U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 05:18 PM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,237 posts, read 3,440,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
So a couple things.

1. If she's been out of work since 2009 and only received employment for 2 years, how can she still be supporting herself with income she hasn't received since 2011?

2. The only "government loans" she seems to be getting are for education, which aren't easy to abuse as they are disbursed directly to the school. Besides, if she's earned two graduate degrees, she's obviously making good use of her student loans.

As far as being supported by her parents and various boyfriends, why should that concern you? It's their money to spend however they like.

With a judgmental "friend" like you, she certainly doesn't need enemies.

I'd rather be judgmental than an enabler, or encouraging bad behavior. Her present path is not going to do her, or the government/us taxpayers who she owes money to, any good. This chick sounds like a real piece of work.
What does she do all day? At her age she needs to be an adult, and work or do *something* productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:34 PM

295 posts, read 125,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Given how much college costs have risen recently, there's good reason for it. My own alma mater is well over double, pushing triple, what it cost for me to go in the 2000s. And I thought it was bad then.
People often comment on how much more expensive college tuition is these days, but very few people ask why it is so much more expensive. With the advent of the Internet and other technological improvements, education should have gotten less expensive, not more expensive.

I think the government assistance may be distorting the market. People aren't as concerned as they would be if they were spending their own money - it can seem like play money to them. And if you look at many Universities today, they have much fancier sports facilities and perks than they did back in the day, and many of them have more administrators than faculty (ex. diversity administrators, etc)

Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 PM

26,379 posts, read 28,802,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
People often comment on how much more expensive college tuition is these days, but very few people ask why it is so much more expensive. With the advent of the Internet and other technological improvements, education should have gotten less expensive, not more expensive.

I think the government assistance may be distorting the market. People aren't as concerned as they would be if they were spending their own money - it can seem like play money to them. And if you look at many Universities today, they have much fancier sports facilities and perks than they did back in the day, and many of them have more administrators than faculty (ex. diversity administrators, etc)
Bingo.

Even Elizabeth Warren, before she became a politician, mentioned in her book The Two Income Trap, that college costs had become unnecessarily bloated.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,446,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Bingo.

Even Elizabeth Warren, before she became a politician, mentioned in her book The Two Income Trap, that college costs had become unnecessarily bloated.
Elizabeth Warren is all talk. She made a hefty salary being a tenured professor. The only way she got her cushy position was by lying about her heritage. Do people honestly believe that a woman who gamed and benefited from a rigged system will actually fix it?

Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM

1,960 posts, read 784,677 times
I knew a person who got laid off in about 2004 and got another real job in 2017. They got a master's during that time and sold stuff online, but not enough for it to be a full-time salary.

I don't know much about their life, how long they searched for a real job, but I'm amazed someone hired that person whose last real job was 13 years ago.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:16 PM

10,195 posts, read 3,909,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Your friend is going to have quite a problem when it comes time to collect Social Security
This.

When she gets old, it's going to get really, really bad.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM

1,960 posts, read 784,677 times
Quote:
How are these alleged people surviving without income?

No, a PERSON is subsidizing them - the spouse/partner or the parents.
Exactly. People who still live with their parents and whose parents still pay everything for them. They are beyond their 20s too, so you can't say, "Well, they're still young."

Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM

10,195 posts, read 3,909,513 times
Quote:
I pointed this out to someone recently and she said "but professors have to get paid somehow and they need money for the buildings". I think the general public is not aware of how bloated college costs have become.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,446,927 times
Quote:
How are these alleged people surviving without income?

STUDENT LOANS ARE NOT WELFARE! You have to pay them back with interest.

No, a PERSON is subsidizing them - the spouse/partner or the parents.
Loans cover your living expenses, your food, your rent, etc. She has lived off loans the past several years while shacking up with guys and staying with her parents. Since being out of school, she hasnít been paying anything back. She does part time ESL work and since she earns so little on the books, her loan repayment on income contingent repayment is close to zero.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM

10,527 posts, read 12,474,233 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I pointed this out to someone recently and she said "but professors have to get paid somehow and they need money for the buildings". I think the general public is not aware of how bloated college costs have become.

2 strong points! Also if "play money, aka loans suddenly dried up" then colleges would be forced to lower tuition to entice students!

But, if students refused to pay the exorbitant fees then, once again prices would have to drop. My alma mater was $2500 a class when I went there, today it is almost $6000 per class! It was my choice to attend there, I paid the tuition myself (no loans). If I couldn't cover the semester I would charge the balance on a credit card (paying it off throughout the semester). I figured short term high interest was better than low interest long term debt..........turns out I was right!

I know of a recent high school grad that got a 23K scholarship to my alma mater (60K total expense). So 37K X 4 years = 150K to graduate. She declined and attended a state school (that actually ranked higher for academics) for -$28,000 cost..............she is getting paid 7K a year to attend there for free! That kid figured out the math before she enrolled anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or