U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 PM

9,055 posts, read 8,261,322 times

Advertisements

When building homes, builders first have to take into consideration 3 things.

#1....Cost of the lot, prepared and ready to build, fully developed including street improvements, plus cost of having all utilities ready to hook up to. In some areas of the country, it will be a low cost, and some areas such as the silicon valley it will commonly be $1,000 to over two million for the lot.

#2....The potential buyer and their income and maximum amount of loan they can qualify for.

#3....What other builders are building in similar nearby locations, and price they are selling homes for. As typical buyers will be buying the best home they can qualify to buy, this fact alone will place a limit on the quality of home, that builders can build and sell in that particular neighborhood.

If you want a better quality home, you will have to buy a lot, and have a builder build the quality of home you desire as your dream home.

Unfortunately, most people cannot afford to do this, as what they want and they dream of owning, are far above their financial ability to pay for.

Don't blame builders for the home you want not being built. Accept the fact, they are building the best home their buyers can qualify for to get financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 AM

13,504 posts, read 18,069,089 times
Builders are running a business not a charity. They put on the market what is in demand and sells. You want a BMW do not buy a Focus and blame it on the car dealer.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 AM

6,646 posts, read 8,234,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
In the market for a house and checked out of curiousity some mega builders. Wow such junk and a lot of it close to 500k+!! And people are buying it. The quality is trash. Not sure how anyone can go with any of these builders such as Pulte, Toll Brothers, Ryan Homeís, etc. whatís funny is that they all have terrible reviews and people still flock to them... makes me scratch my head. Anyone notice this as well?
Come on now, but they are all meeting more green standards now. Price of being green, you can pay it they tell me too. Saw a story quoting nearly $70k to typical new home cost. We ignore the cost we all pay for greener ideas. It damn sure better be real or someone has a lot to answer for. LOL

I agree with you OP. home costs are out of control high. New homes have features we are told we want by the industry today as in the past but we have enough homes already just bnot in the right places I suppose.

A stick built home has a process full of old tech. Manufactered homes are the future, these are not trailers these are home built to tight quality standards in a plant then shipped to the lot and assembled. Transporation cost is the barrier so they only make sense in a large metro area not smaller towns

I have noticed it as well OP and these are my thoughts on some of the whys

Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM

17,616 posts, read 19,858,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It depends on the builder and the community. I mostly agree, but the quality we got from Lennar at our new house is incredible and itís probably because itís one of their top communities in the city, so itís supposed to be luxury housing. The house is way above code in insulation and building materials and it shows. Itís extremely quiet. The finishes we selected for the most part and I spent the money to get the quality I want. The appliances are incredible, a double wide 72Ē fridge thatís the nicest Iíve seen in any home we looked at. They used Lennox for AC and between them and Trane, itís a toss up for who is best. They actually only promised Carrier and apparently decided they needed something better.
What do you think the difference in quality would be between Lennar and Ryan?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 20 days ago)

5,917 posts, read 6,113,410 times
I suspect often there isn’t much difference between builders but more between communities. For instance, Lennar has maybe 10 communities let’s say (I know Pardee does) in the Las Vegas area, all budget ranges. They are going to send their best contractors and their best sales people and their best teams to the highest end communities. Their starter homes are going to get the relative least experienced of all workers. Those people aren’t paying a premium for a house and have lower standards; they have no choice but to have lower standards because they’re not coming with enough money to demand more.

At the luxury home communities, there’s more pressure on the builders to use their best architect, offer the highest build quality, and the best appliances and customer service because those buyers have other options. I don’t think it’s true at all that people buy the best home they can afford in every case. People have a checklist of what they want and need and often are happy if they find a house cheaper than budget that checks those boxes. I had an original budget around $1.2 to $1.4 million, but I knew it would be a stretch for me, and put me in a financial position that may be tight for 1-3 years. I ended up finding a house for $733,000 that was legitimately superior to the $1M+ houses I had seen the last 18 months. It was maybe 10% smaller than most houses I had seen but those houses, 95% of the time, had non-functioning layouts for me. The added space went to breakfast nooks or a large master or way too big living room, all completely wasted space for people with no hobbies but who just want to show off. I didn’t buy the most expensive house I could afford, but I did buy the best. I got a view I didn’t find in any houses that were nearly twice the price, I got Modern which was nearly impossible to find, I got my choice of finishes.

