U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 PM

7,759 posts, read 18,760,611 times

Advertisements

Much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 PM

11,305 posts, read 8,691,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
The only thing I am certain of is a certain faction will blame Trump..
Haven't the trade war and his constant tweeting about the Fed has some part in all of this? What about the farmers and the government having to create farmer welfare to offset the trade war?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 294,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Haven't the trade war and his constant tweeting about the Fed has some part in all of this? What about the farmers and the government having to create farmer welfare to offset the trade war?
Farm subsidies aren't new and weren't created under Trump.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,681,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It looks like the party is over and we are about to have a recession. Do you think this will be as bad as 2008? Will it be worse?

I'm currently stuck in a dead end call center job in a town I hate and was planning on moving in a few months to a larger city in hopes of finding a better job and better life, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Yes bawac, i remember.

Stay put til it gets sorted out later on.

If i were you, I'd also take a part time job to stash cash.

Its going to get very nasty I'm afraid.

Best of continued luck and hope you fibd SONE happiness, even if only for tye little things.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:08 AM

6,699 posts, read 10,755,329 times
Latest from Atlanta Fed: the GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the third quarter of 2019 is 2.2 percent on August 15, up from 1.9 percent on August 8.

See that Atlanta Fed website for more details.

We can argue about the validity of government statistics and/or the meaningfulness of week-to-week and quarter-to-quarter numbers, but it appears that growth is accelerating from the second quarter slowdown.

To be sure, the economy has not been running on all cylinders in more than a decade, but it may not fall into official recession either.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,067,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Latest from Atlanta Fed: the GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the third quarter of 2019 is 2.2 percent on August 15, up from 1.9 percent on August 8.

See that Atlanta Fed website for more details.

We can argue about the validity of government statistics and/or the meaningfulness of week-to-week and quarter-to-quarter numbers, but it appears that growth is accelerating from the second quarter slowdown.

To be sure, the economy has not been running on all cylinders in more than a decade, but it may not fall into official recession either.

Death, taxes, and economic cycles are for sure. Whether it's 6 months from now or 5 years from now, we WILL have another recession.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

17,491 posts, read 19,748,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Death, taxes, and economic cycles are for sure. Whether it's 6 months from now or 5 years from now, we WILL have another recession.
It is a totally different thing to say there will be a recession six months from now as opposed to five years from now.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM

12,768 posts, read 10,089,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, you would say that just because you saw two birds in a tree.

You're all wrong.

Recessions never "just happen." There's always a causal factor.

The stock market is not now, nor has it ever been, nor could it ever be a factor and none of you could ever prove it is a factor so you can all put that silly nonsense out of your minds now.

Recessions happen because economic growth stops. Not only does expansion stop, it actually contracts.

The contraction is what results in negative GDP growth, rather than positive GDP growth. When the economy contracts for two consecutive fiscal quarters, we call that a "recession."

If an economy ceases to expand, it's because there is a bar to growth.

One such bar to growth is high interest rates.

All businesses borrow money to operate. All business have borrowed money to operate since the very first business opened in Mesopotamia 11,000 years ago.
Uh, I'm pretty sure Dave Ramsey's business does not borrow money.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:12 AM

6,699 posts, read 10,755,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
For me personally, the economy swells up every time I inhale, and it goes into recession every time I exhale.

Cycles of breath are for sure.

Until they ain't.

In the meantime, another part of me trades the weekly, monthly and quarterly cycles, down and up, up and down, and makes money on it comin' and goin'.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM

8,472 posts, read 2,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Bad very bad... think much wider and deeper than 2008.
LOL. That's preposterous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics