U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 PM

1,525 posts, read 350,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Elizabeth Warren is all talk. She made a hefty salary being a tenured professor. The only way she got her cushy position was by lying about her heritage. Do people honestly believe that a woman who gamed and benefited from a rigged system will actually fix it?

Elizabeth Warren was paid over $400K to teach one college class while lying about being a Native American. And now she wants a taxpayer bailout for people like the OP's friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 PM

13,941 posts, read 8,762,054 times
Quote:
Elizabeth Warren is all talk. She made a hefty salary being a tenured professor. The only way she got her cushy position was by lying about her heritage. Do people honestly believe that a woman who gamed and benefited from a rigged system will actually fix it?
Probably not, but I'd sure love to see her get the nomination.
Trump would clean her clock. Yes, she would have her followers, and would win the usual states, but she could not beat Trump.
And that's good.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,446,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Elizabeth Warren was paid over $400K to teach one college class while lying about being a Native American. And now she wants a taxpayer bailout for people like the OP's friend.
Obama already gave people like my friend a bailout. She only has to wait out the clock for 10 years doing some sort of b.s. public sector or public good work and all of her loans will be forgiven after 10 years. By that time, her loans will be in the hundreds of thousands. Even if she doesnít get some bs public service gig, she just has to marry some dude and file separately and the taxpayers will pick up the tab after 25 years. Warren will just expand these programs and shorten the deadlines. Trump hasnít done anything to close these loopholes either. All the plans are still in place while student loan debt and the deficit continue to spiral out of control. Itís very easy to game the system if you know what you are doing and a lot of people are gaming the system. I think she will just work until the next recession and then collect the 2 years of unemployment again. Maybe she will go back to school after that

Last edited by ny789987; 08-26-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 PM

2,473 posts, read 582,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I know of a recent high school grad that got a 23K scholarship to my alma mater (60K total expense). So 37K X 4 years = 150K to graduate. She declined and attended a state school (that actually ranked higher for academics) for -$28,000 cost..............she is getting paid 7K a year to attend there for free! That kid figured out the math before she enrolled anywhere!
Huh? A (sports or academic) scholarship award is given from (and for) a specific school, coinciding with acceptance (or even in advance of an application). Many high schools have Ďscholarship dayí (especially in sports) to honor those students. You canít Ďtake it with youí to attend another college - and many scholarships from private universities will be a higher award (obviously).

Old 08-26-2019, 09:21 PM

5,495 posts, read 3,826,311 times
I would do a student loan forgiveness program but tie it to some kind of service obligation. Significant service.

I would also haul a bunch of college presidents before congress and grill them, demand to know why they've raised costs 150-300% since last decade.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

731 posts, read 219,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Your friend is going to have quite a problem when it comes time to collect Social Security
Add to that the Reality Check she'll experience after she "hits the wall", and her perceived value in the sexual marketplace drops faster than the thermometer on a Wyoming winter evening. She better hope that Mom and Pop are loaded.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM

26,379 posts, read 28,802,735 times
Quote:
I don't know why you have to get all snarky. I'm not sure as to the specific reasons as to how she got her position, but otherwise, I agree with you.

You missed my key phrase "before she became a politician" (i.e. before she had to become a professional liar to get votes). My whole point was that even liars let the truth out once in a while.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM

26,379 posts, read 28,802,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I pointed this out to someone recently and she said "but professors have to get paid somehow and they need money for the buildings". I think the general public is not aware of how bloated college costs have become.
It's because anyone who points this out gets shamed and told they're "anti-education".

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

809 posts, read 225,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Your friend is going to have quite a problem when it comes time to collect Social Security
The OP most likely does not know the whole story:
the unemployed friend could be through her parents independently wealthy...
Is there any way to truly know about oneís real financial situation vs what they telling you?

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,402,299 times
Quote:
I donít know, but you could say the same about the current occupant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or