U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM

3,767 posts, read 962,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I cannot imagine how strong the weed is you're smoking to believe 600k household income is representative of the residents of that city.
If you're paying on a mortgage originated nearly 30 years ago on a sale price appraised before the dot-com boom, and enjoying the protections that Prop 13 grants on property tax relief - yes, you can get by on much, much less.

However, for a new resident buyer to purchase the same home today, despite lower interest rates, and property tax using the full, current tax value as its basis - you'd need equity from another home, cash savings, or have hella cash flow to close on a $1M+ property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM

6,760 posts, read 4,221,626 times
RePlanet, which ran hundreds of recycling center in California, including two in my area that I frequently used, closed them all last week. One of the major reasons cited was the rising cost of minimum wage. There were other factors, but having to pay employees more can't have helped. Many people are very upset that they no longer have a local center to take their cans and bottles in to for redemption, although of course we are all still paying the "CA Redemption Value" when we buy them.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/0...ion-at-stores/

Quote:
“With the...rise in operating costs resulting from minimum wage increases and required health and workers compensation insurance, the company has concluded that operation of these recycling centers and supporting operations is no longer sustainable,”

Old 08-14-2019, 03:52 PM

3,767 posts, read 962,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
RePlanet, which ran hundreds of recycling center in California, including two in my area that I frequently used, closed them all last week. One of the major reasons cited was the rising cost of minimum wage. There were other factors, but having to pay employees more can't have helped. Many people are very upset that they no longer have a local center to take their cans and bottles in to for redemption, although of course we are all still paying the "CA Redemption Value" when we buy them.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/0...ion-at-stores/
This is also a testament to the profitability and viability of recycling operations as a whole. High CoL areas are not kind to businesses operating a razor-thin margins, or with public-sector competitors.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 PM

14,134 posts, read 16,229,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those little local restaurants with just 3 or 10 employees are not going to make it on tech workers only, especially being in a more industrial area. They need the patronage from the service and retail industry workers to survive and those people cannot afford $15 salad. These are not "destination" restaurants, and the locals (Emeryville) only have a median family income of $69,000.

https://www.ci.emeryville.ca.us/70/Demographics
It's probably more like $90,000 now. Emeryville has drastically changed since 2007-2011 CSA. It's no Menlo Park. Plus it's a sandwich/salad shop. Panera Bread has decent salads for $10. Chez Panisse can charge whatever and the market will pay it, a tiny cafe like Patatas cannot. It's good, although I'd go with Cafe 817 in Oakland. I wouldn't go to either if they were charging $20 for a salad because unicorn tech workers.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 638,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They donít specify...there was a salad section and they were all $6. I have ordered a salad for dinner, always with chicken in it ( I donít do a salad with any other dish - thatís too much food) a few times here and there...Iíve never paid more than 8.95. And frankly I donít like paying THAT. Restaurant meals have become outrageously priced. Increasing the wages of the servers will only add to the closings.
Makes sense.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,681,535 times
The problem IS, in an area with people in tech, such as the area mentioned, and any area where the 'haves' balk at paying the 'have nots' a larger minimum wage or god forbid a "living wage" IS that they really RELY on thise minimum wagers!!!

The next time you 'haves' want to go out to eat, $5 $10 or $50 side salad or not, THINK what if there were NO RESTAURANTS for you to go eat at???

THINK the next time you go to buy GASOLINE...what if all gas stations closed because YOU 'Haves ' dont want to pay the clerk at the gas station a good wage??????

And the NEXT time you use a CLEAN PUBLIC RESTROOM THINK the person who CLEANED IT is ONLY making whatever minimum wage is in effect. ( BUT, since anyone can clean a public restroom, are you 'haves' actually willing to do it???? And if you oopsie in the public restroom, do you clean up after yourself, or just leave it because 'they have a person to do that"??

AND, lastly, BECAUSE you rely on the minimum wagers , the minimum wagers HAVE to be able to live SOMEWHERE, hopefully close to work. If YOU cannot afford to live close to work and live in an outlying area with a 2 hour commute, image that minimum wage person trying to live somewhere where the job is.

Our ENTIRE economy would literally grind to a halt if all the minimum wagers went on strike!!!
No gas stations
No fast food
No restaurants
No hotels
No retail stores
No grocery stores
No online order pickers
No online shippers
No cabbies
And the list goes on and on of people who make minimum or slightly above minimum wage.

And IF "anybody can do that job" is a mantra against minimum wage employment, WHY do so many places have a problem getting and keeping employees?

It reminds me, one retailer i worked for circulated humorous statements and poems on work:

One was;

"There was a job anyone could do, but everyone thought someone would do it, so no one did it and it didn't get done"

Another one was about "Special High Intensity Training " ( abbreviated SH*T for short!!) IT WENT something like this:

"'All employees here at XYZ Company will receive a lot of SH*T for their specific job. A whole ration of SH*T will be passed out to each employee. Just when you think we are done with SH*T, WE'LL be happy to dispense MORE SH*T. If you dont feel you've had enough SH*T, ask, we'll be happy to give you more SH*T, in fact all the SH*T you can handle!"

Think people before you downtread on minimum wage employees!!!

They deserve as much respect as a Doctor does. EVERYONE deserve Respect regardless of job!!!

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

24,055 posts, read 17,905,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just ate dinner at a very nice restaurant this weekend. Absolutely fine dining, one of the best in that area. Tab was $75 for me and son before tip, and that included one drink. 2 sides were included with entreeís (we had steaks) and some killer rolls. I did not order a salad, but the salads were $6.
That all depends on your location. That would be normal in my local area in small town Tennessee. It wouldn't go nearly as far in Nashville.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM

6,434 posts, read 2,735,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The problem IS, in an area with people in tech, such as the area mentioned, and any area where the 'haves' balk at paying the 'have nots' a larger minimum wage or god forbid a "living wage" IS that they really RELY on thise minimum wagers!!!

The next time you 'haves' want to go out to eat, $5 $10 or $50 side salad or not, THINK what if there were NO RESTAURANTS for you to go eat at???

THINK the next time you go to buy GASOLINE...what if all gas stations closed because YOU 'Haves ' dont want to pay the clerk at the gas station a good wage??????

And the NEXT time you use a CLEAN PUBLIC RESTROOM THINK the person who CLEANED IT is ONLY making whatever minimum wage is in effect. ( BUT, since anyone can clean a public restroom, are you 'haves' actually willing to do it???? And if you oopsie in the public restroom, do you clean up after yourself, or just leave it because 'they have a person to do that"??

AND, lastly, BECAUSE you rely on the minimum wagers , the minimum wagers HAVE to be able to live SOMEWHERE, hopefully close to work. If YOU cannot afford to live close to work and live in an outlying area with a 2 hour commute, image that minimum wage person trying to live somewhere where the job is.

Our ENTIRE economy would literally grind to a halt if all the minimum wagers went on strike!!!
No gas stations
No fast food
No restaurants
No hotels
No retail stores
No grocery stores
No online order pickers
No online shippers
No cabbies
And the list goes on and on of people who make minimum or slightly above minimum wage.

And IF "anybody can do that job" is a mantra against minimum wage employment, WHY do so many places have a problem getting and keeping employees?

It reminds me, one retailer i worked for circulated humorous statements and poems on work:

One was;

"There was a job anyone could do, but everyone thought someone would do it, so no one did it and it didn't get done"

Another one was about "Special High Intensity Training " ( abbreviated SH*T for short!!) IT WENT something like this:

"'All employees here at XYZ Company will receive a lot of SH*T for their specific job. A whole ration of SH*T will be passed out to each employee. Just when you think we are done with SH*T, WE'LL be happy to dispense MORE SH*T. If you dont feel you've had enough SH*T, ask, we'll be happy to give you more SH*T, in fact all the SH*T you can handle!"

They deserve as much respect as a Doctor does. EVERYONE deserve Respect regardless of job!!!

The best way to fix the lopsided economy in various cities with a high cost of living and high wealth citizens is to boot out all the illegals and to bus out all the low wage earners to other cities.

Those people making 200,000k plus a year will not be cleaning toilets, serving at restaurants, cleaning business and so on for 15 bucks an hour. They would demand 50 bucks an hour before they would stoop to do that kind of work. So that is what would have to happen.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM

266 posts, read 120,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The best way to fix the lopsided economy in various cities with a high cost of living and high wealth citizens is to boot out all the illegals and to bus out all the low wage earners to other cities.

Those people making 200,000k plus a year will not be cleaning toilets, serving at restaurants, cleaning business and so on for 15 bucks an hour. They would demand 50 bucks an hour before they would stoop to do that kind of work. So that is what would have to happen.
I've been dreaming of this scenario for a long, long time.

It would be a fascinating experiment in macroeconomics to see an exodus of low-wage workers in a very high COL area. I really do think the market wage would rocket past $40 an hour, taking out the vast majority of service businesses. Oh well, the tech workers will have to make their coffee at home and brown-bag it at work. Perhaps the company cafeteria and the Automat will come back into vogue. And the automation! It'd be a tech-lover's dream, to shop in stores with zero cashiers and zero lines. Just gotta watch out for the drones zipping all over the place, lol.

But just think how sterile such a society would be ...

Old Today, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,186 posts, read 55,056,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

No gas stations
No fast food
No restaurants
No hotels
No retail stores
No grocery stores
No online order pickers
No online shippers
No cabbies

One was;

That would not happen in some areas, like here, where very few are paid the minimum wage. When companies can't find help at low pay they are forced to pay more, and do. With our high cost of living they have to pay well above minimum to attract workers from less expensive areas who commute, most by bus, from 20-30 miles away. Even with such a strike gas stations would operate as they do now at night, with debit/credit only and self-serve. The employee there is just handling the convenience store and few cash customers.

Our as stations are paying $14-15, same with fast food - even McD starts at $15, they have signs posted in the window. They are always hiring and have trouble finding employees for two reasons:

1. The locals are making 6 figures and their high school kids don't need money

2. Those coming in from less expensive places don't stay long because the commute is so long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or