U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 639,612 times
Reputation: 3073

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sure, many things are costing more, but others less.



I was in college in the 70s, and remember the gas rationing and prices. Today, gas is cheaper than what I was paying in 1973. We are not in NY, but are in a high cost area near Seattle, where the median home price is now at $911,500. Our groceries have remained steady over the last 10 years, buying mostly at Costco. I have been amazed at how much cheaper manythings have gotten. We recently bought a new Microwave, and it was less than half of the first one we bought here in 1993. You can get a 43" 4k smart TV for $219. We paid $399 for our first new color TV, a 32" CRT back in the late 1970s.



More?


Your grocery bill - in 1982 a gallon of milk was $2.24, now I see it for $1.99. Prices for many other foods have dropped or at least the increases have been less than in the past.


We pay less for a domestic flight than we did in the 1980s
MP3 Players are much cheaper than when they first came out
While cell phone prices are up with so many fancy features, plans are now cheaper than in 2000
Digital Cameras have dropped in price constantly since 2000
Many computers, such as Chromebooks are dirt cheap compared to the early laptops and notebooks, I remember paying $3,000 for an IBM PC in the early 1980s, with only 256K memory, two floppy drives and no hard drive.


https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...-findings.aspx
Many staples now needed to combat long term health issues that were less frequent are more expensive such as :

Olive Oil (Organic)
Soymilk (Many including myself are lactose intolerant)
Organic Eggs
Organic vegetables (Soil is not as good as it was in the 70's plus more GMOs and nasty pesticides being used closer to harvest time)

The GOOD things get more expensive while the non-essential stuff has gotten cheaper. I am thankful for cheaper electronics, yet at the same time I wouldn't trade that for my health.

We've gotten the cloak and dagger routine. That cheaper gallon of milk has more rGBH than the one your Father drank as a kid and is essentially worth less. In the 70's that's when they already confirmed we have too many people on this planet and the health of people would inevitably decline because we'd have to GMO everything to feed everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 12:16 AM
 
4,514 posts, read 2,679,812 times
Reputation: 10572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If my grandfather were alive it would probably bring back some memories of 1970s style stagflation with a few differences of course. Prices have already snuck up. My grocery bill is 2x of what it was 7 years ago in NY.
If my grandfather were alive, itd bring back memories of The Great Depression and wws I and II!

I think after the recession of 1990, and 2008, i think we are due fir a nasty depression, not just recession.

The indicators from Jan 2019 on are what points to at least a good recession.

Housing starts were down, housing has been being discounted, and costs fior everything have gone up, especially groceries and household consumables, while quantities have again gone down.

Car sales down.

Wild rides on the stock market and trade wars

A president who is in love with noone but himself.

Oh, and Yup, America is really great again. (Sigh)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:01 AM
 
Location: NJ
24,376 posts, read 30,501,213 times
Reputation: 16277
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Maybe you are the one who don't belong in the economic forum. Why do you think I never replied to your message??? If you want to talk about investing go to Investing Forum. Here is the link; http://www.city-data.com/forum/investing/


Good Luck!
i didnt really give it any thought. thanks for the luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Vienna, VA
295 posts, read 157,877 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If my grandfather were alive it would probably bring back some memories of 1970s style stagflation with a few differences of course. Prices have already snuck up. My grocery bill is 2x of what it was 7 years ago in NY.
That's quite the increase! I'm in the D.C area and my grocery bill is lower from 7 years ago. The competition is fierce in the grocery space, the discount grocery stores like Aldi have been taking over. I recently bought strawberries for $1.50 and chicken breast for under $2/lb. 7 years ago I would have had to choose from Safeway or Giant and it would have been 2 - 3 times the price. Dairy in general has also come down in price from 2012. Eggs are almost given away at the current prices, under a $1 for a dozen eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
24,376 posts, read 30,501,213 times
Reputation: 16277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The GOOD things get more expensive while the non-essential stuff has gotten cheaper. I am thankful for cheaper electronics, yet at the same time I wouldn't trade that for my health.
you mean the trendy things not the good things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 AM
 
4,627 posts, read 4,782,069 times
Reputation: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
That's quite the increase! I'm in the D.C area and my grocery bill is lower from 7 years ago. The competition is fierce in the grocery space, the discount grocery stores like Aldi have been taking over. I recently bought strawberries for $1.50 and chicken breast for under $2/lb. 7 years ago I would have had to choose from Safeway or Giant and it would have been 2 - 3 times the price. Dairy in general has also come down in price from 2012. Eggs are almost given away at the current prices, under a $1 for a dozen eggs.
Yeah, same. Mine has gone up, but we've added two mouths to the mix. A gallon of milk by me is $1.29 and a lb of chicken breast is $1.99 those are two staples in our HH. Most meals are chicken based. We are around $380-$400 in food specific groceries every month for a family of 4, this includes some splurging on the weekends for things like steak, hamburgers, brats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:40 PM
 
3,978 posts, read 1,551,850 times
Reputation: 7833
"Can we grow our way out of a mountain of debt?"
sure we can. lots of things have to "fall our way"....
but we can. whether we will is another question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
 
Location: On the road
6,146 posts, read 2,984,100 times
Reputation: 11836
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
standard of living for most Americans are degrading and going downhill.
Unquantifiable claptrap that is only used as evidence in a weak argument. One person can wield a dozen stats to prove standard of living is improving, someone else can find a dozen stats to show the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
 
Location: On the road
6,146 posts, read 2,984,100 times
Reputation: 11836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Many staples now needed to combat long term health issues that were less frequent are more expensive such as :

Olive Oil (Organic)
Soymilk (Many including myself are lactose intolerant)
Organic Eggs
Organic vegetables (Soil is not as good as it was in the 70's plus more GMOs and nasty pesticides being used closer to harvest time)
Obviously the marketing budgets of companies that sell products based on hype and buzzwords are still keeping up with inflation, quite successfully.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
That cheaper gallon of milk has more rGBH than the one your Father drank as a kid and is essentially worth less.
Why does more rGBH make the milk worth less? It provides same nutrients.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
In the 70's that's when they already confirmed we have too many people on this planet and the health of people would inevitably decline because we'd have to GMO everything to feed everybody.
Nobody "confirmed" the health of people would decline because of GMO plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 639,612 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Obviously the marketing budgets of companies that sell products based on hype and buzzwords are still keeping up with inflation, quite successfully.

Why does more rGBH make the milk worth less? It provides same nutrients.

Nobody "confirmed" the health of people would decline because of GMO plants.
It is very clear you trust the the establishment as well as Monsanto and other CPG conglomerates to have your health and best interests at heart. Which is fine.

My message is for those who do not trust large corporations to prioritize nutritional value and purity over profit.

Please research the science and educate yourself. rGBH is NOT fit for human consumption. And there is no fundamental reason humans should be consuming cow's milk to begin with.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...h-hormone.html

The fact they had to make an article addressing this to assuage concerns in the scientific community indicates there is a real risk they are unwilling to research in depth to avoid massive financial implications for the dairy industry.

I have taken several Chemistry, Biology and Nutrition courses in University. I do not pull this information out of my a**, do the research yourself and recognize that the when you tamper with mother nature you get unintended consequences. Namely cancer.

But the media machines powered by CPGs (with huge marketing budgets, much larger than the ones of organic companies you allude to) say all is well and there's no reason you should spend more on your health.

If such was the case, they wouldn't be buying up these companies if the science was unfounded and there were no benefits. There is no money in proactive healthcare or disease prevention. Follow the money trail if you want to know the truth about anything in this society.

After Pepsi bought Naked juice guess what happened. The sugar content magically increased. They are the ones corrupting "healthy products". Read labels and you'll be easily able to decipher the real from the fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top