U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 5,992 times

Advertisements

In the market for a house and checked out of curiousity some mega builders. Wow such junk and a lot of it close to 500k+!! And people are buying it. The quality is trash. Not sure how anyone can go with any of these builders such as Pulte, Toll Brothers, Ryan Home’s, etc. what’s funny is that they all have terrible reviews and people still flock to them... makes me scratch my head. Anyone notice this as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 PM

12 posts, read 4,627 times
Don’t forget DR Horton

Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 AM

1,215 posts, read 339,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
In the market for a house and checked out of curiousity some mega builders. Wow such junk and a lot of it close to 500k+!! And people are buying it. The quality is trash. Not sure how anyone can go with any of these builders such as Pulte, Toll Brothers, Ryan Home’s, etc. what’s funny is that they all have terrible reviews and people still flock to them... makes me scratch my head. Anyone notice this as well?

Sometimes the land is the biggest driver of the cost.
In hot markets, the construction crew might consist of a bunch of day laborers. Buy a house in a hot market and you might hear on the job site (in Spanish):
  • The buyer will never know
  • That's good enough
  • No more 6 gauge? Use 8 gauge
  • just hit it harder
  • can you make it fit?
  • it's supposed to be bent like that, right?
  • Ya, I'll have another beer. When are we taking lunch break?
  • It's only a little crack
  • Just tape it

All homes are cookie cutter unless it is spec or customer. Just because it was built in 1951 or 1963 doesn't mean it isn't cookie cutter.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 AM

93 posts, read 23,585 times
Lmao That^^^^^^^^ times 100.

Your options are then to either have a custom built home, or purchase an older home and have it custom remodel done. All cost big $$$

Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 AM

2,402 posts, read 840,519 times
When DH and I were downsizing we looked at new construction. I remember one place that had all the glitzy stuff in the kitchen- island, quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances. The guest bathroom was built with a crummy pre-fab plastic tub and shower enclosure.

No, thanks.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 AM

319 posts, read 55,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
They are not building homes onsite. They are ASSEMBLING homes that have already been pre-built at a factory. You don't need much "experience" if there is a good project manager onsite to supervise.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 7,818,150 times
When I was living in Orange County, CA (up until late 2017), I lived near several new high end, large housing tracts that were under construction. Most were single family homes (SFH) in high density neighborhoods. The lots were narrow (45 or 50 feet) and there was maybe 10 feet of separation between the homes. Most were 2 story, and some had a partial third story. Many roof trusses were pre-assembled and arrived on trucks, but when I watched the framing crews, it was stick by stick. It is possible that the framing was pre-measured and pre-cut to reduce on site work. Also it looked like the window & door frames were pre-made.

The selling price of those big stucco boxes was usually upwards of $800K. There was a huge amount of money spent by developers to get the area graded because the terrain was previously very uneven and somewhat hilly. There was an army of scrapers, dozers and graders working for over 6 months before the first crew showed up to start prep work for concrete slab foundations.

I'm sure there were flaws in the building process, but lots of times the flaws are not discovered until years later, long after the builder has sold off all the homes. OSB, stucco and drywall do one thing really well, and that is to cover up everything underneath.

At present I am living in a 4 story walk up apartment building in Germany built in the 1890s, but recently modernized with insulated windows, excellent hot water wall heating and top quality kitchen / bath fixtures. The exterior walls are about 18" thick masonry, and all the interior walls are also thick masonry. The best thing about thick masonry walls is no noise from neighboring apartments, which is something I always dreaded with apartment living in the US. This old apartment building will probably be here for many generations longer than the new stucco boxes I saw built in Orange County.

Last edited by recycled; 08-09-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 01:20 AM

988 posts, read 1,536,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Sometimes the land is the biggest driver of the cost.
In hot markets, the construction crew might consist of a bunch of day laborers. Buy a house in a hot market and you might hear on the job site (in Spanish):
  • The buyer will never know
  • That's good enough
  • No more 6 gauge? Use 8 gauge
  • just hit it harder
  • can you make it fit?
  • it's supposed to be bent like that, right?
  • Ya, I'll have another beer. When are we taking lunch break?
  • It's only a little crack
  • Just tape it

All homes are cookie cutter unless it is spec or customer. Just because it was built in 1951 or 1963 doesn't mean it isn't cookie cutter.

You'll also learn what "builder grade" means when it comes to HVAC, hot water heaters, etc.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:38 AM

32,313 posts, read 36,982,744 times
Try to stick with a family builder not the big Corporate builders.

At least the family builders try to keep their reputation and quality. That's becoming rare.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:55 PM

16,623 posts, read 16,765,155 times
Cheaply built, shoddy junk..............to be expected, at least by me.

No too shocking.............there is actually a company that "remodels" bathrooms by putting new
plastic coverings over the old, worn-out fixtures. And yes, you can read page after page of
horrible reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or