agreed and he said he needed to hustle up some money and would out in Texas in a few days. He showed up on a Greyhound bus a few days later. I found out what hustling up some money actually meant.

He would get a used bus ticket from somewhere else then go to one of the big home improvement stores and stand out in front. He would tell people he worked for a contractor in town for two weeks and got stiffed because the contractor split town. He said he needed $100 to get a bus ticket back to Texas or wherever to where his wife and 4 kids were located. He would show them the bus ticket. Easy to find used bus tickets at the bus station. Some people would give him $100 other $5 or $10 bucks. He could make a few hundred bucks pretty quickly. He said he traveled around the country for a year this way. He went to home improvement places because the people had money and would sympathize with construction workers.

Just for the record he did not have a wife and 4 kids.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:08 AM

344 posts, read 293,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, no. I mean, if we're going to talk taxes, then let's talk taxes for everyone, panhandlers and CEOs alike. But I'm not the one hung up on panhandlers not paying their taxes. That seems to be everyone else's bugaboo.

That's no one's bugaboo, you're the one who brought up taxes. You asked "what's the difference between a toll-booth attendant and a panhandler" and the difference was explained to you. One of those serves as part of the productive economy, and the other one is a parasitic function that exploits the kindness & ignorance of strangers in a fraudulent way.

Question asked, question answered. Although it seems like you're ignoring it on purpose and trying your best to initiate an argument for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or