U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,782,952 times

Advertisements

If you want want a low wages for people to work for then you have no right to complain that people panhandle when doing so pays better then getting a job. You can not have it both ways. Pay people low wages then expect people to find other ways to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 PM

674 posts, read 322,053 times
Last person who asked me for "gas money" had a better car than I did. . . . I just laughed. And the ones I drive by every morning have iphones and smoke cigarettes. Not sure of their story . . .

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

8,012 posts, read 9,809,925 times
Ok, my comment is on the panhandling side of this thread.....

How do we think this "industry" is going to survive a cashless society? I have occasionally dropped some change or a few bills into the hands of a panhandler. Mostly did it, so they would stop bothering me. But anyway, I no longer carry cash, and rarely have change. My response now is always (and no longer a lie), "Sorry, don't have any cash".

As a society, as we become more and more cash-free, I don't see this "occupation" surviving.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,142 posts, read 54,995,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Ok, my comment is on the panhandling side of this thread.....

How do we think this "industry" is going to survive a cashless society? I have occasionally dropped some change or a few bills into the hands of a panhandler. Mostly did it, so they would stop bothering me. But anyway, I no longer carry cash, and rarely have change. My response now is always (and no longer a lie), "Sorry, don't have any cash".

As a society, as we become more and more cash-free, I don't see this "occupation" surviving.
That's good point. I normally just ignore the panhandlers but if forced to respond I could say "No Cash" and it would be true, I never carry any. It would not totally surprise me, however, if some of the Seattle panhandlers started to accept debit cards on their iPhones.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

5,781 posts, read 1,558,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Because panhandlers know there's a certain segment of society who are idiots and will give the panhandlers money.
They are some of the best salesmen around.

Old Today, 09:22 AM

4,557 posts, read 2,924,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's good point. I normally just ignore the panhandlers but if forced to respond I could say "No Cash" and it would be true, I never carry any. It would not totally surprise me, however, if some of the Seattle panhandlers started to accept debit cards on their iPhones.
If I don't want to deal with panhandlers, I've already been using that excuse, whether if it's true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or