U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,981 posts, read 64,085,040 times
Reputation: 31517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's a good point.

No question, speaking in broad terms, we have a labor force, supply, that is generally underprepared/undereducated relative to demand.
On the other hand, I talked to our company's recruiter yesterday and he said he has not been unable to fill any position except one (Civil Engineer). However we do not use much trades labor and I know our subcontractors have declined jobs because of a lack of manpower. Others stupidly took jobs they could not staff and may or did go out of business because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
 
7,069 posts, read 3,204,901 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the problem. People didn't learn a darned thing from the last recession. They went right back to their spending every penny they have, going deeper into debt ways. I bet people now do not have any more money in the bank than they did in 2008.


I already see signs of companies pulling their horns in and cutting back on staff and inventory. Plus, Trump's programs have not been exactly productive or encouraging.


Everything is cyclical and we will see another downturn at some point, I just hope it isn't what we saw 11 years ago.
This is in part due to massive wage stagnation. How do you save when you are making peanuts?

Maybe we should have a thread on how to show up to your mcjob when you are starving to death because you are investing to get ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
 
7,069 posts, read 3,204,901 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Which means that people need to get off their lazy asses and step up their game to fill all those jobs that are just waiting for them.
Maybe if employers started accepting things like Edx degrees or other non-traditional ways of gaining education we would be off to the races but people are seeing the 20-100k in debt degree holding starbucks workers and its not sitting well with them (nor should it).

Maybe make secondary education like a utility and price fix it so that you can only charge X$ per credit depending on what teir of school you are for a given program but never to exceed what a student can make at a summer mcjob.

Cost of training and education is a big big problem. The market wont get away with degreed engineers working mcjobs without blow back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:29 AM
 
26,637 posts, read 33,681,446 times
Reputation: 33556
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the problem. People didn't learn a darned thing from the last recession. They went right back to their spending every penny they have, going deeper into debt ways. I bet people now do not have any more money in the bank than they did in 2008.

Nonsense. I have FAR more in the bank now than I did then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:19 AM
 
9,179 posts, read 4,095,848 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nonsense. I have FAR more in the bank now than I did then.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DPSACBW027SBOG

Of course some of that is excess bank reserves. And not just individuals' savings.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/EXCSRESNS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:07 AM
 
8,684 posts, read 9,402,486 times
Reputation: 7090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Maybe if employers started accepting things like Edx degrees or other non-traditional ways of gaining education we would be off to the races but people are seeing the 20-100k in debt degree holding starbucks workers and its not sitting well with them (nor should it).

Maybe make secondary education like a utility and price fix it so that you can only charge X$ per credit depending on what teir of school you are for a given program but never to exceed what a student can make at a summer mcjob.

Cost of training and education is a big big problem. The market wont get away with degreed engineers working mcjobs without blow back.
How many degreed engineers do you know who work mcjobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:23 AM
 
8,684 posts, read 9,402,486 times
Reputation: 7090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
On the other hand, I talked to our company's recruiter yesterday and he said he has not been unable to fill any position except one (Civil Engineer). However we do not use much trades labor and I know our subcontractors have declined jobs because of a lack of manpower. Others stupidly took jobs they could not staff and may or did go out of business because of it.
My wife is CIO over fairly large captive IT department with US and European reach plus a tiny group in Australia. For her the dearth of talent is very real in The US and Europe presenting a constant struggle to find and especially keep CS, engineering and programming talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:41 AM
 
7,069 posts, read 3,204,901 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
How many degreed engineers do you know who work mcjobs?
I did it for a couple of months after an oil and gas lay off, but it should have never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:27 PM
 
8,684 posts, read 9,402,486 times
Reputation: 7090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I did it for a couple of months after an oil and gas lay off, but it should have never happened.
A couple of months does not make your point on any level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top