U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 06:50 PM

19 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

I've always been wary about credit cards however I see now that I need it to increase my credit score. Is getting a PNC Bank Secured Credit Card online a good way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 270,990 times
IMO yes. It's a start to getting credit. Make sure you don't try to go over your limit and pay your bill each month on time.

Credit Karma is a good place to watch your credit score.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM

3,899 posts, read 1,862,585 times
Make sure it reports the good credit, some secured cards only report marks when you screw up, they don't report making payments on time...

Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 PM

7,486 posts, read 3,108,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I've always been wary about credit cards however I see now that I need it to increase my credit score. Is getting a PNC Bank Secured Credit Card online a good way to do this?
A credit card is just a tool like many other things. There are ways to use the tool safely and ways not to use it. Understand how the tool works and its limitations and you won't have to fear getting hurt. I only have a couple of ccs. If I use one to buy something (instead of paying cash/bank transfer/check) I always pay off the balance every month. If I don't have the money to pay off a card balance I had no business buying whatever it was in the first place. Start off using it conservatively, pay off the monthly balances, and don't believe that it supplies you with more money than you have in your bank account. That's how to get into trouble.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 340 times
People with bad spending habits put themselves at risk of serious financial trouble by getting a credit card. Studies have shown that people spend more with credit than with cash. If you already know you have a tendency to go overboard with spending, itís wiser to hold off on getting a credit card rather than get into debt troubles.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 270,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawsBross View Post
People with bad spending habits put themselves at risk of serious financial trouble by getting a credit card. Studies have shown that people spend more with credit than with cash. If you already know you have a tendency to go overboard with spending, itís wiser to hold off on getting a credit card rather than get into debt troubles.
OP states they will get a secured credit card. usually those are in the $500 range.

Old Today, 01:20 AM

7 posts
It's definitely a good way because if youíve been turned down because of your credit scores, the best way to increase it is to build credit using a secured credit card. They do help build credit in much the same way unsecured cards do.

Old Today, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,142 posts, read 54,995,333 times
Before doing that I would try a major retailer that offers credit cards, such as Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target or Walmart. When you are buying something such as a TV, Lawnmower, or refrigerator they are going to be more lenient in the credit because you are buying something from them.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

31,418 posts, read 13,854,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Before doing that I would try a major retailer that offers credit cards, such as Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target or Walmart. When you are buying something such as a TV, Lawnmower, or refrigerator they are going to be more lenient in the credit because you are buying something from them.
Good idea, I've been told that it's easy to get a credit card at Kohl's too.

Old Today, 07:25 AM

2,148 posts, read 632,044 times
Apply for a few store cards as well. Store cards have very low FICO requirements and are quicker to reward responsibility than a secured card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or