U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:12 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 20 days ago)

3,757 posts, read 665,851 times

Advertisements

What Can Uber Teach Us About the Gender Pay Gap? (Ep. 317) - Freakonomics Freakonomics

One of the honchos of Uber is also John List, chairman of the University of Chicago econ dept.

When I took economics many moons ago, I always noticed was that while the theories were incredibly thorough and amazing, empirical data was often slim to none. This meant that the critical step of the scientific method, namely testing of theories, always got the short shrift. Many an econ book had lots of graphs and equations, but virtually no real world data.

With a computer-based enterprise like Uber, this is finally beginning to change. Uber found that male drivers on average were making about 7% more than females. List and his colleagues set about to find out why. What they found after analyzing mountains of data was a surprise. There were three big factors contributing to the gap, and if these were controlled for, there was no gap.

1)males and females tended to work different 'shifts.'

Quote:
So we find that where people pick up is more important for contributing to the gender gap than the when. There are differences between when men and women drive. Men are much more likely to drive the graveyard overnight shift, which could have more people coming home from bars or whatnot.
2)there is a learning effect for drivers. The longer, they're on the job, the more they learn to maximize income. Not surprising:

Quote:
LIST: When you look at the experience of our drivers or the average tenure, this is heavily tilted in men’s direction. Men are far more likely to have been driving on Uber for over two years. Women are likely to have just joined in recent months, and this is because women leave the platform much more often than men.
3)The biggest factor of all--the male drivers were driving an average of about 2% faster:

Quote:
LIST: That’s right. So after we account for experience now we’re left scratching our heads. So, we’re thinking, “Well, we’ve tried discrimination. We’ve done where, when. We’ve done experience. What possibly could it be?” What we notice in the data is that men are actually completing more trips per hour than women. So this is sort of a eureka moment.
DUBNER: They’re driving faster, aren’t they?
HALL: Yeah. So the third factor, which explains the remaining 50 percent of the gap, is speed.
DIAMOND: So men happen to just drive a little bit faster, and because driving a little bit faster gets you to finish your trips that much quicker, and get on to the next trip, you can fit more trips in an hour, and you end up with a higher amount of pay.
In the end they concluded that there was not a gender pay gap, at least not a 'per se' gap based on discrimination. There was just a driver behavior gap. Transcript and podcast can be found at the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:27 PM

127 posts, read 6,344 times
None of the above is true. The ONLY possible explanation is sexism.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

9,739 posts, read 7,364,217 times
I have been in female-driven rideshares, and more times the women drive well under the speed limit than men.

they don't usually play the music as loudly, and their cars are usually cleaner though.

Old Today, 07:03 PM

7,809 posts, read 3,059,116 times
My pick up this morning told me more men can’t find her address and give up, actually get mad at her about it. I refused to give up and got a $10 tip. I do drive faster than necessary though, I must confess...must be the “man” in me. 🤷🏼 Oh, and I have mints and bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics