U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 734,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What's the big deal of buying a pre-1975 home anyway! How much to put in all new electric and water lines? And then you have a home you can trust and feel secure in!
Wouldn't that mean tearing out everything down to the studs so you can re-wire and re-plumb the house? That's quite an expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,246,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wouldn't that mean tearing out everything down to the studs so you can re-wire and re-plumb the house? That's quite an expense.
I donít think you need to go that far.

Electrical= fishing line
Plumbing= depends on your foundation

Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 AM

5,751 posts, read 3,742,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I donít think you need to go that far.

Electrical= fishing line
Plumbing= depends on your foundation
Still expensive. At $80-$100/hr adds up fast as fishing takes a lot longer than new construction.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:42 AM

1,842 posts, read 2,005,206 times
This thread makes a great case for buying pre-existing, infill housing, which you should be doing anyway.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 28 days ago)

5,948 posts, read 6,134,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The neighborhood I live in was built in 2004 by a local builder. Most of the homes are large, beautiful all brick. But they put the prefab acrylic tubs and showers in both the guest and master baths! Admittedly, these units are not AS cheapie as some of the lower end products, but still...... It surprises me when I see homes go on the market in my neighborhood that so few people have taken the step to upgrade even the master shower to tile. I have only been in my house about 2 years and have been chipping away at doing repairs and upgrades....the master shower is my next project.
Hmm. Yeah you do make me think that if I stay in my house for a long time, I may just spend more money on upgrades versus moving again. The house is beautiful and well done, and we have already put a ton into upgrades, I did add a glass shower door to the only one of the four bathrooms without, but the master shower just isnít as nice as it could be. Itís huge, it has double doors, but it has no place build in to put anything, or sit, and isnít tile, doesnít have two shower heads. I would say that should be on the list of future upgrades. The thing that makes me want to upgrade the house going forward is it has a perfect, unobstructed view thatís just rare and desirable. The area and neighborhood is the best in the city. I think the upgrades will pay off not only in happiness but in creating a special house that feels custom even though it was a builder plan.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

17,677 posts, read 21,561,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
New house for sale: $250K. Solid 1970's home for sale: $150k. Even to hit $200k, it would cost more than $50k to re-do plumbing and electric?

My old 1939 home in Phoenix needed a new water line going from the house to the alley. $600! That was 1994! B-i-g Deal!

And the nice thing about my 1939 home was the garage was in the back of the house and I had a 6X20 foot porch in front of my house. Get those houses with the big 2-3-4 car garages in front of the house out of my face!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or