U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:47 AM

28,838 posts, read 62,909,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
She lost her job in 2009 and lived off 2 years of unemployment. She lived at home and traveled a lot with that. After that, she earned two graduate degrees. She know has a lot of student debt, but she doesnít pay much because she is on some sort of income contingent plan. She has benefited from free living with her parents and various boyfriends, but most of her income has come from the US government in the form of unemployment and government loans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfaYV9Igeo
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:11 AM

17,529 posts, read 19,786,527 times
Women can often get financial support from various sources. They don’t always need to work for money.

This is true even today.

Old Today, 06:41 AM

3,793 posts, read 1,309,393 times
Quote:
She lost her job in 2009 and lived off 2 years of unemployment. She lived at home and traveled a lot with that. After that, she earned two graduate degrees. She know has a lot of student debt, but she doesn’t pay much because she is on some sort of income contingent plan. She has benefited from free living with her parents and various boyfriends, but most of her income has come from the US government in the form of unemployment and government loans.
So a couple things.

1. If she's been out of work since 2009 and only received employment for 2 years, how can she still be supporting herself with income she hasn't received since 2011?

2. The only "government loans" she seems to be getting are for education, which aren't easy to abuse as they are disbursed directly to the school. Besides, if she's earned two graduate degrees, she's obviously making good use of her student loans.

As far as being supported by her parents and various boyfriends, why should that concern you? It's their money to spend however they like.

With a judgmental "friend" like you, she certainly doesn't need enemies.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

8,304 posts, read 2,434,109 times
I have a friend who worked for about 6 months after college. That's it. He's 67 now. His dad owned a manufacturing company in Indy, died, and left him enough money to live his entire life comfortably.

Old Today, 07:48 AM

2,329 posts, read 1,603,605 times
there are still many women who get degrees to attract a good husband instead of using the degree to work. They have no intention of actually working, just need something to show a guy she is independent until he proposes and then she can live off of his money

Old Today, 08:44 AM

2,641 posts, read 4,040,499 times
Quote:
1. If she's been out of work since 2009 and only received employment for 2 years, how can she still be supporting herself with income she hasn't received since 2011?
She's NOT supporting herself, she's living off others.

Quote:
2. The only "government loans" she seems to be getting are for education, which aren't easy to abuse as they are disbursed directly to the school. Besides, if she's earned two graduate degrees, she's obviously making good use of her student loans.
Incorrect. Student loan money can be dispersed directly to students. Students use student loan money for all sorts of living expenses while in school - buying cars, paying rent, groceries, etc. My oldest daughter had a scheme going on where she would sign up for a full coarse load and then drop a class or two and get loan money refunded to her, and she used it for anything she wanted to. Thank god I caught on to that and ended it quickly.

Quote:
As far as being supported by her parents and various boyfriends, why should that concern you? It's their money to spend however they like.
Because they're doing nothing more than enabling her, and as much as they believe they're helping, they're actually hurting her in the long run.

Quote:
With a judgmental "friend" like you, she certainly doesn't need enemies.
No, she certainly doesn't need more enemies, as she's her own biggest enemy already. She should actually be thankful to have a friend who worries about her enough to tell her what she doesn't want to hear. I am personally very thankful that in my younger years, I had people who loved me enough to tell me I how stupid I was.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,623,269 times
Quote:
I am not passing value judgements here, this is an Economics forum. I am just noting that this whole individualís lifestyle has been funded by Chinese debt over the past few years. Things will get interesting.

Your note is wrong. China owns about 5% of US debt. Japan actually owns much more.

Old Today, 09:01 AM

4,206 posts, read 1,807,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
She's NOT supporting herself, she's living off others.

Incorrect. Student loan money can be dispersed directly to students. Students use student loan money for all sorts of living expenses while in school - buying cars, paying rent, groceries, etc. My oldest daughter had a scheme going on where she would sign up for a full coarse load and then drop a class or two and get loan money refunded to her, and she used it for anything she wanted to. Thank god I caught on to that and ended it quickly.

Because they're doing nothing more than enabling her, and as much as they believe they're helping, they're actually hurting her in the long run.

No, she certainly doesn't need more enemies, as she's her own biggest enemy already. She should actually be thankful to have a friend who worries about her enough to tell her what she doesn't want to hear. I am personally very thankful that in my younger years, I had people who loved me enough to tell me I how stupid I was.
Student loan money goes to the school to pay for tuition and other fees, and then the remainder goes to the student after the school year starts. Each school sets a reasonable student budget based on the studentís status (i.e. whether they are single, have a child... etc.) and that is the max a student can receive. Students arenít able just to take out whatever they want in student loans and buy cars. If they do, that is fraud, which is an entirely different issue. The OP has provided no information about what degrees her friend has obtained. It could be an MS/PhD for all we know, and the combination of those two could reasonably take 6 or even 8 years depending on the subject.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

3,624 posts, read 1,997,629 times
Quote:
I am not passing value judgements here, . .
That didn't last long. "Sex and the City lifestyle"? LOL. '

Please inquire what her plan, if any, is for gainful employment in the near future and report back to us!

Old Today, 09:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 2,118,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
there are still many women who get degrees to attract a good husband instead of using the degree to work. They have no intention of actually working, just need something to show a guy she is independent until he proposes and then she can live off of his money
Truth. We jokingly referred to those women as getting their "MRS Degree".

I knew a woman who actually went and got a Masters in Nuclear Physics but ended up marrying a much older guy she met at some professional conference in the field and never ended up using the degree. Just had a bunch of kids and raised his family as a SAHM. Super smart (obviously) but never had any real intention of using her degree. Some would say it's a waste of talent, etc, but honestly I'm not going to judge. It's her life to live as she sees fit and honestly she seems pretty happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or