Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times

Advertisements

Sure, just make sure we bail out those businesses instead when they screw the people. Why would you want to help your neighbor? Morons abound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,802 times
People on public pensions were promised these plans if they put 20+ years in and do a good job. They earned them and deserve to be paid. I know some personally who absolutely hated their jobs, but stayed so they could get their pension. I blame the cities for promising these people something that they knew would cause this problem later on. There is no way away around it, taxes have to be raised. It is not fair to people who are not getting a pension, which includes me, but then again life is not fair. It would be more unfair to screw these people over.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
People on public pensions ... I know some personally who ... I blame the cities
Who, exactly, are these "cities"? Names and addresses please. Who, exactly, voted themselves these public pensions? Names and addresses please.

Quote:
There is no way away around it, taxes have to be raised.
To a large extent, people and policymakers have decided that debt financing is a more flexible tool than tax financing, even if it means a tainted money supply.

True, life is not fair, and good advice is don't expect it to be.

Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2019, 06:45 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
People on public pensions were promised these plans if they put 20+ years in and do a good job. They earned them and deserve to be paid. I know some personally who absolutely hated their jobs, but stayed so they could get their pension. I blame the cities for promising these people something that they knew would cause this problem later on. There is no way away around it, taxes have to be raised. It is not fair to people who are not getting a pension, which includes me, but then again life is not fair. It would be more unfair to screw these people over.
Problem is many of these states, cities, and other municipalities continue to offer pensions. Louisiana is one such state. In LA, you can vest after 5 years and get a nice pension. It is time for taxpayers to revolt..

Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Many of my friends were teachers in the midwest who have now retired with these over the top pensions. A few years ago everything changed and the districts came to their financial senses, new hires came in and will not be receiving the same pensions my friends get.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Many of my friends were teachers in the midwest who have now retired with these over the top pensions. A few years ago everything changed and the districts came to their financial senses, new hires came in and will not be receiving the same pensions my friends get.
Exactly. In Minnesota, the first wave of retirees became vested after only 3 years of work. Now it is 5 years to get vested. And the benefits are not as high as places like California and Illinois. Someone working 25 years will get only 42.5% of their final five-year average monthly salary. So, someone who retired at $4,000/month (average of final five years) may be getting $1,700/month in retirement. Someone working only 10 years receives 17% of their final five-year average income.

Someone in an earlier post demanded examples of cities that have unsustainable pensions. Some California cities are notorious. Just go to the California sub-forum and do a search on "retirement pension". People have posted about the ridiculous pensions promised to city employees, more specifically police and fire department workers. Many have monthly income that exceeds the salary they had while working. (We are talking in the $150,000/year or $12k-13k/month range.) As Edward Abbey famously stated: “There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.” Just do a websearch on the California Rule.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:44 AM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
This topic always exposes jealously. You chose your career and they chose theirs. If you are in a field that has been relentlessly minimizing your value go for it at your own risk.
Lowering the bar is exactly what the system has trained you to believe.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
CA (and other states) pensions systems are in big trouble and are unsustainable. It will be interesting to see what happens when funding levels fall to the point of no return. They are almost there and mismanagement will certainly assure they arrive there at some point.
Same in CT. And as soon as many of the state employees retire, they move out and take their pensions with them.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:46 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Same in CT. And as soon as many of the state employees retire, they move out and take their pensions with them.
This is what infuriates me. My BIL was a CA firefighter (who rarely saw action, by his own admission) and retired 20 years ago with one of those huge pensions. Yet all he could do was badmouth CA and beat it for Texas. The hypocrisy. He had a sign in his RV:
"Not born in TX but got here as soon as I could".

Yeah, with your generous CA pension!

Old 08-24-2019, 09:56 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Top person I met had a military pension for serving in the guards, a pension from the city police and a pension from county correctional facilities.

When California was trying to raise money for the fire fighters it was soon realized that one of the hardworking firefighters pictured drew an annual pension of $340K a year that had been pumped up in the last years by overtime amounts that essentially meant this guy did nothing put sleep less than 8 hours a day and worked and nothing else for a couple of years.

That's almost $1,000 a day to do nothing.

There's caring for someone in their old age, and then there's ridiculousness. I can't wait to relocate primary statehood back to SD where they have actually funded their modest pension program for their employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics