Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Taxis are anonymous........uber/lyft are not.

Get a weird vibe, you can bail out of a taxi a block away from your house. U/L knows where you live!

Taxi people have no idea what your name is, U/L knows name/has pic.

I've been out with people that will purposely use different sources of rides just so it becomes a random pattern. Going out of town for a month, taxi leaving from the corner vs. their actual house then just U/L home.
I said "better for me" and I don't live my life in a state of paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 07:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

Get a weird vibe, you can bail out of a taxi a block away from your house. U/L knows where you live!

I've been out with people that will purposely use different sources of rides just so it becomes a random pattern. Going out of town for a month, taxi leaving from the corner vs. their actual house then just U/L home.

Works both ways - you know the driver's name and pic. Set your destination a few doors down from your own home. Driver doesn't have your home address. What pattern? I've never got the same driver twice.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The issue for Uber and lyft is they need critical mass to be profitable. To that you need driver coverage so you have to subsidize rate me until you build it up.
It’s ok. As soon as driverless cars are available watch all these drivers get kicked to the curb

Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
CEO was on CNBC and mentioned the break even/turn to profitability would come in 2022......so lose billions more before it makes any money. Tesla is doing the same shell game but at least they have a product.

It sure worked for Amazon. People who owned AMZN stock in 2012 when they were bleeding red ink were called fools. Of course the stockholders had the last laugh because that stock went up 10 times since then. Of course that doesn't mean UBER will have the same success.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:17 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s ok. As soon as driverless cars are available watch all these drivers get kicked to the curb

Well with the way legal litigation works in american once the autonomous cars start mowing down pedestrians the entire industry will be tied up in lawsuits.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That might be 30 or 40 years from now.

Show me the law that says any city, county or State must permit the use of driver-less vehicles.

We'll wait...

No one is morally, ethically or legally obligated to implement any technology that is developed.

If a city, county or State bans the use of, or limits or restricts the use of, driver-less vehicles, there ain't a goddam thing you or anyone else can do about it.

Some of the little-brains don't understand that cities and counties get revenues from taxi drivers in the form of licensing and personal income taxes.

Cities and counties could, of course, increase the annual licensing fee and also add a 20% surcharge to the taxi fare to make up for the loss in revenues.

Quote:
Well with the way legal litigation works in american once the autonomous cars start mowing down pedestrians the entire industry will be tied up in lawsuits.
And, every time that happens, a Plaintiff is likely to seek injunctive relief.

Injunctive relief would come in the form of an order from a judge temporarily banning the use of driver-less vehicles and a federal judge -- and the case would likely be filed in federal court under diversity of citizenship and damages exceeding $75,000 --- would have the authority to do that.

So, now what?

A city has no taxis until the TRO is lifted or the case is settled or a verdict is rendered.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:11 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:

I'm glad I live in a condo with a couple hundred units with a locked front door. U/L does not have my condo number. If the driver gets my condo number from my credit card info, more power to him/her.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:26 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
As well it should. Driverless cars have no business being on the roads -- the exist to make our corporate masters that much richer, and eliminate even more jobs.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:07 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Insurance....and big time investment in autonomous driving technology, as well.
I thought the drivers were supposed to buy primary insurance on their own.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
I thought the drivers were supposed to buy primary insurance on their own.

Uber has insurance when you are enroute or during a customer trip

https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/insurance/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics