U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:37 PM

24,376 posts, read 30,506,997 times

Advertisements

i just bought a ton of cat food. i wanted to load up just in case i cant afford it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 638,796 times
I've always wondered how much of the incorrect economic posting here is a result of being economically illiterate, how much is political trolling, and how much is just IQ-challenged posters.

It's a toss-up.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:26 PM

4,821 posts, read 12,032,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've always wondered how much of the incorrect economic posting here is a result of being economically illiterate, how much is political trolling, and how much is just IQ-challenged posters.

It's a toss-up.
A LOT....with the least of the 3 being political trolling.

I am looking forward to coming back to this thread in 3 years.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:16 PM

17,489 posts, read 19,748,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I am looking forward to coming back to this thread in 3 years.
Most likely, it will be a long forgotten by then.

And there will be a whole new set of fresh apocalyptic predictions. LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most likely, it will be a long forgotten by then.

And there will be a whole new set of fresh apocalyptic predictions. LOL
that is how it goes. good luck trying to get these prognosticators to divulge their investment returns. you figure they should be able to beat the s&p but i dont think any of them have posted evidence of that so far.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 1,067,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is how it goes. good luck trying to get these prognosticators to divulge their investment returns. you figure they should be able to beat the s&p but i dont think any of them have posted evidence of that so far.
I no longer keep up with ror, but we are in the top 1% in both income and net worth, so I must have done something right (and this was starting from nothing).

Old 08-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I no longer keep up with ror, but we are in the top 1% in both income and net worth, so I must have done something right (and this was starting from nothing).
first, i wasnt really referring to you but i guess you self selected since you figure you qualify as someone i would call a doom and gloomer that shows up when markets are performing poorly. so i guess i was referring to you, thanks for noticing.

second, congratulations on your income and net worth. thats great!

third, still we are discussing investments here and investment commentary so i like to know the performance of people who do things like try to sell before a downturn (and id imagine those people are trying to buy before the bounce) and compare it to the indexes. its just interesting and i hope they outperform but i feel that is likely not what happens.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM

2,653 posts, read 1,067,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
first, i wasnt really referring to you but i guess you self selected since you figure you qualify as someone i would call a doom and gloomer that shows up when markets are performing poorly. so i guess i was referring to you, thanks for noticing.

second, congratulations on your income and net worth. thats great!

third, still we are discussing investments here and investment commentary so i like to know the performance of people who do things like try to sell before a downturn (and id imagine those people are trying to buy before the bounce) and compare it to the indexes. its just interesting and i hope they outperform but i feel that is likely not what happens.
I repeat -

It's unfortunate that people can't post their ideas and thoughts without critical comments like this and let other readers decide their merit. It's constructive to hear different viewpoints.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:06 PM

12,469 posts, read 18,563,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

It's a toss-up.
I've used to tell people, when they brought up economic issues in other forums in CityData "go the the economics forum in CD and ask your question, lots of smart people there".....no more. This place is as bad as the P&C or Prepper section of CD forum now. Maybe it's just a larger sign of the degradation of social media into extremism. Very sad, people cannot learn much or get much useful investing advice from this forum anymore.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:15 PM

4,821 posts, read 12,032,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I repeat -

It's unfortunate that people can't post their ideas and thoughts without critical comments like this and let other readers decide their merit. It's constructive to hear different viewpoints.
I don't find it constructive to read SWFL posts....ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics