U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

2,392 posts, read 561,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
12 trillion sounds overly optimistic, take freight shipping in his example, how many people really have a tractor trailer available that they can moonlight on the side driving freight for Uber? People utilizing there personal vehicles for passengers or take out movie deliveries is one thing, getting into freight delivery is quite another. Not to mention they have to compete against Lyft, it's not a virgin market with no competitors.
Competition does not factor into the TAM. TAM is only a first step in gauging profit potential or forecasting revenue growth. Obviously, Uber (or any company) will not be successful in capturing all of its total available market. It is further calculated to SAM (serviceable available market) and lastly, SOM (serviceable obtainable market) which is the portion of SAM which can be realistically targeted and captured short-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:08 AM

7,762 posts, read 3,048,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I wonder if Uber's insurance company vets every single Uber driver. If not, they must charge a pretty hefty premium to cover a bunch of unknown drivers with unknown driving habits in unknown vehicles carrying customers to unknown places at all hours of the day and night. I'd think insurance is contributing significantly to Uber's red ink.
Gee, they never thought of that...yes, Background check and clean driving record. Which is why the paranoia is comical, I’m the one with a newer model car that passed inspection, clean driving record and passed background check. Some guy wants me to drive him around because he can’t, and he is paranoid that I may know where he lives? How the hell else am I going to pick him up? Did he have to pass a background check to use the app as a rider? No, some unknown is getting into my car. I don’t even get the exact address, and some want to act all exasperated about the driver getting 3 feet from the exact location, without giving a house number....

Old Today, 06:21 AM

7,762 posts, read 3,048,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Anyone stupid enough to BECOME an Uber driver deserves the financial haircut they'll get. Just like those who buy into pyramid....I mean....MLM schemes.
Yes, I’m “stupid enough” to take PTO from my real job today, and make $35/hr driving, because of all of the events in my area going on. Laughing all the way to the bank, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or