I will say the Vegas market is a bizarre one. I swear we found better houses in the $700-900K range than the $1.5M range. The ones in the upper range were dated and old, I wouldn’t trade my house straight across for any of them lol.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM

1,309 posts, read 759,472 times
Yes most of them are generic looking on the inside. Nice on the out, but bland on the inside. They all have the same "open concept" crap too and the houses are like 5 feet apart.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:04 PM

2,534 posts, read 898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Don't blame builders for the home you want not being built. Accept the fact, they are building the best home their buyers can qualify for to get financing.
My late husband and I downsized in 2015 from a McMansion. He was 77, I was 62. We wanted at least 2 bedrooms on the main floor (stairs were getting difficult for DH and occasionally when he couldn't sleep because health issues were acting up he'd head upstairs to the spare BR with the desktop computer- which was risky). We didn't want living on 3 floors, 4 bathrooms, and more space to clean. We couldn't find it in new construction. There were just more McMansions, many with only the master bedroom on the main floor and the rest upstairs, too many bathrooms, spaces we didn't need. They don't build 3-bedroom, 2-bath ranches anymore except maybe townhomes and adult communities, and we didn't want to share a wall.

There's no money in building homes with a small footprint so they go for maximum square footage. At some point there will be a glut of them. DH and I found a 20-year old house, an architect's original, a little bigger than we wanted but the extra space comes in handy when DS and family visit. And I don't have to clean 4 bathrooms!

Old 08-22-2019, 12:15 AM

10,877 posts, read 10,371,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My late husband and I downsized in 2015 from a McMansion. He was 77, I was 62. We wanted at least 2 bedrooms on the main floor (stairs were getting difficult for DH and occasionally when he couldn't sleep because health issues were acting up he'd head upstairs to the spare BR with the desktop computer- which was risky). We didn't want living on 3 floors, 4 bathrooms, and more space to clean. We couldn't find it in new construction. There were just more McMansions, many with only the master bedroom on the main floor and the rest upstairs, too many bathrooms, spaces we didn't need. They don't build 3-bedroom, 2-bath ranches anymore except maybe townhomes and adult communities, and we didn't want to share a wall.

There's no money in building homes with a small footprint so they go for maximum square footage. At some point there will be a glut of them. DH and I found a 20-year old house, an architect's original, a little bigger than we wanted but the extra space comes in handy when DS and family visit. And I don't have to clean 4 bathrooms!
Interesting. Our thirty year old home has master on main. In the two story segment in our area thatís probably the most popular choice. We still have some original owners who are now seniors and itís evenly split - those who sell and downsize to one story and those who stay because the master is on main. I can tell you at the moment weíre digging the kids upstairs

As for baths well I admit that I will always desire at least 3.5.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 AM

18,825 posts, read 20,788,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
In the market for a house and checked out of curiousity some mega builders. Wow such junk and a lot of it close to 500k+!! And people are buying it. The quality is trash. Not sure how anyone can go with any of these builders such as Pulte, Toll Brothers, Ryan Home’s, etc. what’s funny is that they all have terrible reviews and people still flock to them... makes me scratch my head. Anyone notice this as well?
Just remember

EVERYTHING built on a basic entry level tract type housing is builder grade. I used to do a lot of tract housing. A lot of those guys get paid piece work. That’s like flag pay for mechanics. You get paid x money for doing y amount.
Trades don’t give a hoot about each other and the builder backcharges everyone.
Most guys that were tradesmen left the trades back in 2009-2013/14. The guys hired today have very little training and knowledge. Unfortunately that sometranslates in shoddy quality.
The inspectors simply don’t have time to look at everything in a housing tract.

There are differences between builders. Lennar and KB....depends on the price point. They do build some decent homes but not at the entry level

You couldn’t get me to buy a new house today unless I was building it

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-22-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 20 days ago)

5,917 posts, read 6,113,410 times
Yeah I’ve heard some buyers complain about Lennar but they were buying entry level houses. You’re not going to get anything good for that. I actually had a negative bias against them too just because that’s how I think of all big builders, they’re usually not as quality conscious. But I have to say at the higher end, they did a great job.

The biggest issue with discussing real estate on a nationwide forum is some terms don’t really have any meaning in some markets. Like when you say “tract housing,” it’s supposed to be some sort of insult, I guess, in parts of the country. All real estate in Las Vegas is bought by the builders - individuals don’t really have any option to buy land. It’s a desert and surrounding land is controlled by the BLM. Nevada is the most federally owned state. There’s no such thing as NOT tract housing, unless you mean buying a tract and hiring your own architect which some communities let you do - like maybe 2 or 3 Valley-wide. Those houses literally cost $4-5M at least. That’s not top 1%, that’s top 0.1%. Everyone else even very wealthy people are building on a tract with a floor plan selection from the builder. The best ones will give you options but there aren’t that many options about the structure itself, more the interior finishes.

I was picky about the actual build quality as far as what insulation is put in? What’s the wall thickness? When I knew it was way above code insulation and 2x6 construction, and I could choose my finishes, and I have a perfect view of the Strip and mountains, I don’t care what else the builder does I can upgrade it. I upgraded the garage to epoxy flooring, upgraded lighting in 5 rooms of the house and every light will be a smart switch, upgrading HVAC, upgraded interior paint, upgraded shower door, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or