Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:19 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

She lost her job in 2009 and lived off 2 years of unemployment. She lived at home and traveled a lot with that. After that, she earned two graduate degrees. She know has a lot of student debt, but she doesn’t pay much because she is on some sort of income contingent plan. She has benefited from free living with her parents and various boyfriends, but most of her income has come from the US government in the form of unemployment and government loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 PM

999 posts, read 553,675 times
...Okay? And?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
She lost her job in 2009 and lived off 2 years of unemployment. She lived at home and traveled a lot with that. After that, she earned two graduate degrees. She know has a lot of student debt, but she doesn’t pay much because she is on some sort of income contingent plan. She has benefited from free living with her parents and various boyfriends, but most of her income has come from the US government in the form of unemployment and government loans.
I read through your previous posts to get a feel for how you think.
If this sort of stuff leaves you with not much to say, you are not alone. The world is full of people who simply feel that they need not pay their own way, or earn their own keep. I have never been like that and never could be like that.
Your story reminds me of the seemingly endless "Instagram Models" who have met their fate playing at life around the edges. I prefer to take a bigger bite and chew hard. In fact, I have neither respect nor admiration for the "fluffball" you described. She is not qualified to be my friend.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:49 PM

I am not passing value judgements here, this is an Economics forum. I am just noting that this whole individual’s lifestyle has been funded by Chinese debt over the past few years. Things will get interesting.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
The parents and the various boyfriends chose to support her. Now we need a system where lenders, not the taxpayers, are left holding the bag when someone doesn't pay their student loans. We'd see a lot fewer people like your friend getting them.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The parents and the various boyfriends chose to support her. Now we need a system where lenders, not the taxpayers, are on the hook when someone doesn't pay their student loans.
But that is not how it works. From the way she described it to me, she only has to pay a percentage of her income. Since she isn’t working right now, her payments are basically 0 and the government is going to be on the hook for funding part of her lifestyle (hundreds of thousands of $’s) over the past decade. If she gets married, plays housewife, and files separately, she will never have to pay anything. Interesting strategy. Have the government subsidize your single non-working Sex and the City life when you are in your 20’s and then marry into the money and leave the Chinese and federal treasury with the tab.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
People living off the government teat is nothing new, only now, it seems to be acceptable to much of the populace.

Does this friend of yours ever intend to seek gainful employment again? It will be difficult having been out of the workforce for a decade.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 PM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
You have an interesting choice in friends. Is she ever planning to get a job? Since student loans are typically capped at 12 semesters, how did she manage two graduate degrees? Her undergrad plus a two-year graduate degree would be the maximum. Additionally, many graduate degrees require a solid work history and/or apprenticeship for a competitive edge in acceptance (in addition to three years). Jumping from one graduate program to the next with no relative work experience in-between wouldn’t be viewed favorably for acceptance, yet alone in terms of a financial aid package.

Tell your friend to get a job.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:38 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
and leave the Chinese and federal treasury with the tab.
Yeah I'm wondering how this will turn out in general with low employment prospects in both countries relative to the demand for work based on the population. China is WAY overleveraged so them buying our debt doesn't mean much if their GDP is overvalued, labor productivity decreases and they sit atop mounds of fake yuan thanks to shadow banks and real estate bubbles the likes of which we cannot even fathom.

I'd be surprised if the street has priced this all in already. Seeing as how the average hedge fund manager has Tunnel vision I just don't think it is. A couple million Blood sucking leeches in USA will be the least of our concerns if both China and the EU collapse.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Your friend is going to have quite a problem when it comes time to collect Social Security
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics