U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 04:18 PM

17,489 posts, read 19,748,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Very sad, people cannot learn much or get much useful investing advice from this forum anymore.
For the vast majority of people, there generally isn't much good investing advice other than to buy an S&P 500 ETF and keep adding to it for decades.

Very few people will ever beat or outsmart the market over the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 04:34 PM

8,985 posts, read 3,999,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've always wondered how much of the incorrect economic posting here is a result of being economically illiterate, how much is political trolling, and how much is just IQ-challenged posters.

It's a toss-up.
Political bias is a biggie. I was on a conservative leaning forum before 2008, and there was no way to convince that tribe of the real impending doom.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 PM
gg

18,026 posts, read 18,396,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Bad very bad... think much wider and deeper than 2008.
lol Last I checked we don't have a huge housing bubble.

Things are going quite well now and I suspect they will continue to do well. We are on a 150 year run. Enjoy it!

Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 5,611 times
Worse.

We learned nothing from the last recession and have relaxed many rules to prevent things from going badly again. All the signs are there. Consumer debt, student loans, auto loans default rates, rising deficits & now we have jingoistic posturing being masked as patriotism around the world. With interest rates so low the fed does not have as many triggers it once did to stimulate the economy.

We are much more dependent on each other for trade, energy, food etc vs 10 years ago and the only losers will be the already disadvantaged and those just starting a climb up the economic ladder. While those of us who are well off or have a secure nest egg to weather the storm may not see the pain our kids certainly will.

This one concerns me more as farm debt and profitability is a real concern for us all. The small american farmer may get pushed under and larger corp agro businesses will come to the fore. Like the quiet consolidation of water company resources in the USA no one is noticing. Having all this land in corporate hands is not in the best interest of the american consumer.

In addition those still fortunate to have defined pension plans from a company may find themselves out of luck as the rules on pension funding may see companies unable to come up with the cash to meet minimum funding requirements as the stock market tanks , dividends dry up etc. The federal pension guarantee program is always at risk and always underfunded.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 PM

7,580 posts, read 3,118,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It looks like the party is over and we are about to have a recession. Do you think this will be as bad as 2008? Will it be worse?

I'm currently stuck in a dead end call center job in a town I hate and was planning on moving in a few months to a larger city in hopes of finding a better job and better life, but now I'm having second thoughts.
The Russians didn't work out for you, so now you people are hoping for a new reason to defeat our Glorious President!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:52 PM

1,154 posts, read 844,728 times
The only thing I am certain of is a certain faction will blame Trump..

Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 PM

24,376 posts, read 30,506,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I repeat -

It's unfortunate that people can't post their ideas and thoughts without critical comments like this and let other readers decide their merit. It's constructive to hear different viewpoints.
critical comments are a part of what makes it constructive.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 PM

18,690 posts, read 20,562,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the problem. People didn't learn a darned thing from the last recession. They went right back to their spending every penny they have, going deeper into debt ways. I bet people now do not have any more money in the bank than they did in 2008.

I already see signs of companies pulling their horns in and cutting back on staff and inventory. Plus, Trump's programs have not been exactly productive or encouraging.

Everything is cyclical and we will see another downturn at some point, I just hope it isn't what we saw 11 years ago.

Oh god I hope it happens. Then all those people who are waiting for the economy to fail can finally buy all those houses they were “waiting to buy until the market dumps” so they can start their real estate empire.
And the other half who will FINALLY be right and say “I told you so” to everyone else left.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 PM

8,985 posts, read 3,999,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
[/b]

Oh god I hope it happens. Then all those people who are waiting for the economy to fail can finally buy all those houses they were “waiting to buy until the market dumps” so they can start their real estate empire.
And the other half who will FINALLY be right and say “I told you so” to everyone else left.
That is so, like 2008! lol

Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 PM

30,358 posts, read 47,645,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Maybe I should take back that "financial contagion" statement...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ba...ers-2019-08-14
Banks will just raise their rates—
They might not lend to small businesses or certain clients but do you really think they will pull credit cards out of anyone’s hand that can send in a monthly payment???
Who had credit cards cancelled even if they lost their house the last time??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics